SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz
2nd Gear Sort-Of

Oh I just hate posting this.
About 1 week ago, it was a little cooler in the morning, and I went to drive to the bank and the SVX would not shift out of 1st. This was a little odd I thought,
I did not drive it hard or get to upset. I just kind of parked it, sat for a minute and restarted it. Viola, it shifted 2nd, 3rd, like normal.

So this weekend, I'm driving up to an on-ramp, accelerating somewhat hard, and 2nd feels.. well like it's slipping a little. I don't drive it until yesterday, after I adjust my TPS, check my AFT and Diff fluid, which all look good, and give it a good diagnostic drive. It seems that 1st is rock solid, 3rd is the same, and drive is good, although it's hard to get a good grasp on D because it's so low. But will all that tourqe differental I imagine if D was in bad shape it would slip pretty easily.

1st to 2nd is normal, and then if I drive it soft it will shift very quickly out of 2nd with out much effort or RPMs. But the shift feels lazy to 3rd.

If I leave it in 2nd and drive it hard, it will wind up higher then normal and kind of grip slowly. Like I'm riding the clutch out in a stick.

I gave it another short drive later in the day and the same behavior.

So, is my clutch going? I can only hope a break band adjustment will fix it, but it's pouring and I won't have time to try that until the weekend.

I just bought a new house and it would be a while before I can save enough to fix it, but fix it I will.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
do the brake band adjustment before you drive it anymore.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggbzz
Oh I just hate posting this.
About 1 week ago, it was a little cooler in the morning, and I went to drive to the bank and the SVX would not shift out of 1st. This was a little odd I thought,
I did not drive it hard or get to upset. I just kind of parked it, sat for a minute and restarted it. Viola, it shifted 2nd, 3rd, like normal.

So this weekend, I'm driving up to an on-ramp, accelerating somewhat hard, and 2nd feels.. well like it's slipping a little. I don't drive it until yesterday, after I adjust my TPS, check my AFT and Diff fluid, which all look good, and give it a good diagnostic drive. It seems that 1st is rock solid, 3rd is the same, and drive is good, although it's hard to get a good grasp on D because it's so low. But will all that tourqe differental I imagine if D was in bad shape it would slip pretty easily.

1st to 2nd is normal, and then if I drive it soft it will shift very quickly out of 2nd with out much effort or RPMs. But the shift feels lazy to 3rd.

If I leave it in 2nd and drive it hard, it will wind up higher then normal and kind of grip slowly. Like I'm riding the clutch out in a stick.

I gave it another short drive later in the day and the same behavior.

So, is my clutch going? I can only hope a break band adjustment will fix it, but it's pouring and I won't have time to try that until the weekend.

I just bought a new house and it would be a while before I can save enough to fix it, but fix it I will.
Yes do as Matt says. Till you do get it adjusted, don't use 2nd or 4th. to save the band. Select 1st to start, then move the lever to 3rd gear, miss 2nd gear and 4th gear completely. Just drive in 3rd, when you stop at a light, select 1st to go again, don't let it use 2nd or 4th.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Well hey, this is encouraging.
I managed to get the starter out tonight, but I was pretty wasted and did
not have the energy to break the locking bolt. I guess it's usually pretty tight?

I'll try on saturday when I have more light and better wits.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
On 2 of my svx's the lock nut broke free easily. When we did it on Chris's (RSVX) svx we had a hell of a time, had to fabricate an extension to put on the wrench to get enough leverage to break it free.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 09-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
On 2 of my svx's the lock nut broke free easily. When we did it on Chris's (RSVX) svx we had a hell of a time, had to fabricate an extension to put on the wrench to get enough leverage to break it free.
But it was so fun! We soaked it with break free too, did we not?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
yes - PB Blaster was used liberally
Old 09-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

I think I fixed it! *patt on the back*

Getting that starter back on was a PITA (It was getting dark, and I was already frustrated because Penn State lost)

But I took a 20 minute test drive and it's much firmer. I can basically floor it in 2nd and no slippage. Also a hard downshift from 3rd to 2nd is firm and fast. Drive seems good also. 2nd to 3rd is also better then it's been.

There is one odd thing, if I let off the gas in 2nd or 3rd it the rpm drops a hair and then gains about 200.. Like the TC is unlocking. It's hardly noticeable. A little weird. Am I nitpicking?
Old 09-23-2006, 06:18 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I had a similar symptom that was fixed by a new resistor. I bought a few so if this is your problem it's yours. On a scale of one to ten, how hard was the adjustment? Mainly figuring out how much to turn it.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

I just drove it for a good hour, everything seems ok.

The adjustment wasn't to hard. I disconnected the wire harnesses that went over the starter and into two box plugs near the firewall first. Just push the little clip down with a screw driver and wiggle them free.
I made a feble attempt to break the lock nut then. Gave up and dove into getting the starter off. The started came off with sockets. Stoped on tuesday.

I used a craftsman combo box/open end 17mm wrench to break the nut.
It took me putting most of my weight on it (I'm kinda weak though) and a nice cut on my palm, this morning.

The adjustment screw was slightly firm to turn. I tightened it till I felt a slight increase in resistance maybe 4 turns? and then took it back about 1 3/4 turns. I may have gotten lucky, on the first try.

Really, if the locking nut is at the right angle, you can certainly do it without removing the starter (which took the most time) I'm sure I could do it again much more easily, and without getting that starter off.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I've never removed the starter to do it, but it is probably easier to get in there with the starter off. The wiring harness plugs are definitely in the way.

If you notice any kind of engine braking/slowdown when downshifting you may have gone a little too tight on the adjustment. From what I have read here going too tight will accelerate wear on the brake band.