Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Just had tranny rebuilt, and .......

Does the type of ATF used have anything to do with it. I had put in Amsoil synthetic ATF in the tranny and synthetic 75w90 gear oil in the diffs
Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
Does the type of ATF used have anything to do with it. I had put in Amsoil synthetic ATF in the tranny and synthetic 75w90 gear oil in the diffs
I can not speak for Amsoil, but if you are using a Dexron/Mercon synthetic, then you should be good.
And yes, a 75/90 gear oil is correct.
Did your mechanic ever do that "driveshaft test" that we spoke of?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

In difficult times like these, I have to wonder , "What would YT do?".
I would have checked and confirmed proper tps values adjusted as needed. Thatbdidnt work? Ceck the differential between vss#2 and #1. Still binding? Fix obvious speedo issue whic.is prob a bad drive gear in front diff. Still binding? Remove tail housing and confirm the clearances and adjust as needed.. but what the hell... drop some snake oil in it and send it down the road sounds a hell of lot easier.

Tom
Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Registered SVX

OT and YT, thanks for your replies, it sure means alot to get opinions and suggestions from the top two svx mechanics in the world OT, no I have been driving the car all week to work, a 65 mile round trip daily, and the binding condition has not changed one way or the other. The tranny shifts great, very smooth shifts, its just the binding on turns going forward or reverse. I plan on dropping the car off on Monday to the tranny shop. I will be sure to give them all the info you suggested. What really bugs me is prior to picking up the car after the rebuild, I asked the owner of the shop, which has only two employees, how does it drive and shift, and he said OK. If he really test drove the car after the rebuild, he would have immediately felt the bind as you pull out of the shop driveway, as I did when I left. When I told him about the binding, he said if it breaks, I'll just rebuild it again. It took him two months between waiting for parts and rebuilding the tranny, and almost another month once I towed my car up there for him to put the tranny in. I broke down June 11 and I didnt get my car back till Sept. 19 I should have gone with the 4.44's and had peace of mind that a pro like OT was taking care of my beloved svx. OT, I may still yet be paying you visit, I have a feeling. I will try lubegard and see how that works. Is it available in local parts stores? yesterday when driving to work, my speedo suddlenly started working for about five minutes or so, then needle abruptly dropped back to zero. Then on my way home from work, the needle would occasionaly move around a bit, but then go back to zero and stay there. Should I be buying a new speed sensor, or is there something the shop screwed up. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Registered SVX

OT, remember when you worked on my polo, you changed my tranny fluid and filter and filled it with Amsoil ATF. I have never ever had any problems with Amsoil ATF in all my subarus, so Im sure this is a non issue.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:49 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
OT, remember when you worked on my polo, you changed my tranny fluid and filter and filled it with Amsoil ATF. I have never ever had any problems with Amsoil ATF in all my subarus, so Im sure this is a non issue.
Back in 06-06-2008 I put in 12 quarts of fully synthetic ATF,
but it was Mobil1 (for $72.13.)
Today I use fully synthetic BG Products ATF whenever the customer will allow it.
I still do not have easy access to Amsoil.
I believe that our transmissions are better protected with ANY fully synthetic ATF.
I just have had such good history with the BG Products that I use it most, now that once again I can actually BUY it.

When I install one of LAN's rebuilt transmissions I go with his preferance, Genuine Subaru ATF and a quart of (Silver) Lube Guard.

He rebuilt it.
He did his research.
He stands behind it.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM

Registered SVX

this may be a stupid question but i figured i would ask. are your tires all at the same point of wear? a newly rebuilt transmission might be a lot more sensitive to this than your old one.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX

Afirmitive!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Flames aside, this thread is of great interest to me as just in the last couple of days I've had a strange thumping noise from my rear end too (okay, the car's rear end). It happens anytime I turn the wheel to make a roughly 90 degree turn. Low speed of course. It doesn't make it (yet) on slight turns, like a moving lane change type of turn of the wheel, or shallow turns.

The sound is a REALLY deep throbbing sound - like a car that's nearby with a big subwoofer booming (it sounds exactly like that actually - I have to concentrate to make sure I'm not mistaking my noise for a riced out Honda Civic with 15" subs blasting away). Also, if I'm sitting still and just turn the wheel lock to lock I get a very low continuous "subwoofer" sound.

I'm no longer a fan of crawling under the car and pulling wrenches (comes with age I guess), so I'm hoping it's nothing too expensive (or at least too involved for me if it's expensive).

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Austin; 10-12-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Registered SVX

UPDATE: BINDING IS GONE, and all I did was put about 300 miles on it since the rebuild and did 20 figure eights in the local target parking lot. Yippeeeee!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 AM

Registered SVX

a step in the right direction. Yippi !!! Moving on to the idle now if that will straighten it self out .
Old 10-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
A proper rebuild shouldn't need anything other than a proper transmission fluid. Worst case, do some figure 8's to break the transfer clutches in but I would not add any type of additive.

Quote:
UPDATE: BINDING IS GONE, and all I did was put about 300 miles on it since the rebuild and did 20 figure eights in the local target parking lot. Yippeeeee!
Glad it worked itself out.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 PM

Registered SVX

yes me too
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 PM

Registered SVX

As you all know, I had my tranny rebuilt by a local shop last month. A few days ago, I noticed about a three inch diameter ATF leak on my garage floor I was shocked to say the least, and very ticked off. Yesterday I finally had the time to crawl under the car and check. Turns out the drain plug on the tranny pan was only hand tightened, and a bead of ATF fluid was dripping from the plug and running to the center of the pan and then hitting the floor. How does such an oversight like this happen. Mind you, I have only driven the car roughly 300 miles since the rebuild because of the idle issue I still havent fixed, but will be. Now what if I had been driving it everyday, and the plug would have eventually fallen out, and all the ATF would have drained out, and bang there would have gone another tranny. This doesnt sit well with me, and not to mention, my speed sensor doesnt work after they did my tranny, and they are trying to find me used one. Im never dealing with this tranny shop again after this.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
the drain plug on the tranny pan was only hand tightened, and a bead of ATF fluid was dripping from the plug and running to the center of the pan and then hitting the floor. How does such an oversight like this happen.

this happened to me as well when i had rt40 auto done my 4.44 swap on my yellow. the plug was hand tightened!!! good thing i discovered it. first swap, the front diff still made noise right after when i test-drove. second swap, it turned out rear-end making noise after 40mph. idk.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05