Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM

STi Brembos: Completed

I've seen a lot of posts where people have either inquired about or attempted to fit STi Brembos without adapters of any kind but the consensus has always been that while the calipers bolt up to the knuckle, there is not a suitable rotor to make it work. As it turns out, this is no longer the case.

I won't bore anyone with the story of how I got here, but it involved a lot of research. The solution I landed on is to use Hyundai Veloster N Sport Package rotors. They meet almost all of the criteria to fit better than any other rotor I tried or spec'd out, measuring 345mm in diameter by 30mm thick. It's still not a perfect solution, but I'm willing to tolerate 2~3mm of pad material hanging over the top lip of the rotor. The parts list is below.

o PowerStop remanned Brembo 4 piston (STi) calipers:
 Front Left: L3698
 Front Right: L3699
 Rotor: Brembo 09.D626.11
 Pads Brembo 54039N (Front)

When I did a dry fit of the rotors and calipers, I noticed that the rotor was not centered in the caliper body. There are two ways that you could address this: Put a washer between the caliper and knuckle to stand it off about 2mm, or you could make a shim to fit inside the rotor hat and push the rotor outward by the same amount in lieu of the washer trick. A final fitment note, I would not recommend running a wheel smaller than 18x8. These rotors are massive. They barely fit behind my wheels, as you can see in the photos.

As for the rears, I forget his name, but there is an Aussie on here that mentioned that you can use GD STi back plates to fit the 04-07 STi calipers and rotors. This is true. What makes this a bit tricky to work out is the fact that SOA lists multiple backplates for the STi. Consulting with my local dealer, I was able to figure out which ones were the right ones. As a bonus, the STi and SVX use the same parking brake hardware, so you can reuse all of that hardware if you want. Rear parts list below.

 backing plates
• 26704FE000 and 26704FE010
 Calipers: 26292FE002 and 26292FE012
• Rotors: Brembo 09.7813.21
• Pads: Brembo 56048N

I opted for used rear calipers that I sandblasted clean of paint and resealed to give them a matching raw look to the PowerStop remanned calipers I used in the front. They're not easily visible behind the wheels I run, so I don't care if they're painted pretty colors.

When these are paired up with the Apex stainless steel brake lines, the result is, in my view, excellent. I didn't notice a big difference in pedal effort, but I did notice an increase in response.

Since the car that I did this work on was hit by a distracted driver, I'll likely end up swapping all of this to the white car I purchased, so if anyone would like a detailed write up, I'll probably do one then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240322_133413.jpg (754.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20240322_133419.jpg (662.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Brumb.jpg (103.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Clearance, clarence.jpg (51.1 KB, 4 views)
Old Today, 02:47 AM

Re: STi Brembos: Completed

Awesome! Great job. Thanks for the write up.

Would a slightly larger diameter rotor help solver the brake pad over hang?
If so, what diameter would be best?

I wonder if we could get them custom made, or if there is another rotor would could be turned down to fit.

It is great that there is a bigger brake option for the SVX that works with 18" wheels. I remember a company selling a big brake kit for the SVX but it required 19" wheels, which in my eyes seems hard to make work with the SVX.

Also, do you have any pictures of your whole car? I really like that paint color.

Also, very sorry to hear you car got hit.
Old Today, 03:47 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: STi Brembos: Completed

Thank you for sharing the write up! This is excellent news as the topic of BBK has been discussed with some frequency but not often acted on. I have tribeca rotors up front and some WRX calipers, but not quite as high performance as your setup.