Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-20-2004, 08:44 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
I smell a leak!

My car failed inspection a few days ago because the inspector said, "I hear an exaust leak, probably very small. I didn't look to confirm, but I have to fail you.." So I had a fleeting thought of telling him, "No, no You don't understand this is a very special car...It's meant to sound that way, yea...thats it..." However, he didn't look the type to take a joke, so I limped home, my car wearing the Scarlet Letter "R". So here is my question... How does one find a small leak in an exhaust without enduring at least second degree burns in the process? I know this is probably a little "Automobile 101" but I could use some more good advice from the group. Thanks

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 07-20-2004, 09:46 PM
UniqueAngle

That sounds kinda odd. An inspection station that doesn't tell you where the problem is. Very, very strange. I'm next state north of you, by the way.

Best way to start looking for an exhaust leak is by listening (with the stereo & a/c off). Just like trying to pinpoint any noise, drive with one window down at a time (this will help identify where the noise is loudest ... front vs rear, left vs right). Exhaust noises get louder when excellerating (even if it's only a little). Also, exhaust problems are easier to find while on a lift, Midas/Meineke probably still do free inspections (remember, just because they look at it and give you an estimate, doesn't mean you have to have it fixed there).

If you wait while someplace looks at your car, instead of dropping it off, they should be more then willing to show you exactly what/where the problem is while it's still on the lift.

If you need more help beyond that, let me know. I'm not that far away.
~Brenda
Old 07-21-2004, 07:14 AM

We currently have no statewide vehicle safety or emissions inspections here in Georgia, but an annual tire-kick inspection was once required, and if one's car failed at a particular station, the evaluation could be appealed at another. Is this possible where you live?

dcb
Old 07-21-2004, 07:39 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
We currently have no statewide vehicle safety or emissions inspections here in Georgia, but an annual tire-kick inspection was once required, and if one's car failed at a particular station, the evaluation could be appealed at another. Is this possible where you live?

dcb

No. In MA if one station fails you, the same station HAS to do the re-inspection after repairs. I think if you fail the second time around though you can choose another station.

Dave
Old 07-21-2004, 08:18 AM

What happens if you go to another garage for the repairs and they determine that you don't need 'em? (This happened to me, years ago.) Say, a non-specific exhaust leak...

dcb
Old 07-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I found my exhaust leak by having the car off the ground, plug the tailpipes with a couple old socks/rags and have one person listen underneath while I rev the engine between 1000 and 3000rpm.

The leak is most noticable when rpms are rapidly dropping.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:07 AM
The name's...

Thanks for the replies. The leak is definately in the area near the catalytic converters. And I think I know where. When I bought the car the transmission lines under the left bank of the engine had been leaking for God knows how long, spraying ATF everywhere including right down onto the O2 sensor. That would explain my intermittent check engine light and the hole... It rotted the pipe and fouled the sensor. Make sense? Now the question is can I just remove that secton of the exaust to work on it or is welded in place?

That's right...
Old 07-21-2004, 10:37 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
What happens if you go to another garage for the repairs and they determine that you don't need 'em? (This happened to me, years ago.) Say, a non-specific exhaust leak...

dcb

It doesn't matter. The garage that failed you is the only one that can pass you. MA has adopted a very tough inspection system. Too many people were failing at one station, then going to another "less stringent" inspection station who would over-look their problems and give them a sticker. So cars weren't getting the work they needed, safety issues weren't being resolved, and pollution wasn't being reduced.

There is an exception to this "same garage" rule though. I THINK if the same garage fails you more than twice after you have had repairs done, you can go to another garage. I had a Loyale wagon that kept failing inspection, and I seem to remember after the second or third rejection I was told I could go elsewhere.

Dave
Old 07-21-2004, 10:44 AM
UniqueAngle

Sounds like a mess that you definately have to get fixed. The car will run better when it's done.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:48 AM
The name's...

Indeed Unique. I'll get the car up on stands tonight...Hmm fumes

That's right...
Old 07-21-2004, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
MA has adopted a very tough inspection system.
Georgia's was always pretty much of a joke.

dcb
Old 07-21-2004, 05:44 PM
The name's...

I've got the car up on stands right now and the leak is in the pipe right after the support bracket behind the transmission pan. Theres only one problem. The whole area is covered by aluminum heat shield which appears to be rivited in place. I'm debating cutting it out. Thoughts please...Thanks

That's right...
Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What's the debate? You have to fix it right?
Old 07-22-2004, 10:12 AM
The name's...

Well, I guess I'm just wonering how important the heat shield is. Personally I don't see a problem with cutting it, bending it out of the way, fixing the leak and then bending it back. Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with the situation...

That's right...
Old 07-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Meow!

Some people have removed them all. I removed the ones from my front cats (1 was gone already). Of all things, the previous owner welded a BOLT to the heat shield to prevent it from rattling.