Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-18-2007, 02:30 PM

Chatter at start and ball joints

Hi, I have a 95 SVX. I bought it new and it now has 150K miles on it. I want to keep it forever, but I'm running up against some possibly expensive repairs. I have 2 questions:

1) There is a chatter noise in the front (center?) that lasts a couple of seconds when I accelerate from a stop. The noise does not occur when going over rough road, so I don't think it is caused by something loose. If I accelerate very slowly I don't hear the noise, and the volumn of the chatter increases with the rate of acceleration. Any ideas on what might be causing this and how expensive the repair would be?

2) This is the BEST car I've ever owned. However, I'm being told that the lower ball joints need to be replaced, front bearings need to be replaced (again) as well as new tires and regular maintenance. What do these typical replacements run if a shop does the work? Are these things a novice, with limited tools, can replace? I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the repairs done, or buy a new car. I have already replaced the radiator, but that is the only major repair done in the past several years.

Your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated.

Last edited by jls; 06-18-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
1. It could be your front diff going out(likely) or it could be a result of the bad front wheel bearings.

2. The ball joints are very easy to replace to the experienced mechanic and could be done with a jack and jackstands and basic hand tools.

I'll be coming to Florida in a week or 2 and can probably do the repairs for you cheaper than a shop and could bring the parts with me or you could order them and have them there. If you need a tranny/front diff, I could also bring you that too to either have installed at a shop or I can do it if you can get me acess to a shop with a lift. PM me with any questions if your interested. Jason
Old 06-18-2007, 10:59 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
The chatter is your front differential, replace it now before it leaves you on the side of the road one day.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 AM

With "regular maintenance," tires, wheel bearings, ball joints... you're about to drop at least a grand into your car. If the noise you described is indeed the front differential, then way more than that. My thinking is, if you're going to spend big on an old car, you need to keep it long enough to get your money's worth, or stop driving it altogether and hope the value appreciates down the road. If you can't envision yourself enjoying (and maintaining) your SVX two or three years from now, it's probably time for another ride.

To flip that nickel, with the work it needs, it's all but worthless (except maybe in trade, or as parts), which is a shame.

dcb
Old 06-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the good input. I don't think it is the wheel bearings going out as they went out before, and the sound was very different than the chattering I hear now.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to give up my favorite car for something less.