How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Re: OEM struts. Options?

Whaaaaaa, whaaaa poor benebob :-( We cant help you're unlucky but one person getting a bad strut isn't an indicator that they are all bad.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a lottery ticket.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coan View Post
If you do buy new OEM struts. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look at the labels on the bag and the struts themselves for date codes. If you can, PLEASE take pictures of them and post them here. It would be very useful to us all.
I will see what I can do. Shipping to repair shop. I will call them
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coan View Post
If you do buy new OEM struts. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look at the labels on the bag and the struts themselves for date codes. If you can, PLEASE take pictures of them and post them here. It would be very useful to us all.
Here are the ones I was talking about:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-09-189516.50.54.jpg (556.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-189516.51.32.jpg (140.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-189516.52.02.jpg (555.7 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-189516.52.16.jpg (494.7 KB, 166 views)

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Here are the ones I was talking about:
Thanks for the pictures. I just went through a box of random parts that I have in the garage. They all have labels on the bags matching the ones in your pics, and they are all clearly in the same date code format ranging from 2003 to 2008.

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
Whaaaaaa, whaaaa poor benebob :-( We cant help you're unlucky but one person getting a bad strut isn't an indicator that they are all bad.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a lottery ticket.
Why don't you go ask Tim Eng about the 3 sets that failed before warranty was out and he ultimately went with konis....
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Or the 3 new OEM rear struts that failed on me, each within 6 months and less than 1K miles. I also went with Koni's.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 10-11-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

The range of dates over which these failures occured would be helpful.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
The range of dates over which these failures occured would be helpful.
Tim's were about 6 years ago IIRC. YT or Tim would know better as YT installed them, but Tim is pretty busy these days and not on often.
And I can't remember if it was bwb3 or someone else that just posted in the other thread about them failing just about a year ago. Until I heard that, I thought it was possible for them to have made a new run. But after that, that pretty much confirmed that there's been nothing done about the "situation".

Again, I could care less who does and doesn't want to believe it. Feel free to go throwing money away. I'm just trying to help...

Edit: ^This last statement wasn't actually directed at you Tony....

Last edited by 1986nate; 10-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Tim's were about 6 years ago IIRC. YT or Tim would know better as YT installed them, but Tim is pretty busy these days and not on often.
And I can't remember if it was bwb3 or someone else that just posted in the other thread about them failing just about a year ago. Until I heard that, I thought it was possible for them to have made a new run. But after that, that pretty much confirmed that there's been nothing done about the "situation".

Again, I could care less who does and doesn't want to believe it. Feel free to go throwing money away. I'm just trying to help...
Don't get cranky...give the new GF a kiss or something......

This is a help. I don't think anyone is trying win any sort of argument here. We are all just doing the best we can to gather data and speculate as to what the situation might be.

I did a little searching and found bwb's original posts on the subject. First, I think we need to separate rear struts from front struts. Why? Because they are different and, even if both went through a new mfg run, there could have been component issues with one but not the other. In other words, new rear struts could have been made with faulty valves whereas new fronts were not.

Also, we need to gather as much timing data as possible. Bwb appeared to buy and install his rear struts between 7/10 and 10/10. He posted a date code off of one of his failed struts and it was a 2007 date (070220). I will admit, that is discouraging. In December of 2010, just 5 months after bwb bought his struts, Geoff bought the same rear struts with 2009 date codes on them (091203). He sold the car about 7-8 months later without ever posting any issues with the struts. As you mentioned, Tim bought his around 2005 and, from what I recall others saying, Bob bought his around 2005 as well. So neither of them could have been from either a 2007 or a 2009 manufacturing run, if there was one. SVXRide also had a failure around the same time period.

Due to the nature of the beast, I find it unlikely that Subaru would leave unpackaged struts lying around. I would think that any labels on the struts themselves would be a manufacturing date. The labels on the bags could have dates that correspond more to an inventory date. So I tend to lean toward the above date codes being actual manufacturing dates. But that still leaves us with bwb's rear struts as a concern. It would point to struts being made in 2007 as having issues, for whatever reason. And if this assumption about dates is correct, it is very interesting that there appeared to be yet another manufacturing run in 2009. Maybe someone at Subaru figured out there was an issue and made their vendor do another run to replace their faulty stock?

And then we have the front struts. I haven't seen a single case of one of these being replaced and having the replacement fail soon after. That's curious.

What we really need to know is the probability of failure and then we could calculate the lower cost option. Sound like a poll is in order.....

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 10-11-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Excellent.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:34 AM

Registered SVX

The biggest question i have after reading this is, if we dont know whether the stock replacements will last what do we get next?
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
The biggest question i have after reading this is, if we dont know whether the stock replacements will last what do we get next?
Funny you should ask, we've been discussing that very question in another thread...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60228
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

The new old stock struts were awesome... for the first 11 months. I went through 3 suspension setups:

100% stock
"New" stock struts with Mychailo springs. I believe this was around 2006-2007
Koni Yellow with GC coilovers - 450f/350r - 2007 to current

I really enjoyed the 2nd set initially until I started experiencing dangerous bump steer once the rear struts completely went dead. By dead I mean you flip the strut over and it just falls right back in.

I'm not on too often but should be now that wedding season is coming to a close in 30 days for me and home buying is settling down. I've learned (and not just with cars) is to do it right the first time. Wait a little and save more money to do it, otherwise you end up spending more later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 10-18-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
The new old stock struts were awesome... for the first 11 months. I went through 3 suspension setups:

100% stock
"New" stock struts with Mychailo springs. I believe this was around 2006-2007
Koni Yellow with GC coilovers - 450f/350r - 2007 to current

I really enjoyed the 2nd set initially until I started experiencing dangerous bump steer once the rear struts completely went dead. By dead I mean you flip the strut over and it just falls right back in.
Did your front struts fail as well, or just the rears?

Also, an attempt to gather data on the subject has been made, it would be great if you could add your experience there as well. It should be noted that your struts were not used with stock springs. Whether it made a difference in the life of the struts or not is debatable, but IMO it should still be noted.

OEM strut poll can be found here.

Edit: Nevermind about the non-stock spring comment, I misread your post. It looks like you had them on stock springs first, and then the second set on aftermarket springs.

Last edited by Coan; 10-18-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
There are several answers to this question. IMO, one solution that won't go away is modding aftermarket impreza coilovers to fit. I am not 100% sure on which body impreza or whether WRX or STi coilovers would be better to start with, but with camber/caster plates on top, and the holes in the top of the strut tower drilled to accept them, and adjustable height coilovers, it has been done several times. The major downside to this compared to using the konis or the AMRs or the ebay coilovers is that the impreza struts won't have a bracket for the front swaybar. One workaround is to add a swaybar bracket to the control arm. The ebay coilovers came with an adapter that threaded onto the strut body. Perhaps such an adapter could be made that fits onto one of the threaded body aftermarket impreza coilovers.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album