Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-29-2001, 02:43 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Shimmy shake....tranny related??

I have read in some posts on yahoo and can't remember for sure...but I though in here also about a shaking a certain speeds.

My SVX did the same thing...between 52-56 mph the car woudl have a shake to it, it felt like it was in the rear, but no 100% sure.

Anyways, after today driving my SVX with the 10 min old transmission it it...I hit the interstate to head home quick to pick up my face plate for my stereo. Well getting it up to speed....absolutely no shudder or shake to be felt. I drove it for approx another 15-20 min before I took it back to figure out why my AC doesn't work anymore....but no shakes once so ever.

Nothing was done to the car, wheel balance, hub replacement, brakes, nothing. So I guess I have to assume the transmission was doing something funny.

Anyone have a better explanation, as I remember in the posts before no one had seen a solution for this occurance.

Oh well....works now...I guess I will just knock on wood!

Ryan
Old 06-30-2001, 12:25 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Ryan, those posts were probably from me. Before my tranny went out and I discovered it was a legacy trans, I got a shudder between 25 and 45 mph. I discovered that it was the transfer clutches trying to line up (or whatever). Yes, after I had the trans rebuilt, the shudder went away.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-30-2001, 09:22 PM

It appears I spoke to soon. I went for a 300 mile trip today in it...and noticed that it was back! Well it's not quite as bad as it was before...but still noticable.

Oh well,
Ryan
Old 06-30-2001, 10:33 PM
Lowered SVX

ryan.....

have your tranny mount, sub-frame mounts, and engine mounts checked. beyond that i would check your wheel balance or brakes. or you getting the shudder under acceleration and immediate decceleration?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-30-2001, 11:40 PM

Yeah I'm debating unbalanced wheels. I'm guess the tranny mounts would have been checked...considering it just got replaced yesterday. Engine mounts...I doubt it...not a particular rev band. It only happens between (now anyways was worse) 51-55 mph. It suttle now...but you notice it...especially if you have to cruise at that speed for a while, ie, on the highway today.

Ryan
Old 07-01-2001, 02:16 PM
zsvx

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Yeah I'm debating unbalanced wheels. I'm guess the tranny mounts would have been checked...considering it just got replaced yesterday. Engine mounts...I doubt it...not a particular rev band. It only happens between (now anyways was worse) 51-55 mph. It suttle now...but you notice it...especially if you have to cruise at that speed for a while, ie, on the highway today.

Ryan
I had a lot of "unevenness" in driving my SVX for a long time. I had the drive line checked, got new tires (which I needed anyway), alignment and wheels balanced more than once and nothing seemed to help it. It wasn't until a few months ago I took the SVX to the last dealer I could find in the area and asked them to check things out. Turns out 3 of the wheels were out of balance. I guess the moral of the story is bang your head on the wall repeatedly (or something like that )