Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Too much B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
pour Jose and Tony's in yu0r engine to clean out the buildup.

can someone pleeze move this to the tech section? kthanxbye.
Fixed it!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
The reason I didn't do this in the past is because it says:
Thanks for pointing that out, I will update it.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

I am just tired of the lack of maturity and the high school like drama of these internet warriors... Grow-up...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

This has turned into a very interesting and valuable thread. Thanks for all the feedback so far, both positive and negative.

We would probably need to lock it down before it gets out of hand.

Nah!! Just kidding.

Based on your feedback we need to make some changes to keep technical information tidy and accessible. Here is what could be a start for positive change, and it requires work by both posters/members and by moderators.

Technical threads of any nature:
  1. Ensure the thread title is accurately descriptive of what subject matter is in the thread. No "Help please" titles.
  2. In a technical thread no hijacking of the thread or deviation from the topic. Stay on topic. Mods will purge offending posts.
  3. Members are encouraged to start "Compilation" threads on fixes or mods or common technical problems.
    Moderators will
    • Keep them tidy and to the point. Purge BS.
    • Make the thread "sticky" in a dedicated folder if the content is informative and valuable like Zandar's thread mentioned earlier.
  4. At a conclusive point in long technical threads a technical member will be asked to summarise the developments, the knowledge gained, any outcomes or suggested modifications so that the data is precise, accurate and correct for less technical readers.

That might be a start. Any suggestions?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

That looks great Joe. I would add that if someone sees that the post has had posts that are not to those standards, report it and we can do those changes.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
This has turned into a very interesting and valuable thread. Thanks for all the feedback so far, both positive and negative.

We would probably need to lock it down before it gets out of hand.

Nah!! Just kidding.

Based on your feedback we need to make some changes to keep technical information tidy and accessible. Here is what could be a start for positive change, and it requires work by both posters/members and by moderators.

Technical threads of any nature:
  1. Ensure the thread title is accurately descriptive of what subject matter is in the thread. No "Help please" titles.
  2. In a technical thread no hijacking of the thread or deviation from the topic. Stay on topic. Mods will purge offending posts.
  3. Members are encouraged to start "Compilation" threads on fixes or mods or common technical problems.
    Moderators will
    • Keep them tidy and to the point. Purge BS.
    • Make the thread "sticky" in a dedicated folder if the content is informative and valuable like Zandar's thread mentioned earlier.
  4. At a conclusive point in long technical threads a technical member will be asked to summarise the developments, the knowledge gained, any outcomes or suggested modifications so that the data is precise, accurate and correct for less technical readers.

That might be a start. Any suggestions?

Joe
Joe, this would be truly wonderful if it could be correctly implemented.

Point (1):- I surely do not need to confirm that this would result in a huge improvement.

(2) Agreed and spot on.

(3) A great idea but may be hard to implement. As a development of the idea. --- How about the authors of technical queries being encouraged to include a section within their thread headed "Compilation", which they could continually edit on the basis of finite statements answering the issue raised. This text could then provide a basis for a sticky or a final point of reference.

Again this could be difficult to implement, considering the standard of literacy somtimes currently displayed.

Intervention by moderators would require absolute skill and knowledge in respect of the issue in point.

(4) The member/moderator taking on such a task would of absolute necessity, have to demonstrate very real skill and ability. Accuracy, fairness and compassion would be a definite prerequisite.

I recall that some time ago a member suggested the establishment of some form of format, to be filled in as a means of establishing a logical structure in respect of technical queries. Your suggestions could be covered within such a published format. Overall simplicity would essential for this to be a success.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Joe, this would be truly wonderful if it could be correctly implemented.

Point (1):- I surely do not need to confirm that this would result in a huge improvement.

(2) Agreed and spot on.

(3) A great idea but may be hard to implement. As a development of the idea. --- How about the authors of technical queries being encouraged to include a section within their thread headed "Compilation", which they could continually edit on the basis of finite statements answering the issue raised. This text could then provide a basis for a sticky or a final point of reference.

Again this could be difficult to implement, considering the standard of literacy sometimes currently displayed.

Intervention by moderators would require absolute skill and knowledge in respect of the issue in point.

(4) The member/moderator taking on such a task would of absolute necessity, have to demonstrate very real skill and ability. Accuracy, fairness and compassion would be a definite prerequisite.

I recall that some time ago a member suggested the establishment of some form of format, to be filled in as a means of establishing a logical structure in respect of technical queries. Your suggestions could be covered within such a published format. Overall simplicity would essential for this to be a success.
Very good ideas Trevor. Now that we [the mods & admins] have the ball we will run with it and trust everybody will play along.

One of the principal criticisms seems to be that mods don't intervene enough apparently, and in the matter of keeping technical subjects on topic we will address that.

