Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Post My New Sound System: Part 1 Custom Sub Enclosures

Ok, so I'm going to do a few threads detailing my work in installing my new sound system, lots of pictures and as idiot proofed as possible so that those who are not very mechanically/electrically/audio proficient or are just DIYers like myself can understand and possibly use these to help them in their projects.

So here we go!

My Sound System: Part 1 Custom Sub Enclosures

So, seeing as this is one of the more complicated parts of the system, I will be starting with the explanation of building my custom sub enclosures.

Step one: Planning
I first started by looking in the manual for the subs to see what volume I needed to have for the subs to sound their best. after figuring out that as well as the generic dimensions recommended for just a standard square box I took a measuring tape to my trunk and began to brainstorm and measure to kind of see what I was getting myself into and just how well the dimensions I needed would fit in the space allotted.

Turned out, a little tricky on the back sides of each as they aren't exactly square nor are they the same on either side (blame the gas tank on the USDM passengers side) So this in mind my dad and I began using cut pieces of news paper just doing a trial and error getting the generic base shape that would give us approximately 1 cubic foot of volume.

After many different changes and trials with the newspaper and calculations with basic trig/geometry we were able to determine what we felt would give us the closest to one cubic foot, and transferred each base design to poster board.

While transferring it to poster board we used several devices (compass, ruler etc) to make sure our curves and straight edges weren't crazy sloppy. After making these templates we took them to our half inch thick MDF (medium density fiber) board and I traced the templates onto the board.

Also while making the templates on the poster board we made a template for the two rings that would eventually stand as the mounting point for the subs. We got these measurements from using the template that kicker attaches to each sub's box and tracing that and then giving it a thickness of about one half inch (1/4 in more than is required to successfully mount the sub to it.) These were also transferred to the MDF.

Step 2: Framework
After designing the base frame and getting my ring sizes I did some math to figure out how I was going to design my enclosures. I tried to get the best overall volume based off what the manufacture said for my subs, and took some advice from people on here and added more volume, they should both be between 1.6-2 cubic feet. and no I won't do the calculus to figure exactly how much volume I have! lol

The framework portion consisted of cutting pieces of the mdf board to fit the heights at each section trying to follow the base plate the best I could and staying formed to the trunk. Also trying to go as high as I could for the most volume. I also cut a hole for each enclosure to be able to have a cup connector so I could run the wires and keep them inside and just disconnect the enclosure without taking the sub out every time. aka when I take her to the track.

Once all the pieces were measured cut and glued in for the back wall, I figured out at what angle I wanted the subs to sit. I placed them slightly protruding from the edge so it would create more volume. Once that was deturmined I cut some pillar supports and one horizontal support per ring to keep the ring in position.

Step 3: Sheeting the framework

Next step was covering the mdf frame with fleece to give it it's shape. This was accomplished by draping the fabric over the enclosure and starting with one end, stapling it to the bottom of the base then pulling it tightly across the frame. Then sides had to be slit, trimmed, and formed around the shape pulling tight across and gluing the fleece to the frame on the sides and stapling the bottoms.

Step 4: Fiberglassing

Once both are done I started on one enclosure at a time, according to the instructions I recieved the coats are to be as follows:

One coat of resin, 8 coats of fiber matting and resin

they are to be broken up into
1. one coat of resin(except the center of the ring), let it dry, cut out the hole (or if you did it like me and do holes for the cups cut those out too)
2. coat with matting and resin x4, let it dry
3. repeat step 2
4. Sand

However, I being a newbie at fiberglassing, had a lot of issues and ended up with 3 super thick coats that should suffice.

Step 5: Body Filler Case

not there yet I'll let ya know how it goes!

Last edited by Johnybeas; 11-09-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 08-01-2009, 12:07 AM

Registered SVX
Re: My New Sound System: Part 1 Custom Sub Enclosures

"Approximately 1 cubic foot of volume." I presume not vented.

What size speakers are you using. This is comparable with putting solid shocks on the car, if you get my drift. You will be nearly completely damping the movement of the speaker cones and will have to feed them with very large servings of watts! Booooom boxes indeed.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

They are sealed yes. For sealed enclosure kicker suggests 1 cubic foot of volume for a sealed enclosure for the CVR12's, which is what I have. After doing the math the enclosures will come out to be just slightly larger than one cubic foot.

We did this because it is not going to be exactly square or rectangular. so based on the dimensions we have on the base, we gave it 12 inches high all the way through, this left a small margin for the slight curvature that the enclosures will have, so that we can get as close to 1 cubic foot as possible without going under it and not allowing the subs enough air to play with.
The subs will face inward and slightly forward and tilted back at about a 10 degree pitch.

