Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Parts For Sale

Old 03-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Registered SVX
Re: need fwd diff 3.70 gear ratio

Ok, you know how tell a phase 2 from the phase 1 (which you need)? The phase 2 has a threaded filter on the drivers side of the box - like an engine oil filter. Steer away.

I do not know what gear ratios are used in an FWD Legacy, but your speedo will be off if they are not the same as in the SVX. Also the stall speed of the converter is higher - you shold use the SVX converter if it is not contaminated by a transmission failure - the fuild path is separate from the diff, though.

You sure it's not a wheel bearing or something?

Flakes in the diff oil when you drain it? In the magnetic plug?

You could investigate thru the drain plug if you want to.... You can try to pin point the potential excessive play.

You can move the crown wheel back and forth and assess the backlash. By locking the crown wheel with a large screw driver and twisting both of the output stubshafts you find excessive play in the side/spider gears. You can also see the tip of each crown wheel tooth thru the drain plug.

Further, you also have a direct line of sight to the pinion teeth thru the diff dipstick hole.

These do not cost a thing

Tapani
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Unhappy Re: need fwd diff 3.70 gear ratio

Ok I am all confused now but yes I will drain the differential fluid but I have experience this noise before and it wasnt a wheel bearing.I was looking at the legacy fwd tranny on ebay seller didnt say whether it was a phase 1 or 2.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Ok, you know how tell a phase 2 from the phase 1 (which you need)? The phase 2 has a threaded filter on the drivers side of the box - like an engine oil filter. Steer away.
This is true, but it would be near impossible to find a phase 2 FWD subaru trans in the US, I think.

Quote:
I do not know what gear ratios are used in an FWD Legacy, but your speedo will be off if they are not the same as in the SVX.
Not necessarily. My 6-speed for example is completely different from the stock auto, but the speedo is dead-on. After the swap, check it against a GPS speedo, and if it's off, there are some ways to deal with it.

Quote:
Also the stall speed of the converter is higher - you shold use the SVX converter if it is not contaminated by a transmission failure - the fuild path is separate from the diff, though.
Yes, use the SVX torque converter.

Quote:
You sure it's not a wheel bearing or something?

Flakes in the diff oil when you drain it? In the magnetic plug?

You could investigate thru the drain plug if you want to.... You can try to pin point the potential excessive play.

You can move the crown wheel back and forth and assess the backlash. By locking the crown wheel with a large screw driver and twisting both of the output stubshafts you find excessive play in the side/spider gears. You can also see the tip of each crown wheel tooth thru the drain plug.

Further, you also have a direct line of sight to the pinion teeth thru the diff dipstick hole.

These do not cost a thing
I agree that you might not want to write off the trans right away before checking if it's actually bad. I don't think there are really any other things that could cause those symptoms other than a failed front diff though.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-18-2012, 04:55 PM

Registered SVX

I'm also guessing that this was the trans and car that was "dragged" and therefore did not question the diagnosis.

Agreed, you won't find a FWD phase 2 transmission.

And speedo won't always be off with a change.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Registered SVX

Ok, sorry for confusing you - that was not my intension

Maybe the symptoms have been previously discussed in another thread.... I only saw this one .

If you are sure it's the diff then just disregard what I said.

And Ice, you're correct (as always) on the speedo issue... the driving gear is on the diff carrier - not the pinion .

Tapani
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 AM

Ok my fluid was drained and teeth or pieces of metal came out.Here what I have almost available a 95 fwd legacy looks like a phase 1.I use my svx converter or go with the legacy converter.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

The SVX TQ is larger, use that one.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Isn't it normally the side gears that go bad on the fwd transmissions? I have a complete carrier you can have for $50 if you want to put that in it.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 AM

If you mean a front diff you got a deal give me a address levacy i saw got over300 thousand miles
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM

You mean the complete differential I hope
Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 AM

I replied before but I dont think it posted the legacy I was going to but differential has over 300k miles so I will gladly purchases yours just pm me a address and i will next day.a payment.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
You mean the complete differential I hope
If that's directed at longassname, he does not mean the complete differential. The carriers are the parts that drive the axles on the sides of the differential or something. I'm not 100% sure of the anatomy of a diff, but that's what I've gleaned so far.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 AM

I will purchase that part still because if my carrier is busted a transmission should be able to rebuild my differential with another carrier.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Yes, not a complete differential--the carrier. The carrier is the part that allows the axles to spin at different speeds. The parts inside of the carrier are the parts that usually go bad on the front wheel drive transmissions. If that is true in your case then all you need is a carrier not a whole new differential. Like tapani was saying, if you replace just the carrier then you don't have to open up the transmission to undo the stake nut on the pinion.

To replace the carrier you only have to unbolt the differential from the transmission. The carrier hangs/spins in the differential between the side plates. You remove the side plates to release the carrier. Unbolt your ring gear from your old carrier. Bolt your ring gear to your new carrier and hang it between the side plates again. You'll have to make a tool to remove, install, and adjust the side plates propperly but it's a lot smaller job than replacing a whole differential--that and luckily I happen to have a good carrier I'm happy to get rid of at the moment.

You just need to take your differntial off to make sure it is in fact your side gears inside your carrier and you don't have a broken ring and pinion.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
I should be able to rebuild my differential with another carrier.
If you want take this path we will walk with you... Mike has done a whole number of them and I just finished mine - threw in a torque sensing carrier.

Depending on a lot of things (how long you want to keep if off the road, etc)one idea is to drop your existing tranny and split the diff casing for inspection. If all except the carrier looks good just swap in the one Mike offered and you're good.

Tapani

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: