Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Registered SVX
Re: RIP

OMG! 3500 for killing an SVX?? Thats what i just paid to buy mine... and i purchased a car that needs a new engine,leather, paint and so on... Come on!! No money is enough to kill this kind of car. What a stupid law
Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSvx View Post
What a stupid law
it isn't a law...it is an offer to "purchase" your old car. Nobody is forcing anyone to do this.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:12 PM

It's this simple.

**** the laws. They're rarely if ever enforced. Pull your engine and use it for a coffee table or something, hell I don't know. If I ever get pulled over in my XT6 and a cop looks under it I'd probably go to jail. lol...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I am not sure about this but considering it is a federal program the laws around it are probably going to be enforced under federal law... I would rather not be part of a federal offense over an engine or trans.

BTW worste that can happen to you is you get your car impounded

Tom
Old 07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I am not sure about this but considering it is a federal program the laws around it are probably going to be enforced under federal law... I would rather not be part of a federal offense over an engine or trans.

Tom
My mom opens my mail back home..... given that its a federal offense, should I have her incarcerated or just form my own lynch mob ?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
My mom opens my mail back home..... given that its a federal offense, should I have her incarcerated or just form my own lynch mob ?
Why is this the typical kind of response to a totally serious comment?

Tom
Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
it isn't a law...it is an offer to "purchase" your old car. Nobody is forcing anyone to do this.
What a stupid offer to "purchase" your old car ...
Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Why is this the typical kind of response to a totally serious comment?

Tom
Maybe to lighten the mood a little bit..... it seems some folks take life wayyy too seriously.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Maybe to lighten the mood a little bit..... it seems some folks take life wayyy too seriously.
It is a serious discussion about a serious government program and its potential consequences. I don't see where it is really appropriate

Tom
Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

Some thoughts:
No question this was done to help the big 3. Problem is more Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus and Kias will be sold as a result of this than Fords, Chevy's and Chryslers. More American money will be transferred to Japan. Americans will go further into debt just when they should be saving their money.

It's always cheaper to put a couple thousand dollars into your car than $20,000 for a new one.

Local service stations will suffer because these older cars will be removed from the road.

Young kids looking for a cheap car will have to pay more that $3,500 to own a clunker.

More people will be losing these new cars due to bankruptcy after they lose their jobs.

Used cars of all makes will go up in price because it will be better to junk them than sell them for $1,000-$2,0000.

More cars will go to the dump and fill up our landfills.

Rare cars like ours will become rarer.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie59 View Post
Some thoughts:
No question this was done to help the big 3. Problem is more Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus and Kias will be sold as a result of this than Fords, Chevy's and Chryslers. More American money will be transferred to Japan. Americans will go further into debt just when they should be saving their money.

It's always cheaper to put a couple thousand dollars into your car than $20,000 for a new one.

Local service stations will suffer because these older cars will be removed from the road.

Young kids looking for a cheap car will have to pay more that $3,500 to own a clunker.

More people will be losing these new cars due to bankruptcy after they lose their jobs.

Used cars of all makes will go up in price because it will be better to junk them than sell them for $1,000-$2,0000.

More cars will go to the dump and fill up our landfills.

Rare cars like ours will become rarer.
Yep!

Yesterday I heard about a 460V8 F250 4WD being bought AT THE CRUSHER!!!!!!!!
A working rough truck, saved at the last minute for $400.00-$500.00.
for those of you who are not familiar with that engine,,, it's not one to crush!

Ya like torque??? 460!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Until the allotted money runs out....
So pay your tax bill early and often!

Keep this Obamanation going!

STRAIGHT TO HELL!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Theres a bunch of different reasons for doing this. It may help out the Big 3 a little, but more over it helps our entire country. Thats been the entire point of every stimulus both presidents tried, to get people spending money again. People are afraid they'll lose their jobs, so they start saving, but saving money does nothing to help our economy, its hurting it severely. This is an incentive for people to pump thousands back into the economic machine they otherwise wouldn't have, help out auto makers, save some jobs, hopefully lower our unemployment rate at some point which is about to hit 10%, and in return you get a significant amout of money off a brand new car that not only saves you money on gas but will probably help out the enviroment a little at the same time.

