SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-15-2004, 05:50 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Doh... now the dust shield...

Okay... I began reassembling my front hub again last night after I'd finally managed to get the old bearing out and the new one installed. Anyway... got as far as installing the hub and pushing the axle back through the housing and.... DOH!!! There's the dust shield I took off to make it easier to get my tools in there.

Now, I'm usually one who says that if it's supposed to be on there, reinstall it. What's the opinion of the "jury". Should I press my hub back out again so I can reinstall the dust shield, or should I just forego it? What would be the impact of leaving it off?

Input appreciated!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I don't remember that ever coming up. A quick search came up with instructions on removing the dust shield because it was rubbing on the rotor on sharp turns.

I'm going to assume that without the shield you're going to see a lot of brake dust collecting on your suspension components. I'm not sure if the dust can get into anything to cause damage.

Now that I think of it I believe I have a rotor rubbing the dust shield on one corner. I'll have to take a look at that.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:53 PM

Registered SVX
I dunno if that's a positive or a negative there old chum

I've done some searching, and there are other cars out there (Subarus) where many advise that if you're not rallying your sooby then you can take the heat shield off with almost zero impact. Myself I'm still of two minds; I mean I realize the cooling would be better, but you're right that dust might get up into the suspension components. On the flip side, on inspection it doesn't look like the dust shield had any accumulation of dust, or nicks from debris.

<sigh> Well, unless I can find a good way to get it back on without removing the hub, I think I'm gonna leave it off... just too much work and I don't want to run the risk of the bearing race coming out and picking up dirt before I put it all back together.

Anyone else any input before I call this one?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Leave the dust shield off. Now you can actually look forward to an early bearing failure as an excuse to put it back on. With a secret bearing death-wish, the bearing will now last until 2015.

Ron (Will duct tape help?)

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:50 AM

Lots of cars that i have worked on in michigan have had there dust shield rusted off. I rember sport compact car with project WRX had to take theres off in the front for some reason, and there rotors complety filled up with rocks and dirt, but then again they probely were doing rally stuff.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:56 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Leave the dust shield off. Now you can actually look forward to an early bearing failure as an excuse to put it back on. With a secret bearing death-wish, the bearing will now last until 2015.

Ron (Will duct tape help?)
I don't think the dust shield has anything to do with the bearing... it doesn't actually cover the bearing in any effective manner... in fact it literally goes around it. The only thing I concern myself with is, as mentioned, stones in the rotors. However, given that the dust shield only protects the back side of the rotors anyway (and even then the actual protection area covered by it is pretty small), I'm not sure it's requried.

Anyone any method of getting it on under the tone wheel? That seems to be the sticking point. At the moment the best I can come up with is to use my cutoff tool to cut the center out of the dust shield... basically getting rid of the "lip" that won't fit behind the tone wheel.

Anyone?

And no, duct tape won't help <grin>
Old 07-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Me thinks you misunderstood Gavin

He was saying above that you can look forward to your bearing going bad again so you have a reason to pull the hub apart, hence you would have a reason to put the dust cover back on.

He's also saying that with a secret bearing death wish that with your luck the bearing will last forever and you'll never get a chance to put the dust sheild back on.

You Europeans are so funny

Talk at you later mi amigo.

~Ray

PS. I leave tomorrow morning to pick up the new SVX...what are you doing next weekend....maybe i'll drive it over there for you to check out
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.