I am just finishing up some work sanding the pieces we cut today as well as figuring out how I'm going to run the wires for the enclosures. I have taken quite a few pictures that I will post in the next hour as well as a few more things I came across while doing what I did today.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
They are sealed yes. For sealed enclosure kicker suggests 1 cubic foot of volume for a sealed enclosure for the CVR12's, which is what I have. After doing the math the enclosures will come out to be just slightly larger than one cubic foot.

We did this because it is not going to be exactly square or rectangular. so based on the dimensions we have on the base, we gave it 12 inches high all the way through, this left a small margin for the slight curvature that the enclosures will have, so that we can get as close to 1 cubic foot as possible without going under it and not allowing the subs enough air to play with.
The subs will face inward and slightly forward and tilted back at about a 10 degree pitch.

I am just finishing up some work sanding the pieces we cut today as well as figuring out how I'm going to run the wires for the enclosures. I have taken quite a few pictures that I will post in the next hour as well as a few more things I came across while doing what I did today.
Do yourself a favor and vent it. Trust me... I'll post a pic of my 12" sub. You should have seen it with the two twelves. I couldn't drive around was too loud, had the neighbor from 4 houses down complain about shaking stuff in his house. FWIW I also have a kicker CVR12. Also what amp do you plan on using? I'd suggest a kicker amp as mixing amps and subs doesn't always go well. Sorry for short and crappy response very tired been a 12hr work day.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Get a decent head unit with a high/mid/low and sub output level in it or and equilizer. I only have a 250w TMA amp with a mtx jackhammer in a crappy box now. It sounded good but it's wayyy better with my new headunit that does exactly what I described above. It's a sony an cost about $80 and its black with red lights
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 PM

Registered SVX

Much too small even vented. Do some research using Google. Stay away from magazine stuff and advertising. Get to understand the relationship between the sound waves, front and rear, which is the vital aspect in designing any enclosure, or mounting a speaker. The rear wave in effect, partly but drastically cancels the front, particularly at low frequencies. Not so important consideration in respect of a tweeter.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

The subs will be powere by a thousand watt rockford fosgate mono channel amp each enlosure will have between 1 and 1.6 cubic feet and one sub in each enclosure, the head unit is a pioneer avic f900bt I will also have alpine type s speakers for both the 6.5s and 6x9s all powered by a 4 channel 650 watt amp also rockford fosgate
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

nvm.......

Last edited by 1986nate; 08-04-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

hehe my system is gonna be baller woot woot!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Just got all the wires run, for both amps and speakers installed. still trying to figure out how to mount the sub amp where I want it, work on enclosures will continue soon.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Enclosures are getting closer to 2 cubic feet I'm finding cool ways around stuff, to gain a bit here and there. The inner framing is mostly done all I have left is to cut the support bars for the rings to hold the subs get the rings secure then ill cover it with fleace and get started on the resin. Sub amp is in and cleanly wired sitting level and looks great. I promise ill get pics up first of next week. : )

tomorrow... my birthday : ) nickleback hinder papa roach and saving able! Woot!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

long overdue update...

Fiberglass resin sucks! hahaha That stuff is sooooo messy and so hard to work with. I put the initial coat on one of them by myself a week or two ago and decided I was gonna wait for some extra hands to be around to do it. It turned out pretty well so far but was definitely a pain, and my advice is:

plan plan plan plan before you start.

I thought I had it planned pretty well, I had a sheet of plastic underneath the enclosures on a table outside all my materials, brush resin hardener container to put some resin in to use with brush to put it on.

One thing I forgot was a solvent. That stuff started to harden on the brush, I don't know If I wasn't supposed to mix the hardener in with the resin on this first coat or what, since I'm using it differently than just putting it on the car, or with the netting but it turned my brush rock solid about half way through coating the enclosure. It's supposed to harden in two hours, but I swear I was only out there for a 15 minutes and my brush was rock hard!

I ended up finishing it and getting the rest of it on just fine, it was just very difficult it kept wanting to pull the fabric from the mdf where it was glued and stapled.

Definitely, this time I will have multiple brushes and a solvent near by because cleaning up or even trying to get away from the project was a mess I ended up getting resin all over my hands after I was trying to clean up, my gloves were so sticky they stuck together and are no longer usable. the brush was nasty and ruined, but thank god for that plastic sheet I laid down. That was a huge help in keeping things from getting all over everything.

but I'm uploading pictures now so you can see what I've done.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:01 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

Great job man!! can't wait to see the pics, ya you should mix the resin and the hardener in the same cup and then brush it on! oh ya that shizle get's sticky fast. some thinner will help with the brush inbetween coats. if you need some help sometime let me know. you can paint it with my HVLP if you want to paint it.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

updated steps I'm finishing uploading current pics and will post today I know I say that every time but they are really gonna be posted today lol