How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-12-2004, 06:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Exclamation POWER light ...on the dash warning system

I am new owner of Subaru SVX. Can anybody help me in explaining the proper function of the "POWER" dash warning light... when it will sign the problems in the transmission and how can we recognise it. In the manual it is written that if the light flashes it indicates that there is some problem with the automatic transmission... but i didn't get whether it is true if the light stays on for some time or it is true only when it flashes (like on and off continuously) and I am not getting the exact meaning of wht they mean by "flashes".

I would like to have an explanation for the proper function of the light. Plz help me out from this confusion.

thanks in advance,
Pavan.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If it blinks (flashes) when you start the car you have an error code.
You can find the way to pull the error codes for the TCU in the how-to locker.

If it comes on and stays on for a short period of time when driving if you slam the accelerator to the floor then you have no problem - this is the normal function of the tranny going into "power mode"
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
If it blinks (flashes) when you start the car you have an error code.
You can find the way to pull the error codes for the TCU in the how-to locker.
...snip...
to amplify what Matt said, the blinks for trouble are seen immediately after the engine is started. The blinks are 16 in number, approximately 1/10 second in duration, spaced about 1/2 second apart, then the light should go off. If this condition is encountered, that tells you that there has been an error code stored in the ECU memory - implying a possible failure of a transmission electronic component.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:39 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for all ur help.... and i figured it out and it is not blinking but dissappears as soon as I start the engine....now i am not afraid....

thanks
Pavan.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:58 PM

Exclamation

Hi,

here is another doubt that i am getting now.... actually when I bought the car from the previous owner, he told me that the rotors are in bad shape and needs some resurfacing.... I have also had a class B inspection on the car at a subaru dealer and he also suggested to have a resurface done on the rotors. wht do u guys think of it....yeah i know its hard to tell without havin a look at it....but here is wht i'm hearing...while i am applygin the brakes its making creecking sounds at a considerable high picth ... wht u guys suggest shall i go with resurfacin or along with it shall i change the pads too.... i appreciate if u can tell me how much it will cost for me to have it done...

thanks in advance,
Pavan.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The noise while braking can be caused by missing brake shims or just old worn out brake pads.

Do they make noise while crawling at a slow speed without any brake pressure?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:01 PM

Earthworm,
no....i hope they r not makin those sounds while goin at slow speeds.....but there is a little little noise...from front wheels while goin at slow speeds but not tht much while they make while braking...

suggest anything wht i have to do...if i want to make my car smooth without noise....(i mean smooth like a new one )....anyway how much acceptable noise do we expect at low speeds..

Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 08-13-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If I were you I'd take a look at the brake pads and confirm all the shims are there. While you're at it also lubricate the guide pin (remove any rust if necessary).

Here's a link to confirm the parts:

Reference Link
Old 08-13-2004, 07:49 PM

Thanks for ur guidance, but I am not so familiar with those parts and i want to show them to my mechanic and i will let u know wht he suggests me...

Pavan.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:20 PM

Lightbulb

Hi,

hmm atlast here is the list wht my mechanic told me to get...for replacement

1) Front Driver side rotor - 33$
2) Rear Passenger side rotor - 94$
3) Passenger rear side brake calliper - 35$
4) Brake pads for all the four - 50$

and he is goin to do the replacement on monday....lemme know if u want me to have checked by my mechanic apart from these for eliminating/reducin any more noises in my car....

thanks,
Pavan.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:42 PM

Hi guys,

here is one more issue tht i'm very concerned... is it good to have a transmission cooler installed for increasing the life of the transmission. Since I am a new owner of SVX and I heard a lot tht many SVXes are gettin transmission problems after certain miles on it (like 70k and above). Approximately how many SVXes in America are having transmission coolers and how much it would cost.

can anyone tell me when a transmission is more likely to die... like if u beat on it more often like tht... one more thing tht i am not getting is if we use manual mode than automatic does it has anything to do with the life of the transmission.

thanks,
Pavan.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:31 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You'll probably get a number of differing opinions on tranny coolers and how to drive.

I suggest either bypassing the stock cooler and going only aftermarket cooler or buy a new radiator that does not have the clogging problems and run the stock cooler in series with an aftermarket cooler The coolers are around $50. Also invest in a filter kit - either the TSB filter or a filter kit from summitracing.com

I'd also change the tranny fluid out asap by doing a few drain and fills with your next oil changes. I'm against powerflush services for the tranny mainly because I hear more bad things than good.

If it is the original tranny in yours (and I see it's a low mileage 92 so I'd guess it is) then I hate to tell you but eventually it is going to go. You can prolong the life with fluid changes and a cooler but the stock friction material on the 92's was not up to the task. Be happy, drive the car like you stole it and start saving for the inevitable. If you accept now that it is going to happen and plan on it then the bill won't hit you as hard when it finally happens.

I managed to get 163k out of the original tranny by adding 2 coolers, bypassing the stock cooler, and beating the snot outta the car on a daily basis. YMMV.

If you start to feel any flare up or slippage let us know - there are some things you can do by adjusting the brake band that can prolong the life of a tranny.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:42 AM

Thanks for ur ideas and suggestions. I have gone thru tht site for coolers and there are many models in it..... and I have no idea on which to use and the thread on transmission is more confusing me.... on howto drive the car.

Is it good to install an aftermarket transmission filter too? And if I install an aftermarket transmission cooler and a transmission filter, approximately how much gain I can get on the transmission lifetime. Are there any precautions to be followed while transmission is being flushed and how can we come to know, at what point should we have the transmission flushed?... till now I am not getting any signes of problems in transmission, but I want to have some preliminary cautions on it. Can you give me a detailed procedure on how to install an aftermarket tran cooler and if possible about tran filter too.

thanks a lot,
Pavan.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:20 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

it confused the hell outta me too. I just drive in 3 and forget about it.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 08-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Meow!

There's no way to really gauge how much longer the tranny will last. No one really knows.