Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
My main reason for looking at an 05 is because theyre making hellacious deals on them.
My reason for looking at the '06 WRX is for the improved brakes, suspension, 17" wheels, bigger tires, larger fuel injectors (new blue injectors flow 555cc's according to Cobb - same as STI pinks), and slightly stronger trans (new double synchros).

-Chike

P.S. One other improvement in the '06 WRX is the addition of the STI steering rack which gives it a quicker steering ratio and only 2.7 turns from lock-to-lock.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 01-04-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

If my budget could handle 23.5 id be glad to go for one as well lol

I think id be sitting in a 05 Mustang GT for that but Im partial the the WRX... I dare say if I get it it'll be staying stock... the more i mod the more things break it seems lol

Last edited by Boxer6SVX; 01-04-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
If my budget could handle 23.5 id be glad to go for one as well lol

I think id be sitting in a 05 Mustang GT for that but Im partial the the WRX... I dare say if I get it it'll be staying stock... the more i mod the more things break it seems lol
Those new mustangs look great, and have such a super-strong aftermarket. However, while it may be the perfect car for you...my family needs me to have a four season car with four doors. '06 WRX ftw!!!

-Chike

Old 01-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

yeah Stangs dont have rear seats they have rear shelves purely a car insurance point.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Certified Porschephile

So how do you think the Chike-mobile vs the Tigershark will shake out? If it's raining, I think it's safe to say you'll have me beat!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

I stand by Chike... hes a cool guy plus u never know what he may have up his sleeve
I bet Chikes car insurance is alot less either way haha
Old 01-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Certified Porschephile

2006 WRX vs 1988 951, I would think the insurance would be close in ratings points. PA is fairly reasonable in general. The one I'm looking at is 247hp and 271tq at the wheels. How much does a 06 WRX TR weigh? I should be around 3300lbs or so with driver.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
2006 WRX vs 1988 951, I would think the insurance would be close in ratings points. PA is fairly reasonable in general. The one I'm looking at is 247hp and 271tq at the wheels. How much does a 06 WRX TR weigh? I should be around 3300lbs or so with driver.
The '06 regular 5spd WRX weighs 3190lbs. The TR is about 20lbs lighter I'm told (no six disc cd changer, no heated seats, no fog lights). Cobb also saw 202hp at the wheels on the stock '06 (see the 2nd to last post on the first page for the dyno plot). With driver my car should come in at around 3,330lbs depending on fuel load.

If it was a dry day and you could get your rear tires to hook up, it'll be no contest. The Porsche will beat me each and every single run. If the road is a little dusty or there's some precipitation, then the tables *may* slowly start to turn in my favor.

My car will still be stock enough to have an active warranty by Reading. Only mods I plan by then are the Kartboy short shifter, better tires, an STI panel filter and an OEM STI axle back exhaust. Power level will be roughly the same, but the car will be a little more responsive and easier to drive fast.

-Chike

Old 01-04-2006, 11:09 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
My reason for looking at the '06 WRX is for the improved brakes, suspension, 17" wheels, bigger tires, larger fuel injectors (new blue injectors flow 555cc's according to Cobb - same as STI pinks), and slightly stronger trans (new double synchros).

-Chike

P.S. One other improvement in the '06 WRX is the addition of the STI steering rack which gives it a quicker steering ratio and only 2.7 turns from lock-to-lock.
Yeah, I say the '06 WRX is hands-down winner over the '05 WRX. Are you saving money to replace the OEM '06 WRX grille? :-)

BTW, the '05 WRX 5MT has double cone synchros on 2nd and 3rd gear. For '06, Subaru added a double cone synchro to 1st gear to improve the smoothness of downshifting into 1st gear. The double cone synchro doesn't do anything for strength though. There is really not much more that Subaru can do for the strength of the 5MT except to use thicker gear teeth like the STi RA gears or perhaps to strengthen the case. The theory about strengthening the case is mostly conjecture though, and there are rumors that the '05 LGT has a strengthened case. Rallispec claims that the real weakness of the 5MT is that the mainshaft is not supported well enough and flexes badly under power allowing the gears to separate. The shaft is already as thick as it can possibly be, and there is no room to add additional support. So, I know that you'll take care of your new REX, but don't expect the '06 5MT to be bullet proof.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 01-04-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd

