SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
2 year anniversary

It has been two years with the SVX. I am now familiar with what is normal for this car and it has been a comfortable daily driver. In fact, I think the car likes to be driven and hates to sit more than a couple of days. The biggest lesson learned is to not listen to people who say "mine did that and it was a ______". At least, don't listen to them if they haven't shown to know what they are talking about. And it has been a challenge to determine who the real experts are and to what extent. I would again lke to thank dcarb and Trevor for being voices of reason when I first posted that my temp gauge was bouncing. Two years later and it is still rock solid near its typical reading after simply replacing the temperature sender. While the head gaskets could spring a leak tomorrow, it is clear that the head gasket was fine and that the problem was a simple and cheap part.

One thing that I find to be a shame is that some of the most knowledgeable people are the most quiet.

Now I am onto replacing my timing belt, water pump, struts and rear seats.......

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Re: 2 year anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post

The biggest lesson learned is to not listen to people who say "mine did that and it was a ______".

Sounds like someone "got up on the wrong side of the bed today", or it is just "that time of the month" for you

Compared to myself, you are a young guy, but I learned when I was far younger than yourself that there isn't a person on earth that I cannot learn something from. I have learned some things from your information... Thank you!

Hopefully we all can help get the word so you will get no more responses from people that were trying to help you that were able to get their SVX going after having the same problem... except for... dcarb and Trevor. Oops, Trevor is gone. Make that dcard.

Keith

I seriously miss Trevor.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
It has been two years with the SVX. I am now familiar with what is normal for this car and it has been a comfortable daily driver. In fact, I think the car likes to be driven and hates to sit more than a couple of days. The biggest lesson learned is to not listen to people who say "mine did that and it was a ______". At least, don't listen to them if they haven't shown to know what they are talking about. And it has been a challenge to determine who the real experts are and to what extent. I would again lke to thank dcarb and Trevor for being voices of reason when I first posted that my temp gauge was bouncing. Two years later and it is still rock solid near its typical reading after simply replacing the temperature sender. While the head gaskets could spring a leak tomorrow, it is clear that the head gasket was fine and that the problem was a simple and cheap part.

One thing that I find to be a shame is that some of the most knowledgeable people are the most quiet.

Now I am onto replacing my timing belt, water pump, struts and rear seats.......
I remember others who have had similar rush to judgements on their overheating issues. I'm glad the issue turned out to be something other than the HG. I wish you many more happy miles. As for the board it just seems a little quiet in general lately.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-04-2012, 02:50 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
I think a lot of the more experienced/knowledgeable people are bored of answering the same questions over and over. Or they're out driving and enjoying their cars, because they're able to take care of them well enough to do that.

Happy driving, everyone.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
They're out driving and enjoying their cars, because they're able to take care of them well enough to do that.
I know I sure am! My silver just turned over a new milestone,56K, this week... They are adding up way too fast!

Had to bring out the lo mile 74K pearl for an emission check so I plan to just drive it a bit the rest of the year. Like huskey said, "the car likes to be driven and hates to sit"

When I took it up for the emissions inspection, two different workers there at the DOT emissions station raved about pearl... Saying they are seriously considering trying to locate one of those SVX's. My advice to them... Do not just go out and buy a SVX. Find a low mileage, well maintained SVX and buy that!

Pearl passed with flying colors... even with not being driven, with the exception of just enough to warm up the engine every couple of weeks for over a year, it did great

Like he said... Happy driving everyone

Keith
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Wow, 56k and 74k? Nice. I didn't realize you had such low-mileage cars. That must be why you're never asking for help troubleshooting stuff.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-04-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Wow, 56k and 74k? Nice. I didn't realize you had such low-mileage cars. That must be why you're never asking for help troubleshooting stuff.
Yes, it has been a while, hasn't it!

The last 2 years my SVX maintenance was a new battery and simply replacing the front half shafts on Silver. On one side, the boot developed a small tear... made smoke on the exhaust manifold and while I was "in the neighborhood" I simply replaced both.

My 1st SVX, the claret looking thing, runs fantastic with 230k+ miles on it. This form was a lifesaver for me to keep it going. Thanks for everyone that took me under their wing and made it possible for me to learn about the SVX. I owe you all!

If you count everything I did to the claret, even doing all the work myself, It is by far my most expensive SVX, by far! I got really tired of laying out in the cold floor in an unheated garage and working on that SVX. Working was fun, but the cold floor was bad.

No, neither Sun visor sags in any of them. Glass is good in them all. Auto dimming rear view mirrors... All 3 hoods stay up perfect. So do all 3 trunks! All 3 have HID lo beams
I have an extra High Amperage alternator on standby just in case it is needed.

My suggestion... Keep your SVX a class act! That will make them all more valuable.

