Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Has your SVX ever left you stranded?

So I was driving home the other night, and I just started thinking about this randomly. My car isn't have problems or anything (knock on wood) but I was just curious if anyone has ever been stranded by their SVX.

Once mine wouldn't start, but it was here in town and I have another car anyway. Turned out it was just the coolant temp sensor was bad.

So, I'm curious, if you have been stranded... What happened? What caused it, and what was the fix?

I'd just like to have people get a good idea of what COULD go wrong, so they can prepare themselves better.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Re: Has your SVX ever left you stranded?

yes, but i was stupid and repaired it anyway.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Radiator burst, luckily within AAA towing distance. Nothing else that couldn't be delt with at a later time. Knock wood 2.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
So I was driving home the other night, and I just started thinking about this randomly. My car isn't have problems or anything (knock on wood) but I was just curious if anyone has ever been stranded by their SVX.

Once mine wouldn't start, but it was here in town and I have another car anyway. Turned out it was just the coolant temp sensor was bad.

So, I'm curious, if you have been stranded... What happened? What caused it, and what was the fix?

I'd just like to have people get a good idea of what COULD go wrong, so they can prepare themselves better.
I posted this at the time, but mine decided to die on me at a stop light about 9pm on a busy street. I had a bad Neg (-) battery connector that'd been giving me trouble for a couple of days (no start, random stalling, etc). It gave out in traffic, and I had to push it a half block to the nearest parking lot, ugh. The next day I got an Optima Red-Top and new terminal connectors and haven't had a single issue since.

My MAF also gave me a stall in the inside lane of a blind turn on the freeway. It only took a couple of tries to restart, but then I had to get back into traffic with little run-up and no visibility. I got my ECUTune stage 2 the next day, and no more MAF problems.

If it causes a breakdown I won't just put the same part back in as before. I like to have it fixed with certainty that it won't happen again.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

once when the charge cables on the alternator fried, i had to make a replacement cable in a pepboys parking lot

2nd time was when my radiator cracked. i had a friend take me to get water then i limped it home and had to wait a few days to get a pwr radiator
Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 AM

In 70-some thousand miles I've had a PS/alternator belt inexplicably break, alternator "Christmas lights" times 2, and a dead battery (unrelated to the ALT failures), but I wasn't far afield and got home. Been lucky.

dcb
Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

2 weeks ago alternator died on the middle of the highway.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 PM

Define "ever left you stranded" Stranded could be in your driveway when you need to go somewhere.
My AAA membership is limited to 150 miles which is always a consideration when I plan a trip... so my answer would be "no".

Keith (knocking on wood)

Last edited by kwren; 06-02-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: n/a
Old 06-02-2010, 02:11 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
2 weeks ago alternator died on the middle of the highway.
This happened with me a few weeks ago as well, about 1am on the interstate. Didn't want to leave the car on the shoulder so I had a friend come jump me. Had him follow me because, sure enough, the battery died again just as I was rolling down the off-ramp. One more jump and I made it home to the driveway.

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Once when I first got it, the power steering belt snapped, then again, and again, and again but luckily I called Tom and he walked me through how to fix it each time.

Then, I had a problem where the car overheated and would NOT move. Aparently when my father gave me the car, he never ever put oil in it. Tom came and fixed my problem but I was stuck in the middle of the road for a while.

Then, I had a problem with a coilpack and got stranded but Tom fixed it by moving coil to coil till it was right.

Jesus, hope it stops there.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 06-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Not yet. 321
2001 Audi S8
Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I once drove 100 miles home on a destroyed transmission.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 06-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Not really stranded. My alternator semi-died and I didn't feel confident taking the SVX, so I rode the bike that day.

Once on the highway the car overheated. The thermostat cover had corroded badly and was leaking around the hose, and I'm guessing the coolant ran too low. shut down and coasted to a stop, filled the engine with several bottles of water and some water out of a ditch filtered through a microfiber towel. Started it up, burped the system, and drove the remaining 13 hours of my trip without incident.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

My power steering belt also snapped on me in my 96 car, dash lit up like a christmas tree. Like he said, easy fix though.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Battery died a couple times right when I got it, replaced battery. (Batteries have a pretty short life in Florida, I believe due to the heat and humidity.)

The closest I've been to stranded was when the power steering crapped out and started gushing fluid all over the place. However, it happened around the corner from my complex, so I made it back to the garage ok. Trail of p/s fluid was visible for a few weeks, lol. Car was down for almost a week, during which I was luckily out of town for most of.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album