Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 04-27-2020, 01:19 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Modded headlights wiring

Looking for wiring suggestions.
My headlights are modded with halos and I originally wired them to come on with the projectors. I have to get in there to change out ballasts and am considering re-wiring them as DRLs.
I can test various wires to find a hot one with ignition key turned on(engine not necessarily running)- anyone already familiar with the wiring under the hood have a specific wire suggestion? I'd like it to be clean-looking.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:11 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Modded headlights wiring

Any luck? I've been wanting to do the same.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 07-11-2020, 12:23 PM

Registered SVX

Yes and no. I tested wires under the fuse box in engine bay, found one that was powered at ignition, then decided I didn't want to splice into it. I really wanted a factory look to where I'd have a switch by the wiper switch under the dash that'd turn on both tail lights and halos and have its own fuse.

Any possibility I could find was going to be a ton of work and wasn't going to make my car faster and the bling value of the having the halos as DRLs that way wasn't worth the trouble. So, I took the easy way out and wired them to the parking lights. Wires went through the rubber fitting behind the battery and did the splicing behind the corner light (easy enough to pull.) Only had to wire to that one, it provided plenty of power to the two Morimoto ballasts.

Now, for DRLs, my tail lights and front corners are on along with my halos. I like that the SVX has the dimmer over ride button at the tip of the light switch. That helps. I think clear corners would be even nicer.

I had the halos put in back in about 2012 before I noticed they really exploded in popularity. Were I to do something like that today, with there being so many halos, I think I'd go with something different. Still, it looks good enough and cost enough that I wanted to be able to see them. They fit the look of the SVX to me.

I keep forgetting that you are in Casper; one of the few other SVXs in Wyoming probably. It's a nice car to drive on our long open roads here! And the crosswinds are almost unnoticeable compared to driving my pickup.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:02 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

FWIW here in Canada the DRLs are simply the fog lights. They are always on until you turn on the headlights. No tail or running lights involved.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

That's how my halos operate - I just re-routed the fog light wires to the CCFL transformers so whenever the car is running with the parking brake off the halos light up. They extinguish when the low beams are on but I can bring them back with the fog light button.

I don't know exactly what the system is that makes the DRL activate. If you can find a Canadian scrap yard car you might be able to salvage the parts behind it and retrofit into your car.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl