Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2014, 05:30 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Reading 16 meet info

It is a long ride for some of us. (200 miles or more ) the cars are getting older and less dependable. I think if there was a run for any other over 20 year old car at a distance of 400 miles RT you would see the attendance drop every year. I attend a rally in Lake George , NY. I see the attendance dropping. Reason price of Gas.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

It's a once a year thing. I'll bet most of the people that complain about the cost of gas have spent $100 on more trivial things in the year...
Old 11-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Registered SVX

Does this mean we are thinking of not having it? Sounds like we are saying the group is not big enough?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Reading will still happen no matter what.

Attendance figures may vary. Our highest official number was 77 back in 2008. The lowest attendance in history was last year, 18. There wasn't even a sign-up list for Reading 15.

The hotel accommodations have been secured. The rates, number and composition of rooms available in the block, as well as reserve cutoff dates have been established. It is now the responsibility of each member to obtain his/her room.

Most members say "it's not about the cars, but the people", that they most look forward to reconnecting with each year. That being said, there are other things that have come to make up the nuts-and-bolts of the meet. The additional events at Reading are also what attracts many members to attend. Many of have to be done on a local level and promoted early.

Restaurant research from those in the local area as to what is available or new, scenic drives, examining road construction, local road conditions, and detours, local events and happenings in the area, during that weekend.

Scavenger hunts, simple rallies, scenic drives, beginning Tech Sessions for newer members etc. These are things that have been done in the past and that many in Pennsylvania are more familiar with than I would be. We all need to pull together as a team to bring Reading back to vigorous health.

The dynamics of Reading have changed since the first impromptu meet in 2000. The original members are now older, some have moved on and are not as active. Newer, younger, members have great ideas, energy and enthusiasm, but look to others for experience and guidance. The lack of replacement parts, high maintenance costs, lack of available mechanics, etc. have caused some to avoid meaningful truly long-term commitments
altogether.

We need to all pull together to insure Reading's continued success. Involved members are necessary and I would hope to be able to count on them. This is something that only combined efforts can achieve, not plain luck (except with the weather)

Please continue to stay involved, or begin now.

I am not sure if anything can return Reading to its former glory days. When Reading started, the oldest SVX was 7 years old and the newest was only 2. Now with the first cars approaching the quarter-century mark, there are only a few prime examples of the marque left in great condition. Maybe Reading needs to be redefined in it's expectations.

It may be frustrating for the members who have had solid, intact, examples from the very beginning to see the slow deterioration of was once a beautiful example of automotive innovation in years past.

It may be equally as frustrating for those members who came to the party late, with aging cars, a diminishing parts availability and mechanical support, to think that they could ever bring their cars up to that level of excellence without an extraordinary amount of dedication, effort and money

I am open to any and all offers of assistance, comments, and ideas.

The next Reading starts NOW.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 11-13-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

....Back in 2012:

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post

If the people who think this meet at Reading sucks so bad then they need to step up. It is easy for people to come here to criticize and not do jack crap about it. It is also easy to criticize John about this yet he is the one who puts the effort into doing this year after year. Every time Ben, Dave, or myself have tried to do something (group drive, scavenger hunt, beer tour, car museum) it is like herding cats to get people to go along with it, and yet people still complain there is nothing to do. Personally I like sitting around and BSing with people I only get to talk to on the internet... and this is coming from a guy who is not the most sociable person you ever met.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
That is how the original Reading meet began. Read the "History of Reading".

This is like a recurring family reunion where you go to see those family members you have known for years, but don't get to see on a regular basis. You also get to seee new faces that have come aboard during the past year

I have never ditched my own family reunions just because there was no karaoke machine or other things to keep me amused. Its all about the people, friendships, love and memories for many of us. Anything more is welcomed and appreciated, but not required.

There will always be two kinds of attendees: Those that like to sit back, relax and socialize and those who like to drive and do stuff.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 11-15-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:57 PM

Registered SVX

What. Is the latest we can get a good room rate? Not going to know my situation til at least Feb.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
What. Is the latest we can get a good room rate? Not going to know my situation til at least Feb.
Reservation cutoff date for the discounted rate is WEDNESDAY, APRIL 1, 2015.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
The best bet is to book it now and cancel if you need. Your CC isn't charged until that weekend, and you can cancel up until the day before without penalty.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Hey everyone! Just dropping in to say Hi! I am planning on attending this years Reading. Its something I've dreamt of doing for years now, but lets just say when you live in San Diego and then Hawaii its easier said than done. My car was out of commission since moving home (Tennessee) pending multiple repairs (when your car knows your dad is e mechanic it likes to make a fuss when knowing access to parts and repairs is cheaper). Although I just did my water pump and timing belts I'm afraid I have bigger problems...probably my head gasket ::sigh:: I am just in denial as of the moment. If the engine comes out its getting a lot more than a head gasket. I plan to spend several thousand dollars. Either way its been a while since I've been on the forum and reading some of the comments here especially from SVXCESS has brought back all the fond memories of time I've spent with my SVX and the passion I have for this car. In a nut shell...I will find a way to be there and if not in my car then possibly I can borrow one of Huck's lol. But my little SVEXY would really like to meet her brothers and sisters how ever many may show up.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:49 PM

This will be my first meet and we want things to do. Ok now lets think about ways to get exited about this meet.
I grew up near this event and I used to go to see the drag races about 10 miles from the meet. I think it would be awesome to pull into Maple Grove Raceway with all our SVXs during this weekend. I checked the schedule and they don't have anything posted for that weekend yet. Maybe we could contact them and have some track time for just SVXs.

Thats my idea, any thoughts on this ?

http://www.maplegroveraceway.com/blog/

Last edited by te_w; 12-06-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Yay!!

and OMG deadlines... I need adhd meds

... and to call you back, John (and Tom!) - work has been stressful.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 03-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

What exactly does "Yay!" mean?
Are you coming?
Bringing the beast with the manual?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:42 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

I plan on attending next year since this year I do not have the vacation time or gas money to drive across the country
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM

Registered SVX

Just did a trip plan from here. Morgantown is closer to Pittsburg than Reading. Am I going to the wrong place? Please show a map of where it is!
I assumed it was close to Reading PA, Allentown area.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Just did a trip plan from here. Morgantown is closer to Pittsburg than Reading. Am I going to the wrong place? Please show a map of where it is!
I assumed it was close to Reading PA, Allentown area.
Morgantown PA is close to Reading PA, no more than 20-30 miles apart. Morgantown PA is more than a 100 miles away from Pittsburg.
Morgantown WV is fairly near Pittsburg
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007