-Chike

I went hunting for a WRX in 05, The best deal I was offered was from Frederick Motor Co, ( MD) An 05, WRX 6 Sp, Twin turbo, 4 dr hatch w/spoiler and scoop at 1.5% and a base of $20.500.. I don't know where they are now, but this is a GREAT place to start!!
Jerry

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 01-05-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Yeah, I say the '06 WRX is hands-down winner over the '05 WRX. Are you saving money to replace the OEM '06 WRX grille? :-)

BTW, the '05 WRX 5MT has double cone synchros on 2nd and 3rd gear. For '06, Subaru added a double cone synchro to 1st gear to improve the smoothness of downshifting into 1st gear. The double cone synchro doesn't do anything for strength though. There is really not much more that Subaru can do for the strength of the 5MT except to use thicker gear teeth like the STi RA gears or perhaps to strengthen the case. The theory about strengthening the case is mostly conjecture though, and there are rumors that the '05 LGT has a strengthened case. Rallispec claims that the real weakness of the 5MT is that the mainshaft is not supported well enough and flexes badly under power allowing the gears to separate. The shaft is already as thick as it can possibly be, and there is no room to add additional support. So, I know that you'll take care of your new REX, but don't expect the '06 5MT to be bullet proof.
Ha ha ha! I actually kinda like the front grill, so that part will remain untouched.

The new double cone synchro in first gear for improved shifting smoothness makes sense, and I've come to accept that the USDM Subaru 5spd is far from being bullet-proof in stock form. I don't plan on adding any major power mods in my first year of ownership and definitely nothing that'll cause my factory warranty to be voided.

My main objective with the car will be a D-stock SCCA autoX campaign in '06 with hopes of making regional run-offs and maybe even nationals! I'm officially a member of the SCCA as of January 1st 2006, and I plan on competing at each and every autox meet with my local Blue Ridge Region SCCA chapter. I ordered a full-face Snell M2000 helmet (which I'm told will be legal for another 5+ years), and I plan on sourcing a spare set of stock wheels and then some sticky tires later in the Spring.

'06 should be a great year!

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 01-05-2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser
I went hunting for a WRX in 05, The best deal I was offered was from Frederick Motor Co, ( MD) An 05, WRX 6 Sp, Twin turbo, 4 dr hatch w/spoiler and scoop at 1.5% and a base of $20.500.. I don't know where they are now, but this is a GREAT place to start!!
Jerry
Subi-crosser, the Subaru you describe doesn't exist as no base WRX comes with a 6spd, and no factory WRX to date (STI included) comes with twin turbos.

Either way, the dealer I'm working with is an hour from my home and in VA so my WRX TR will already have a VA state inspection sticker on it and I'll be able to get VA tags at the dealer. I'm not worried about pinching pennies on this purchase and I'm set on buying from Bill @ Pence Subaru. Great guy and he can have me in and out in 90 minutes or less.

-Chike

Old 01-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Dont Drink and Drift

Quote:
Twin turbo,
Chike its the TOP SECRET WRX STi-TT

And how the hell do would you fit twins on a Boxer 4 anyhow? lol Im sure in some realm its possible tho. Nothing like a twin turbo porsche right?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Chike its the TOP SECRET WRX STi-TT

And how the hell do would you fit twins on a Boxer 4 anyhow? lol Im sure in some realm its possible tho. Nothing like a twin turbo porsche right?
It's possible. There's actually an owner of an '04 STI with a supercharged twin-turbo'd set-up. Has a torque curve as flat as a mid-western railroad!

-Chike

Old 01-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Dont Drink and Drift

Thats just crazy... and doesnt sound very streetable lol

Hell, turbocharged V8's still mindboggles me... best of both worlds... V8 sound and a BOV.... *drools*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: