Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen

That's true about leaving the project when you get upset. I was pissed off and just stopped - u can't work on ...you wind up messing stuff up. I was considering modifying the fender with some sort of wide body stuff, but if it works good stock then I'll take it.
I know what was i telling you!! i still remember all those days i sepnd on building the fiber kit... Many times i got upset and nearly messed things up... be cool, think objectively and i am sure you can make it...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:36 PM

Wishing you the best!

I personally know what it takes to install a kit like that. You must have plenty of time, patients, equipment, and enough courage to cut into your SVX . When its all done..., you'll appreciate all the hard work that went into it. Good Luck rmjjensen!. Sometimes you have to take that breather and walk away from the project for a moment. (just take your time)

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 08-06-2005, 08:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Thanks for the encouragement. We have a lot of tools at my work ...air tools are key - especially when working with metal. This project would be dam near impossible. I'm moving pretty fast but have stopped right now:

I didn't like the way the hinge was sitting on the door plate so I'm getting one made a little bigger. Well a lot bigger. Two plates that will be able to bolt into all six holes on the SVX doors.

See how it's right at the edge. Well, to get the door to close perfect on the inside (towards fender part) I have to push the door in and now that hinge sits about 1/8" off the door plate. Not very confident in that - it would probably work but the question is for how long.

So for now I put the stock hinges back on and a few bolts in the fender to holt it. Hopefully I'll have the new door plates the beginning of next week and be done with both sides by the end of the week.

The project definitely takes patience ....

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 08-06-2005, 08:44 AM

Man I knew this would be a HUGE project ,But your more than half way there !! Remember take a deep breath and count to ten. TRUST ME I HAVE 2 SMALL KIDS AND AND WORK FROM HOME(GOOD LOOK)It will help . Plus I hope we all here here give you support as well ! . It well be one awesome SVX
Old 08-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Awsome project man. You ahe some serious guts to go balls deep into this project. I hope you can finish it in time to come to the drag meet in August. yeah some of us will be racing but there should be a good amount of spectators also. I would love to see your car in person. Check it out, we will be racing at Atco raceway. Hope to see you there with your SVX in one peice. Good luck and great job so far!!

Tom
Old 08-06-2005, 11:45 AM

Try making a template of the original door hinge base, and form it from 3/8" or 1/2" steel whichever works out best with your kit. Then weld it to the swing arm bracket. You'll then be able to use all 6 bolt holes. Even if you get 2 at top and 2 at bottom, your doors will be more stable. I've done this for the lower bolt holes just never did the top.

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 08-06-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pwrlite
Try making a template of the original door hinge base, and form it from 3/8" or 1/2" steel whichever works out best with your kit. Then weld it to the swing arm bracket. You'll then be able to use all 6 bolt holes. Even if you get 2 at top and 2 at bottom, your doors will be more stable. I've done this for the lower bolt holes just never did the top.

One step ahead of ya. Put masking tape on the doors (so I could see the bolt holes) and traced out a large portion around it with one solid piece. Put the tape on a piece of 1/2" wood and cut the wood to size. Gave it to the metal shop and said I need this exact piece ...same shape...same thickness out of this (handed him the old piece that came with the kit) material.

And now we wait

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen
One step ahead of ya. Put masking tape on the doors (so I could see the bolt holes) and traced out a large portion around it with one solid piece. Put the tape on a piece of 1/2" wood and cut the wood to size. Gave it to the metal shop and said I need this exact piece ...same shape...same thickness out of this (handed him the old piece that came with the kit) material.

And now we wait
RMJ, i am still waiting... .......so......... euhhhhh..........mmmm.......... eh RMJ........ so.........what happened! I wanna know i wanna know???

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:29 AM

I don't work til tuesday (tomorrow)

...can't do anything until then

Old 08-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Maniac modifier

do you think you will be able to get to the meet on the 19th? or 20th?

Tom
Old 08-08-2005, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
do you think you will be able to get to the meet on the 19th? or 20th?

Tom
That's definitely doable.

...now I have a definite deadline for the project. I don't see it taking anywhere near that long though.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:00 PM

The door plates weren't ready today ...they said tomorrow. Ugh - but that means we go verticle tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!! cross your fingers

Old 08-10-2005, 02:12 PM

I pray that the doors will go vertical.
Glad to see you are doing this project.
God bless.
sid
Old 08-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Maniac modifier

well.......

Tom
Old 08-10-2005, 03:36 PM