SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX
where did that wire go :[

my left tweeter had the original wire in the holder, but the right one had fallen down. i know it's somewhere lost behind the glove compartment, but how to i reach that? do i take the glove box out, or can i remove that side panel by the door? i don't want to break anything that doesn't come off.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Registered SVX
Re: where did that wire go :[

It might be easier to fish a new wire through the door using a coat hanger. It's a good idea to run new wire anyways, as the original wire is old and may not suffice if you are powering your speaker off an amp. I think you said you were going to power them off the source unit, right? Either way, it may be easier to just run new wire.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-30-2011, 12:51 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

i'm running the door speakers off the stock headunit. i would run new wire, but isn't there a crossover built into the tweeter cables that only allows certain high pitched frequencies in? does the tweeter wire come from the door or from the radio?
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

You're going to be running new wire all over the place anyway. Are you using aftermarket tweeters or the stock ones? Aftermarkets should have their own crossover or high-pass filter anyway. You can probably get to the stock wire by reaching around in the hole.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

i've been looking in there. what color is the wire? if you know. there's so much crap shoved in there. can i simply take off that side panel where the defroster comes out to the door? it feels like it's connected to the whole dash. and yes they are aftermarket. mine never had tweeters, just the tweeter holder.
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Registered SVX

If they're aftermarket, just run new wire, along with the crossovers or filters that came (I assume) with them. I don't think the stock tweeter wiring would have had a crossover or filter in line with the wiring, since it has its own output from the stock headunit. Just drop down the new wire through the hole and wiggle it around and grab the other end from below. That way you don't have to take apart the glovebox. I actually mounted the crossovers for mine just to the right of the glove box, by removing that little device that makes the glove box open slowly. They sit between the right side of the glove box and that grey panel with the vent that connects to the door vents. To do that you'd have to take out the glovebox though, which is a PITA. If you are going to attempt that, then ask how to first.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Last edited by icingdeath88; 01-30-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

they are aftermarket, but i just connected them to the original wire. i didn't get a component system because i was on a tight budget. the left tweeter sounds great, and to get sound to the right one i spliced the wire for the left one, and ran rca cable in front of the dash to the right tweeter. it only gets half the volume, which makes me angry. all i want is that original wire. i'm probably biting off more that i can chew. unless i take apart the entire dash (i cannot find a how-to on it...)
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 PM

Registered SVX

Just run new wire to bypass the stock wiring if you can't find it. Splice into the front right speaker wiring for it (See pinout).

More info you'll be interested in here: http://ae64.com/AudioInstall-2.htm#2...adioConnPinout

And if you're going to get a new headunit and the stock head unit harness isn't already btchered then this is a must: http://ae64.com/SVXharness.htm

Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

would i run it from the speaker terminals or the wire before the speaker?
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 01-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Registered SVX

I'd run it from behind the headunit.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
would i run it from the speaker terminals or the wire before the speaker?
Although I agree with icing that it would be best to run it off the head unit.

There is no reason why you could not run it off of the right speaker terminals or tap into the wire leading to the right speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
...the left tweeter sounds great, and to get sound to the right one i spliced the wire for the left one, and ran rca cable in front of the dash to the right tweeter. it only gets half the volume, which makes me angry. all i want is that original wire. i'm probably biting off more that i can chew. unless i take apart the entire dash (i cannot find a how-to on it...)
huh? you spliced the speaker wire into an RCA cable and then wired it to the tweeter? Are you out of speaker wire?
If you wired them together with speaker wire they should be the same volume, just both left channel.
One speaker having a longer wire would not cause it to have lower volume.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Although I agree with icing that it would be best to run it off the head unit.

There is no reason why you could not run it off of the right speaker terminals or tap into the wire leading to the right speaker.
Yea you could, but its a lot easier to find the right wire at its source. Before it gets to the inside of the door the speaker wire is in a big bundle of wires that I can't imagine it would be easy to isolate it from. And running a wire into the door is a major PITA. So at the head unit it is.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:50 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

so you're saying simply splice the right front channel speaker right at the head unit, and run a wire up to the tweeter? will that affect the sound though? will it give half the load to the tweeter and half to the right channel though? i'm probably thinking wrong but that's what it did when i spliced the tweeters
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM

Registered SVX

It doesn't work like that. Just like headphone splitters, the volume stays the same when you add the second pair of headphones.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

duh. i'm so smart guys. seriously. thanks for the help lol
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob