Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-10-2005, 10:20 PM

Erratic starter energized (this thread is for only smart people) LOL

I had a starter problem that occurred occasionally. I would turn on the ignition and the starter wouldn’t turn on. I think the security system was locking out the starter solenoid circuit. My problem might occur whether the car was at operating temperature or maybe cold. Regardless, every time the starter failed to be energized, the cooling fans for the radiator cooling fans would come on when the key was turned in the ignition and stay on for a while even after the key was turned of. After the fans stopped, the starter would work! This may be an easy one for some but it is a little tough for me. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
I have the same problem. I can even take my keys out at any position that they are in. I may be driving down the road and the keys fall out. I checked with a local locksmith and he will change it out for me for $75.00. He said it is a real pita to do. He said that is where my problem is anyway. I would have to agree with the two of you too. Now that is refreshing isn't it!
I had new keys made at the dealer to fix the falling out problem, made from the key number and punched.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
FYI: I had to bypass the relay, not because it burned out, but because whenever I engaged the cruise control, the engine would stutter and die if I left it on for a few seconds!?? I wasn't really sure what the deal was, but I had to go on a 1200 mile round trip and didn't want to live without the cruise control so out it went.

Beav, do you know of any tie in between the starter circuit and cruise control? I was guessing that there might be a vaccuum motor nearby and the magnetic field was triggering the relay and engaging the starter while the engine was running, but I tried moving the relay around without any improvement. As for the 9V relay burning out too quickly, I'm not too concerned with it since it's only for a few seconds at a time and was much more reliable in my case since I had measured voltage drops of below 9 volts to the starter.

While I'd love to fix the real problem with the ignition switch, as someone else mentioned, but being an apartment dweller without a workspace and not having a spare vehicle, I'm more than willing to live with a $10 temporary solution as opposed to paying a dealer $150+ as it isn't doing any additional damage to the car.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Kuoh - the small 12v relays don't need all of 12 volts to operate reliably. I'd be concerned that a 9v relay would tend to burn out a bit prematurely. At least you had the good foresight to make it easy to change.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I recall one incident hearing my starter engaged while the engine was running. For whatever reason I reached over and hit the cruise button (power) and the starter disengaged. Only happened once. I can't recall if that was before or after I had installed the relay or before or after I had bypassed the alarm/starter relay. Currently I have no access to SVX wiring diagrams so I can't answer your question.

While the SVX has some screwy circuits they aren't as involved as some of the stuff I'm working on now. Try a car with ten or more modules, networked with six different protocols - some multiplexed and some not. Amazing how much crap people think they just can't live without. They'd probably faint at the idea of having to pee in the woods.

I've recently had my starter not work once or twice and found that whacking the gearshift into park a little farther allowed it to start. Whether or not I had fully placed it in park could be a question but I'm thinking the inhibitor (neutral start switch to us 'mericans) may be the ultimate culprit in my situation.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:24 PM

Cruise control wiring is hooked into the inhibitor and main relay, etc. haven't looked enough at it to understand how one would impact the other, but attached is the cruise wiring diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cruise Control Wiring.pdf (62.7 KB, 287 views)
Old 05-27-2005, 10:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Well that explains it! The inhibitor relay grounds through the transaxle inhibitor switch to the starter solenoid when in the park or neutral position. I guess this is to disable the cruise control in park or neutral, but the side effect is that it triggers my extra sensitive 9V relay. Everything should be fine as long as I only turn on the cruise control in one of the drive positions. I'll have to put the old noodle to work and come up with a safer circuit I guess. Thanks Lee.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
Cruise control wiring is hooked into the inhibitor and main relay, etc. haven't looked enough at it to understand how one would impact the other, but attached is the cruise wiring diagram.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That's also the reason the cruise doesn't work on my 5MT when I'm fooling the ECU into thinking I'm in neutral. (to fix the high idle issue)
Old 06-05-2005, 09:35 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
relay bypass installation

I got tied of trying to start up my SVX. So I picked up a relay, wires, quick connects, followed the information on this forum and installed the relay bypass. I haven't had a problem since. Here are some photos that can be used for installation. Thanks to the ones who thought of this relay bypass.

Once again, here are the connections;
#30 to the battery +
#86 to ground
#87 to the starter solenoid
#85 to the wire that was removed from the starter solenoid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1345.JPG (64.2 KB, 654 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1344.JPG (45.4 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1341.JPG (68.1 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1340.JPG (43.3 KB, 396 views)
Old 06-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Anyone want to submit an article for the SVXipedia?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:03 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I had no problems starting my car since I installed the relay bypass, BUT.... there seems to be a drawback. When I put the car in neutral, it starts to shake, the engine light goes on, and then it stalls. I disconnected the relay and the problem stopped. Anyone have a similar problem? Why does this happen?