Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

SVX out of storage

I have a friend with an SVX that's been in storage for 2 years. We're going to get it running again this weekend. Any tips/tricks for reviving a slumbering SVX?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Put in a fresh battery and turn the key.

Sometime soon it might be smart to change the oil, air filter, fuel filter, atf, gear oil in front and rear diffs, ect. Might also wanna seafoam it...but this stuff can wait untill after a fun "I just got back in the drivers seat" drive
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Change the oil before running it then 500 miles later unless it was done immediately prior to storage. Put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank now as she's gonna have varnish issues even if you stored it with stabil. Turn the crank pulley over slowly by hand or pull the plugs and add a little oil. She's dry as a bone in there after 2 years. Check to see that mice haven't taken over the air filter.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Oil

In older cars with distributors, it was always recommended to disconnect the distributor and then crank the engine for several seconds. This would pump oil up without starting the car and initially running on oil dry bearings. I guess the same could be done on this by disconnecting the electrical harness to each side of the engine.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-04-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
In older cars with distributors, it was always recommended to disconnect the distributor and then crank the engine for several seconds. This would pump oil up without starting the car and initially running on oil dry bearings. I guess the same could be done on this by disconnecting the electrical harness to each side of the engine.

Lee
Recommended by morons maybe, it really should go slow then quicker. No oil is no oil and when you start moving something quickly in there it isn't good. Its better than nothing but not nearly as good as 1. Putting some oil into the plugs and 2. Turning the crank by hand for a few minutes.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 AM

o.m. fudgin. G

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Recommended by morons maybe, it really should go slow then quicker. No oil is no oil and when you start moving something quickly in there it isn't good. Its better than nothing but not nearly as good as 1. Putting some oil into the plugs and 2. Turning the crank by hand for a few minutes.
is this a mecedes or a bmw NO. just check the oils evrywhere and start the freakin car. you guys always think negative. start think positive. i have had over 10 svx's and tell you mine barely ever broke Ever. start the damn thing and take it for a drive. just let it warm up.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Hummm

Quote:
Put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank now as she's gonna have varnish issues even if you stored it with stabil. Turn the crank pulley over slowly by hand or pull the plugs and add a little oil. She's dry as a bone in there after 2 years. Check to see that mice haven't taken over the air filter.
Let's see--horizontally opposed--cylinders horizonal--oil in horizontal spark plug hole---seems will only provide minor quantities of oil to bottom side of piston and not much else. Oil is needed at crank bearings, cam surfaces, lash adjusters, etc. Quite doubtful much will get to these surfaces with recommended procedures. The challenge is to get sufficient oil while not turning the engine at running rpms that can damage essentially dry surfaces.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...or, you can do what we did to and svx that sat for 4 years in a junk yard, and put fresh oil and a battery in it and start it up. Im pretty sure the same lack of special procedure was used to revive my 92 that sat for a year as well

Oil in the spark plug holes is a good idea...but come on now, you know how hard it is to CHANGE the things, let alone get a bit of oil in the cylinder.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Let's see--horizontally opposed--cylinders horizonal--oil in horizontal spark plug hole---seems will only provide minor quantities of oil to bottom side of piston and not much else. Oil is needed at crank bearings, cam surfaces, lash adjusters, etc. Quite doubtful much will get to these surfaces with recommended procedures. The challenge is to get sufficient oil while not turning the engine at running rpms that can damage essentially dry surfaces.

Lee
I said nothing about flat engines, just questioned the bad advice you had gotten regarding restarting any car. FYI the starter motor will spin the engine at about 700rpms. Not much different than an idle. Remember, I came from a Triumph family. Just the kind of car that cannot survive a second of nasty weather outside.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Startup

Quote:
FYI the starter motor will spin the engine at about 700rpms. Not much different than an idle.
Remember, our cars run at 1100rpms at start up and finally drop to the 700rpm idle after some warmup.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Remember, our cars run at 1100rpms at start up and finally drop to the 700rpm idle after some warmup.

Lee
You're missing my point. 700rpm isn't good on an engine with no oil in it what so ever that has sat that way for how long. Ask a mechanic, not a moron next time.