How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
The Molinator

Jerky Steering.. .

My power steering was getting grabby (starting to lock-up or freeze) when I would turn (especially when cold, but even after warm) .. . especially into a parking space (low engine {PS pump} RPM). I replaced the PS pump with a reman.. . and basically now have the same symptoms.. YIKES! [The steering wheel goes from smooth to very tight (oscillates between functioning and not turning!) and creates a possible crash (esp in parking lots) scenario because of the undependable function!

Does this mean it must be the Rack & Pinion unit ($645 from SubaruParts.com).. . Or could it be something else??? Is the Rack & Pinion often rebuilt by the mechanic?.. . Should I buy an (Autozone, Pep Boys) reman unit for $300 to $390? Can I do this myself "easily"?.. . Or is this one of those high-tech items I should leave to some good ($$$) tech?

Maybe this has something to do with the undiagnosed noise (previous thread) when I accelerate from a stop with the steering wheel turned (Creeking noise??). It was partly the Driveshaft hitting the sheet metal driveshaft cover (to keep exhaust heat away), but after that cover was removed (still is), it still makes a smaller creeking noise!

Please give any advice ???.. . THANKS !!!

I was gonna limit the advice to "cheap/easy fixes" because I'm getting tired of replacing the wrong parts.. . and especially the EXPENSIVE ONES (like the R & P).. . Ha! BUT.. I can't drive it much longer this way. It will curb my SVX. SO far, BTW, it has functioned well driving straight or mild turns. Just went on a trip (thot it was fixed!) 3 hours each way with the family (~ 300+ miles).

HELP???

P.S. Why are there 2 reman R & P's at the auto stores? They say, one has a solenoid (?). My SVX is an L, so does that mean it uses NO SOLENOID? {When working under my engine a while back, I noticed an unused female electrical plug (I believe it is on the driver-side and may be where the Oxygen Sensor plugs next to it (same wire harness). Someone said that might be for the R & P "wire" ??? How do I tell if I need a solenoid version?.. . and will it work OK without? [I think I don't have a solenoid R & P now.]}
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 12-07-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Jerky Steering.. .

I had a very similar problem with mine last winter and there was a very cheap easy fix.
On the left side of the engine there is a steering shaft running from inside the car. On the shaft there are 2 universal joints. Spray the crap out of them with your favourite lube (WD40 etc.) This solved my issue immediately.
There is also the small rubber o-ring on the bottom of the power steering pump which can wear out and let air into the system but since you replaced the pump the o-ring was probably replaced as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:37 AM

also check your belts are tight
Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If it is locking up as you say, I would check the universals first.

And for your question on the steering racks, yes there is a difference, the "top of the line" models (LS-L, LSi, etc) have speed sensitive steering while the lower models have "normal" power steering. Yours would be the "normal" power steering. Hope that helps
Old 12-08-2009, 01:50 PM
The Molinator

Thanks Guys!

1) I sprayed the universal steering joints. It did seem to help, but when stopped and turning the steering wheel back and forth slowly.. It would tend to stop turning ("lock up") when going side to side (?). I will check this out further!!! If it is this.. . then I should replace those U-joints, right? They are not serviceable, are they? [Sealed Grease?]

2) The belt is tight.. . But, it does squeek just a little. [Think it's because it is not working (the power steering system).. . not cuz the belt is loose (?).]

3) Yes, that helps! The non-electric rack is cheaper! If the problem persists, I will probably install a reman rack & pinion myself (then alignment).. for about $300 here.

Heh "Tom et al" .. . Let me know if you have a chinese Rack & Pinion for $100 like the axles!?.. . Ha!

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM

Registered SVX

There were guys on ebay who had listings for rebuilding the SVX r&p. If I remember correctly it was something like $134 plus shipping and you had to also send them your old one back. Don't know if its still on there at all.

Edit: just searched and didn't find anything. There was a used one of the type you need but they wanted $195 plus $25 shipping

Last edited by 1986nate; 12-08-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM

I just bought a rebuilt power steering rack for my 1992 LSL from A-1 driveshaft in Baltimore for $ 329.00. Lifetime warranty. Went in easily. Had to give them my core. They have locaions in other cities.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:29 PM
The Molinator

It still seems about the same after WD40 repeatedly. Almost sure now that I'll have to get a reman rack. Are the mounts for the rack made out of rubber? At SubaruParts.com they call them "adaptors". Are they mounts? I can't tell if the reman rack comes with new ones, but I doubt it! They are about $15 each.. . and the tie rod ends are $40 each. I guess I should order both parts. Do I need anything else?

Thanks, Jim

P.S. It's in the 30's here at night now.. . So, if you don't here from me, just come thaw me out in the Spring.. . I'll be in the garage, or right in front in the driveway.. . HeH!..Check THIS out.. . . [It's a Dummy!].. . http://us.mc817.mail.yahoo.com/mc/we...jsrand=3979116

Last edited by James Scott; 12-10-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: attempt to ADD photo.. . Help!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Hey Jim, have you tried removing the PS belt and driving around without steering assist? It would be helpful to see if this changes the symptoms any.

Also can you lift the front end end up on jackstands and play around with the wheel to see if it binds without power assist and the load of the wheels rubbing on the ground?

Id just be interested to see if this gives any more clues before you drop a lot of coin on all these new parts.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.