It's a matter of policy with the mods that we respect everybody's opinion and the right to express it, so we intentionally don't intervene in many cases unless the post breaks the rules on personal attacks and lack of respect for fellow members. We can maintain that approach while at the same time insisting that posts remain on topic for important technical areas.

Your own contributions in relation to the format issue are stickied and noted. I will say however that some simplification would be beneficial as per your last point. Past history shows that the more formal the request for information [as in the registration threads] the less interaction we get from members. It would be best to simplify and clarify in the hopes of avoiding "switch-off"

Regards your point 3) I'm all for it. In Zandar's thread all the information is continually updated in the first post. Excellent for information searchers. Zavikan did something similar with the OEM thread. Great format.

In relation to summarising the outcomes of really long technical threads, the most appropriate person would likely change from thread to thread depending on the field of knowledge so no need to make a rule about it. We would simply ask a contributor to summarise the points and have the other contributors sign off on the accuracy of the summary.

Let's get to it.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Very good ideas Trevor. Now that we [the mods & admins] have the ball we will run with it and trust everybody will play along.
Let's get to it.

Joe
Let's make point one mandatory in order to publish within the technical section.

The How-Too Documents link appearing at the top right, gives access to very little of what is in fact available and therefore requires attention.

There is now also some confusion between the technical and mod sections.

P.S. The cooling thread now surely provides evidence that any prospect of improvement is doomed.

PPS also now this one.

Quite a lot of sorting to get to.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 01-15-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
[/B]Jerry, Thats cause you are a noob and this is your first car!

Now donning Kevlar!

Just kidding big guy!

Sum things i'z unnerstands and sum thiings I don't!!

Actually, my 'calling' was Mopar, ( PRE LEE, Mopar) Back when a HEMI was not built by mitsubishi!

I have 'clearanced' a 426 Hemi that came from 'Petty's Yardsale', when he went Pontiac. We took it to a 502 cu 1,000+ hp, On pump gas!

It had (1) carb, 1150cfm, no bottle,no boost.
We built a 426 'wedge' that had 1,000 hp and ran 210 MPH, yet was 'tame' enough to go get a burger and fries in.

I moved into Subaru after the 'Muscle Cars' went away.
I still 'retain' some big block stuff to keep the air filled with the 'sound' of a by-gone era.

OT does all my Subaru repairs. I'm more geared up to work on my other 30 cars and trucks.

I agree with Joe and Trevor about the 'tech' and mod stuff being left as close to topic as possible. It is frustrating when you really want to find something and it is lost in BS.

My WHOLE focus with old cars is the 'social' aspects! I don't care if someone can beat me or not. I have had 3 vehicles 'judged' in all the shows that I have been to
over the last 35 years.
Car guys and gals are a breed that are there for ONE reason, to enjoy their old car.

I will stop now....

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 01-15-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
Sum things i'z unnerstands and sum thiings I don't!!

Actually, my 'calling' was Mopar, ( PRE LEE, Mopar) Back when a HEMI was not built by mitsubishi!

I have 'clearanced' a 426 Hemi that came from 'Petty's Yardsale', when he went Pontiac. We took it to a 502 cu 1,000+ hp, On pump gas!

It had (1) carb, 1150cfm, no bottle,no boost.
We built a 426 'wedge' that had 1,000 hp and ran 210 MPH, yet was 'tame' enough to go get a burger and fries in.

I moved into Subaru after the 'Muscle Cars' went away.
I still 'retain' some big block stuff to keep the air filled with the 'sound' of a by-gone era.

OT does all my Subaru repairs. I'm more geared up to work on my other 30 cars and trucks.

I agree with Joe and Trevor about the 'tech' and mod stuff being left as close to topic as possible. It is frustrating when you really want to find something and it is lost in BS.

My WHOLE focus with old cars is the 'social' aspects! I don't care if someone can beat me or not. I have had 3 vehicles 'judged' in all the shows that I have been to
over the last 35 years.
Car guys and gals are a breed that are there for ONE reason, to enjoy their old car.

I will stop now....
For a self confessed redneck Jerry you can so wax lyrical when you want to.

Guys [and gals] like you and so many others round here make it all worth while.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser

Quote:
For a self confessed redneck Jerry you can so wax lyrical when you want to.

Guys [and gals] like you and so many others round here make it all worth while.

Thanx!!

If it gets warm tomorrow and the rain stays away,(Like it is supposed to) I will be fireing up the 440 and pulling the 47 Dodge out of the garage for some 'pre-spring cleaning.
2 1/2 inch straight pipes on BOTH banks! BLATTT,BLATT!! cackle!! Mufflers are for hondas.

( I recorded the sound on my cell and set it as my 'ringtone'!)

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry