Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-12-2006, 11:02 AM

Quick question about the MAF

I got a new maf from a member here and it is completely open, no screen in it like the one I'm pulling out. Is this screen neccessary to stop some things the air filter doesn't, or is it something that can be done without?

PS. Why is this power connector so hard to get off? Is there a trick or does the possibility that it hasn't been removed in 144,000 miles play a part?

Nevermind, pried it off and replaced the screen anyway.

Last edited by Ahner; 09-12-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:50 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
MAF's have to have that screen. It screens out big stuff from hitting the sensor.

The connector usually has a little corrosion it on from age - that's why it's such a PITA to get off.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Old Guy

Your post reminds me of the fellow who ordered a water pump from Sears & Roebuck (a long time ago when a pump was manual, with a handle). It came in a wooden box, packed in straw. He assembled the pump but couldn't find the handle. Being more than a little PO'ed he sat down and wrote a letter of complaint to Sears & Roebuck. Nearing completion of the letter he noticed his children playing with something they had found in the bottom of the box in which the pump was shipped - the handle. Not wanting to waste choice words, he put a post script on his letter that said, "After writing this letter I find the G-- D--- handle in the bottom of the box." He mailed the letter. I see that you too "found the handle" so to speak. Best wishes.
Preston
Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
the maf is directly downstream of an air filter that screens out particles down to the micron level.

the screen is a waste of material. just don't throw any rocks or tools into your airbox and you'll be fine without the screen.

the connector will pop right off if you slide back the little cover. The little cover sometimes makes it hard to push down far enough on the quick release tab for it to clear the teet.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
screen

In school they told us the screen was to help straiten out the air for faster a faster flow. I dont know how much of a difference it will make but thats what they told us.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I read that here before also, but I ran for years without the screen and never had any hiccups or lost any noticeable amount of power or mileage. the engineers must have put it there for a reason, but I really saw no loss from taking it out.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 09-12-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:24 AM

Cya

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
the engineers must have put it there for a reason, but I really saw no loss from taking it out.
Yes its called CYA.

I have run for years without a screen. The MAF worked great without it. It only slows down the flow. They may have been thinking that it evens the flow out by creating turbulence , but I have not seen any differences. It is most likely a CYA measure in case a mechanic leaves a bolt in the airbox (had that happen).