Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-17-2019, 12:17 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Trunk Fuel Resistor

While thinking about the sad state of my SVX and hoping for warmer weather, the thought of the fuel transfer/jet pump causing this issue also crossed my mind. The fuel level like mentioned before has been/is low and it makes me wonder.

When the garage warms up I want to remove the fuel tank access cover and take a peek at the pump(s).
Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM

Registered SVX

I got a chance to work on the car today. I removed the cover in the trunk to access the top of the fuel tank. I disconnected the hoses (a real PIA) and unscrewed the fuel cap.

Peaking inside I was happy to see a clean looking tank. The fuel level was very low and the pump was not fully submerged but the filter was still in gasoline. It is a very tight fit to see anything. I then put everything back into place and while still in the rear of the car I attempted to start the engine. I tried to listen for anything from the fuel pump but nothing was heard. For those keeping track, this was attempted with the fuel module and resistor connected.

I am looking at replacement fuel pumps but nothing OEM is available. The highest rated alternative is from Walbro but it appears to require modification to fit. Here is the unit I am currently contemplating - LINK.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:43 PM

I've replaced the fuel pump on my SVX (because I'd not correctly diagnosed a bad MAF plug...). It was a major pain, was very annoyed when I found it was unnecessary in the end... I got some generic pump from a local auto parts store, it came with some parts to wire it into the existing wiring (maybe to reuse the original pumps connector or something like that). I would not say it required any other modifications to install.

I hope I never have to change the fuel pump ever again.

Best of luck!
Ian.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:41 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
I've replaced the fuel pump on my SVX (because I'd not correctly diagnosed a bad MAF plug...). It was a major pain, was very annoyed when I found it was unnecessary in the end... I got some generic pump from a local auto parts store, it came with some parts to wire it into the existing wiring (maybe to reuse the original pumps connector or something like that). I would not say it required any other modifications to install.

I hope I never have to change the fuel pump ever again.

Best of luck!
Ian.
Ugh. Sounds like a real pain. Has the generic pump been working well for you?
Old 02-23-2019, 11:25 AM

I've had no problems from the generic pump, although I've sold that car now, the current owner has reported any problems either. I probably ran with the generic fuel pump for at least a year, if not two, as my daily driver (10k to 15k miles per year).
Old 03-04-2019, 11:03 AM

Not sure if it's still relevant to this thread or now, but there is a fuel pump resistor for sale here:
https://www.jauce.com/auction/n329999477
Old 03-04-2019, 06:18 PM

Registered SVX

I appreciate the heads-up on the unit available for sale - it is a kind gesture.

I know this thread has become long and possibly hard to follow but I am currently looking to replace the fuel pump as part of my next task.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

If you haven't pulled it to bits yet, you could try powering the pump to see if it works. There is a connector under the rear seat that you could connect a 12V battery up to see if it does.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:16 PM

This is the fuel pump that I using to replace my stock pump:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...992/subaru/svx

I thought this was a good diagnostic/guess/investigation/replace-things-and-hope-it-helps step. But after doing it once, I wouldn't do it again unless I was sure that fuel pump really needed replacing.

Good luck!
Ian.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:17 PM

Registered SVX

Well it's not the fuel pump.

I tested the original unit outside the car and it ran fine. This was because I had already purchased the Walbro replacement which is now installed in the car. There is around 5 volts running to the pump so I know there is power being sent.

I am running out of ideas.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:07 PM

Registered SVX

Another update. I printed off page 45 of the Fuel Injection System manual and checked both the main (B52) and fuel pump (B51) relays using my Power Probe. The fuel pump relay checked out as expected but the main relay was missing voltage on pin #4. According to the manual pins 2, 4 and 5 should all read at least 10v with the ignition set to On.

Does anyone know about pin #4? From what I just saw on the schematics it goes to the EGR solenoid? Attached is the exact page from the fuel injection system guide - Sections 1 & 2 and the highlighted path of what I can tell to be pin #4 from the main relay.
Attached Images
File Type: gif highlighted.gif (146.7 KB, 321 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Main Relay Check.pdf (139.4 KB, 334 views)

Last edited by theflystyle; 04-20-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

This is a post by Trophy956 on the main relay.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...33&postcount=7

Old 04-21-2019, 05:58 AM

Registered SVX

The relay itself seems ok. The lack of voltage is on the female portion attached to the car wiring.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:11 PM

Registered SVX

Another update.

I ran the car on diagnostic mode (pin 1) and the car went through its testing motions. Fans on/off and I could even hear the fuel relay under the dash clicking. I then heard the fuel pump in the trunk starting to cycle on and off as well. I then tried the read mode (pin 2) and the check engine light did a continuous blink - according to the manual this means there were no trouble faults found. I then disconnected the diagnostic pins and tried to start the car. It started right up. I let it run for a few minutes and then began touching some connectors to see if the car would respond. The relays under the dash seemed fine after moving them around. I then jiggled the fuel pump connector above the fuel tank. The car sputtered and then died. I was then unable to get the car to restart.

I checked the continuity between the pins on the fuel pump connector and the plug beneath the rear passenger seat. All of them checked out with good continuity.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

So much of what you say really points to the main relay, in your diagram, P4 feeds to where your red track goes to the EGR, the black dot, just before it, is a connection to the other 3 units also.
The relay has two sets of contacts, one feeds that pin 4, the other one feeds power to the injectors. For pin 4 to have no power, either, there is no power to the contact or the contact is faulty.

This bit,
.I then jiggled the fuel pump connector above the fuel tank. The car sputtered and then died. I was then unable to get the car to restart.

You have just been right through this area with fitting the new pump, you would have noticed if there was a bad connection, so did this stop the pump or did the relay contact turn off power to the injectors?

I would try replacing that relay, see if it is the problem.