The only downsides are the cost and the possibility of crushing some rare cars like ours, but if you know what you've got then you won't crush and the cost is a drop in the bucket compaired to the 900 billion already invested in the recovery, and it has a more direct benefit to the citizens and not some stengy governers standing between you and economic improvement while they cheat on their wives with girls from Argentia.l
Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
Theres a bunch of different reasons for doing this. It may help out the Big 3 a little, but more over it helps our entire country. Thats been the entire point of every stimulus both presidents tried, to get people spending money again.
Are you kidding? BOTH HAVE, or ARE failing!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
People are afraid they'll lose their jobs, so they start saving, but saving money does nothing to help our economy, its hurting it severely.
PEOPLE ARE LOSING JOBS. Not just afraid of it. Unemployment has gone from statistically full employment at 5%, to nearly 10%, and probably will break that line nationally this year. Some places are experiencing closer to 15-16% unemployment, and much more UNDER-employment.

I haven't gotten a cost of living increase in my salary in three years. Do you honestly think I am going to quit my job over that right now?

This country had a negative saving rate, on average for the last decade or longer, that has just clamped down within the last 12 months, because people have retracted, and can no longer afford to live beyond their means.

The US GOVERNMENT is however, living on debt, deficit, and self-monetization, and bankrupting our country, and destroying the future of the US Dollar. You think that is good, and saving is bad?

Quote:
This is an incentive for people to pump thousands back into the economic machine they otherwise wouldn't have, help out auto makers, save some jobs, hopefully lower our unemployment rate at some point which is about to hit 10%, and in return you get a significant amout of money off a brand new car that not only saves you money on gas but will probably help out the enviroment a little at the same time.
PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THE THOUSANDS TO PUMP BACK IN. The government is stealing from Peter, his children, and his un-born grandchildren, to pay paul to trash his car, and pay for his sub-prime mortgage that he couldn't afford to begin with either.

More importantly, they are funneling money to wall street, ACORN, and other insanity. At this point, they are having a fire-sale on money, and the people in connected positions are profit taking before another economy crash. This is a bear market rally, none of the economic fundamentals make sense for a bull run right now, and people are taking the money they can get, from government, or anywhere else, while they still can.

This bullcrap cash for clunkers is a vote-buying excercise. so that the next time you need bail out, from your over-extended mortgage, and the new car the government enticed you to buy, when you could only afford the clunker before, the government can bail you out... and all it will cost is your freedom.

Quote:
The only downsides are the cost and the possibility of crushing some rare cars like ours, but if you know what you've got then you won't crush and the cost is a drop in the bucket compaired to the 900 billion already invested in the recovery, and it has a more direct benefit to the citizens and not some stengy governers standing between you and economic improvement while they cheat on their wives with girls from Argentia.l
There are no up-sides, and I have been talking about crushing rare cars ad infinitum already.

Pushing more drops of fiscal irresponsibility into an already full deficit bucket, doesn't make either one the right thing to do, or to have done in the past.

Read this VERY CAREFULLY:

YOU CANNOT EVER BORROW AND SPEND YOUR WAY OUT OF DEBT. NEVER.

And whining about a moron governor doesn't make a whit's worth of difference, and is fairly immaterial.

If you want to point fingers... why not point fingers at the stimulus bill that was written by, and directly benefits SEIU, ACORN, and a lot of professional political agitators, rather than hard working americans KEEPING THE MONEY THEY EARN. That includes regular-joe union workers paying dues to those thugs, instead of keeping their money.

You cannot borrow your life on credit cards, and and then even moreso when you are bankrupt.

The government can't either. They can monetize all the debt they want, and all they will serve to do is FURTHER RUIN the economy, and destroy the country. They can only get BIGGER, and the bigger they are, the harder they WILL fall.

The ONLY remedy is responsibility. deficit spending, personally, or as a government, is the height of irresponsibility.

Neither the Ds nor the Rs are responsible. The ONLY people talking about responsibility are conservatives like me, and it seems like the rest of you have deafened your own ears. So prepare to reap your own whirlwind.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 07-29-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
It is a serious discussion about a serious government program and its potential consequences. I don't see where it is really appropriate

Tom
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51012

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50808

Ok, no dropping the occasional joke in any of the three open discussions regarding Cash for Clunkers.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 07-29-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Better?