Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
No, actually my arguemement was that at 83mph faster than traffic you would still be able to see other cars on the road. At which point you would be fully capable of slowing down. If you chose not to slow down, at that point you would be driving recklessly.

You cannot make a ruling based on what could have happened. If that were the case, then I propose we arrest every individual who owns a gun. Because after all, they might actually pull the trigger.

Take your gun out on the street and flash it around..... Yeah, you'll be arrested for reckless endangerment.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-10-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
the horror!!!

THE STORY NEVER SAYS THE BIKER WAS TRAVELING AT 128MPH!!! The story says that the cop was traveling at 128mph, it is vary possible that the biker passed the cop at 90mph not seeing officer friendly, and the officer had to drive 128mph to catch the biker, then said biker pulled right over as he should. Two clues lead me to believe he did not try to evade, the first is the fact that the story says nothing about it, and the press usually likes to get all those juicy details in, the second is the low fine, if you are ticketed for pulling a trailer in CA at 56mph the fine starts for a first offender at $385.

Huh! Good point!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Here is a better/more detailed account of what happened.

And here is the reason it is not reckless:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...oc/nespeed.pdf
But...then back to where we started.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Bipa

Lets see if I understand this right. Nebraska state highways have a speed limit of 60 mph. The motorcycle was originally measured to be going at 82 mph. This was not a controlled access freeway, but had unrestricted entrances and exits, some hidden. Tim Salmon, traffic sergeant for the Nebraska State Patrol, testified "it was at dusk in an area where deer may have been crossing the road" and "there was also the danger of a collision if another vehicle was entering the roadway over the crest of the many hills common to the stretch of roadway."

Then the motorcycles sped up, but it is questionable whether they drove faster as a result of spotting the state trooper, or were just having fun. My guess would be that they spotted the trooper, but let's leave that one as not proven.

In my opinion, going more than 22 mph over the limit, at dusk with limited visibility, on motorcycles, in an area known for deer, with road entrances hidden by hilly terrain, is absolute idiocy!

These guys have a death wish. Let's hope they don't take anyone else with them when that wish is granted.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I have seen what a deer can do to a motorcycle at 100MPH. It was at Road America back in the late 80's. It was a freakin mess. It was a National champion motorcycle driver on a closed course and he couldn't stop the bike in time.

Anyway,

Quote:
And here is the reason it is not reckless:

Quote:
"Willful reckless driving" is defined as operating a motor vehicle "in such a manner as to indicate a willful disregard for the safety of persons or property"
Ummm, Did you read that before you typed your post? That describes the bikers driving perfectly.

They were speeding at dusk (the worst time of the day for visibility).
They attempted to elude an officer (apparently his friend succeeded).
They were unable to safely react to any situation at the speed they were going.

They were a textbook definition of reckless.

Just because one local judge in one little po-dunk town wants to stir things up doesn't mean that any other judge in the country would agree. There is no precedence set here that wouldn't be countered by tens of thousands of more logical rulings. This is just one judge misinterpreting the law. That's why it made the news.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 AM

I think it's a "connections" thing. I really feel there may be a touch of corruption on this one.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Hitchhikin'

I believe that the events leading to the citation may not be as severe as the media initially suggested.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How fast do you usually travel on the autobahn with the Justy?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
How fast do you usually travel on the autobahn with the Justy?
Our Justy has a theoretical top speed of about 165km/hr, or 102.5 mph. It is also a '93, with ECVT transmission, and starts to get a bit shaky around 135-140 km/hr. This car is our workhorse, and is great for city driving. It doesn't have the power to be a good highway cruiser, though it gets ya where you need to go.

I'm usually going about 120km/hr or 74.5 mph on the autobahn in the Justy. I stay in the right lane most of the time, but large trucks are limited to only 100km/hr (62 mph) and it is no fun sitting behind a truck for long on the autobahn. The problem with the Justy is that between 100 and 130 km/hr the darn putt-putt has no power to rapidly accelerate. It takes a little while for me to pass those trucks, and meanwhile I've got fast cars coming up from behind at 200+km/hr. Blocking the left lane and having a fast car practically climbing up the back of the Justy, or actually getting rear-ended, is even less fun that being stuck behind a truck . So I try to anticipate, but in the end usually end up waiting for a nice long empty stretch when I won't be blocking anyone in the left lane as I'm passing.

I suppose I really shouldn't complain too much about the Justy. It's just that in comparison with the SVX... well... guess I've gotten really spoiled
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I've been up to 157kph with our 88 Justy (no EFI, 5MT, 4WD, closed course) with a strong back wind

Have you heard of the "Super Justy"? I've posted about it a couple times here.

Last edited by Earthworm; 12-15-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

pulled for 152 in a 1989 Thunderbird SC 5 speed when I was 18. Of course it had an Eaton M112 and a 10% underdrive pulley... no license for 6 months. I was so stupid.

Learned my lesson very quickly
Old 12-14-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm just completely lame against you guys. I've never driven either SVX over 85. Well.. maybe 90 momentarily on an oops.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

130 in the SVX... felt pretty good... very stable and calm... Could have added another 10 but that was enough...
Old 12-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
IBTL IBTL IBTL!!!

Oh, wait, sorry, those are all closed course numbers
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
130 in the SVX... felt pretty good... very stable and calm... Could have added another 10 but that was enough...
I've seen 200 from the passengers seat of a 'Pro street Dodge', Do NOT try this at home!! It should only be done by trained professionals!!!!

My BEST in an A-100 Dodge van was 155 MPH., a Hemi Roadrunner, 175 MPH. 49 Dodge p/u, 165 mph, 47 Dodge p/u, 135, ALL ON A CLOSED COURSE!!! I always observe the posted limits,..... Well, MOST of the time!!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 12-15-2005 at 12:40 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: