Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
O2 sensor bad out of the box?

How unusual is it to have a bad O2 sensor right out of the box? I had bank 1 sensor 3 throw a code for a slow response so we replaced it with a Bosch sensor. About a week later it threw the same code. It has been wet and slushy here. Not sure if that matters. Maybe we replaced the wrong sensor? My fuel trim numbers on bank 1 have been high (14-17%) before and after the sensor replacement. Not sure if that is related.

I also noticed my damn dipstick is popping up again. We just replaced the PCV valve which was stuck. This is a simple device so it shouldn't be bad out of the box. Maybe this time it really is just in need of a new o-ring.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 AM

Registered SVX
Re: O2 sensor bad out of the box?

I have the same problem.Same code po 145. It's not the sensor.I used a bosch as well.I've tried using an ngk and that didn't help either. Some say it only likes oem but I don't know for sure.I just keep erasing the cel w/scanner because I'm to lazy to fix it right now. This car gives me more headaches than my ex.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Registered SVX

with those kind of fuel trim numbers on one bank only it's fairly likely that you either have a vacuum leak on that side of the intake manifold or a leak in the exhaust ahead of the sensor, however the front o2 sensors (bank 1 sensor one and bank 2 sensor one) are the sensors that control fuel trim the other ones are only to monitor the catalyst.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I also noticed my damn dipstick is popping up again. We just replaced the PCV valve which was stuck. This is a simple device so it shouldn't be bad out of the box. Maybe this time it really is just in need of a new o-ring.
If your pcv valve clogged that quickly, you need to find the cause of the oil blowby. How many miles on the engine?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnycash View Post
If your pcv valve clogged that quickly, you need to find the cause of the oil blowby. How many miles on the engine?
I actually don't know if the PCV is clogged again. The popping dipstick is either that or the old o-ring on the stick. The car has about 78K miles on it and is a 1996.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I actually don't know if the PCV is clogged again. The popping dipstick is either that or the old o-ring on the stick. The car has about 78K miles on it and is a 1996.
Tony, I think I told you months ago that the 02 sensor code is a catchall code and can possibly, but does not necessarily, mean there is anything wrong with your 02 sensor.

*Might check for a blown head gasket*.

A blown head gasket was my problem when I continued to get the 02 code after replacing the 02 sensor... that replacement didn't prevent the code from coming right back up a couple of days later.
Hope this helps
Stay warm...
Keith
Old 02-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Registered SVX

I would just replace the o-ring. How much resistance is there when you seat tue dipstick? My new o-ring take a little push to fully seat it in place.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I would just replace the o-ring. How much resistance is there when you seat tue dipstick? My new o-ring take a little push to fully seat it in place.
Not much at all. I will replace the o-ring and just have them check vacuum levels and PCV operation when I bring in the car next.