Keith
Old 08-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Sounds like someone "got up on the wrong side of the bed today", or it is just "that time of the month" for you

Compared to myself, you are a young guy, but I learned when I was far younger than yourself that there isn't a person on earth that I cannot learn something from. I have learned some things from your information... Thank you!

Hopefully we all can help get the word so you will get no more responses from people that were trying to help you that were able to get their SVX going after having the same problem... except for... dcarb and Trevor. Oops, Trevor is gone. Make that dcard.

Keith

I seriously miss Trevor.
Apparently you didn't learn one lesson, don't be an antagonist who twists people's words lest you lower yourself to the same level as an insecure evo driver. I was searching old posts for information recently and I stumbled on a thread from 2006 where someone flat out admitted that they intentionally baited and antagonized a fellow forum member in an attempt to make that person snap so they would get banned. And this was after they had already sold their only SVX. And that behavior continues six years later.

Trevor and dcarb haven't been the only sources of reliable help and information. Nate and Tom are clearly great resources. I shouldn't even have to mention that but, now, I do so as to avoid people thinking your words are mine. And there are others as well who tend to remain quiet. (you did catch that in my original post, right?) These individuals post great insights but far too rarely. I have been exchanging emails with a knowledgable fellow from England recently, for example. You know who you are.

I am somewhat saddened by your response Keith. I really thought you had put this behind you and found some inner peace. I was specifically trying to avoid implicating you in my OP because you seemed to had really turned over a new leaf. You may not remember it but the flurry of responses I got 2 years ago when I posted my temp gauge issue was a particularly ugly example of the human condition known as "misery loves company". And, again, it wasn't just you that contributed. That such tendencies exist is/was the real lesson.

As these cars age and people have more and more stuff fail on them, it is important to remember this. As was recently mentioned, not everyone on this forum has a ton of money to spend keeping these cars running well. It would really suck if anyone who is struggling financially spent money fixing something that didn't need to be fixed or if anyone stressed out about a potential major repair before it was clear that one was really needed. And for what, so people can feel better knowing they aren't alone in their painful experiences? Hopefully you see what I am saying and we can maintain a truce of sorts.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 08-04-2012, 06:45 PM

Tony, a truce of sorts is fine if that is as far as you want to go! I am sorry, I must have read something into that that was not intended.

Now you are contemplating replacing the timing belt along with the water pump, struts and rear seats, I discovered a way to make lining up and installing the new belt a "piece of cake".; instead of the struggle, it is as simple as just laying it in place! Not sure anyone noticed because I only mentioned it once and had no comments.

If you are interested, and would be more comfortable not posting a request for my help, just PM me. It is so easy it is almost like stealing!

Keith
Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Tony, a truce of sorts is fine if that is as far as you want to go! I am sorry, I must have read something into that that was not intended.

Now you are contemplating replacing the timing belt along with the water pump, struts and rear seats, I discovered a way to make lining up and installing the new belt a "piece of cake".; instead of the struggle, it is as simple as just laying it in place! Not sure anyone noticed because I only mentioned it once and had no comments.

If you are interested, and would be more comfortable not posting a request for my help, just PM me. It is so easy it is almost like stealing!

Keith
Oh, I'm not doing that work myself. I drive this car as a daily driver and don't trust myself. I will consult a professional when the time comes. I hope I can find time to get down to Tom and he can open up time for me at some point this fall.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Hater

Quote:
Apparently you didn't learn one lesson, don't be an antagonist who twists people's words lest you lower yourself to the same level as an insecure evo driver. I was searching old posts for information recently and I stumbled on a thread from 2006 where someone flat out admitted that they intentionally baited and antagonized a fellow forum member in an attempt to make that person snap so they would get banned. And this was after they had already sold their only SVX. And that behavior continues six years later.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 08-04-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I'm a member on Mercedes Benz, Ford, Dodge and this forum. This forum is by far the best forum out there! I'm a member of 7 years. Yes you will need to thicken your skin a little but overall we have the nicest and most knowledgeable guys on our cars! Continue to enjoy your car and the positive comments made

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 AM

Registered SVX

I read this forum a lot.. There has most definitely been a decline in the quality of posts.
There are a few posters here that seem to post things only to antagonize people to get a response.

There has always been, and will always be, people disagreeing on whats wrong with someones car..
We are all guessing, we don't have the car.. Wrong guesses will happen.

What's uncalled for is the the snide remarks and tone of some of the posters...

I think everyone should ask themselves, "Will my post help this thread?", before pushing submit post button...

Anyways...
Congrats on the 2 year mark. I'm at that same point. My struts are shot also. And I too am getting tired of the infighting.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The simple solution:

Why wouldn't you?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
The simple solution:

Why wouldn't you?

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Closed Thread