Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2002, 08:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
Unhappy transmission question

well, i don't know what's going on with my car. first off, when it's cold, keeping the throttle pedal constant, it seems to move slow at first and lunge forward in the same gear...like some sort of delay between when i give it gas and when the engine feels like giving it to me.
second off, when i hit the gas when going around 10mph, and it gets up around 35 or so, i start letting off of the gas and the transmission seems to rev high and then kick hard into 2nd gear, sometimes takes a while for second to kick in. it's been doing this for weeks now, wondering how long it takes for the transmission to give. my extended warranty through Guardian is done in 1,500 miles....it covers the transmission but $500 deductable.....any suggestions? I'm not too mechanically inclined either, and a college student without a lot of money... i can afford the $500 i guess but certainly not $3000 if it goes out in a few months....

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 08-28-2002, 10:24 PM

I can't help you, but I hope it's not your transmission because mine does that reving crap also, before slamming into 2nd. Usually around 20 for me and only every so often.

Dave
Old 08-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Green1995SVX

The first symptom isnt your transmission. Mine does that too, and i've replaced the transmission a couple times and it has no effect on that problem.

As far as the revving between gears, I would say thats probably a tranny issue. How many miles are on the car, and do you know how often the tranny has been serviced?

-Mike
Old 08-29-2002, 12:41 AM
I_Alcyone_I

that revving between gears could be one of the duty cylenoids, Unplug the resister behind the battery and see if it does it anymore, if it does its probobly your tranny, if it doesn't its probobly not. Leaving it unplugged is up for debate between a lot of people here, I personally like it unplugged and I don't get hard shifting because I don't drive the car very hard, but if you end up taking it back under warranty make sure to plug it back in before you get there.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
well, the car has 62,000 miles on it, i bought it about 4 months ago, and as far as i know, it hasn't had any tranny work done on the car, or servicing for that matter.

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 08-30-2002, 03:09 PM

How do you remove the resistor? I know where it is but the damn thing won't budge. I searched on this and looked in the how-to locker and nothing.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:32 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
How do you remove the resistor? I know where it is but the damn thing won't budge. I searched on this and looked in the how-to locker and nothing.

Undo the top bolt with a ring spanner, you can then twist the resistor enough for easy access to the bottom bolt. With the resistor free, it is easy to see how to disconnect it.

Andy
Old 08-30-2002, 05:02 PM
I_Alcyone_I

I used may Leartherman to squeeze and pull it out, im sure any needle nose pliers should work. or loosening the bolt should work too like mentioned above.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthraXFan
well, the car has 62,000 miles on it, i bought it about 4 months ago, and as far as i know, it hasn't had any tranny work done on the car, or servicing for that matter.
Anthrax,
Undoing the resistor did seem to solve the shifting issue so I would strongly consider this.

Dave
Old 08-30-2002, 11:55 PM
Boone

Then again, why don't you just service the $#@&%*&!!! tranny?
Old 08-31-2002, 01:03 AM
I_Alcyone_I

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Then again, why don't you just service the $#@&%*&!!! tranny?
I haven't gotten it serviced because i don't have the money. If you'd like to send me some to get it fixed I'd be willing to plug it back in...........
Old 08-31-2002, 01:27 AM
Registered Abuser

That hesitation sounds like your brake band needs to be tightened. If you are lucky, that is all it would take.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 09-01-2002, 01:00 AM

Plugged it back in. That thud I hear every time it shifts can't be good. It wasn't a total waste of time, though. At least I know my trans isn't crapping out.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:58 AM
TonyShaleUK

Read a lot about this - I too have a 'severe' change sometimes. When the resistor is unplugged, does there need to be a link made between the two connectors or just unplugged? I would like to give this a try.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2002, 02:23 AM

Registered SVX
Tranny Resistor

DO NOT put in a link to replace the resistor.

Having put in a lot of time into a thread which worked out how the resistor functions and yet still reading inacurate advice on the subject there is little else to say.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!