SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2002, 05:32 PM
Ticallion

Suspension knock... suggestions?

Hey guys,
My front end makes a knocking sound every time i go over a bump. It seems as though its coming more from the drivers side. any ideas as to what it might be? what should i check?
Thanks
-Ross
Old 07-26-2002, 08:34 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
One possible thing to check is the sway/stabilizer bar link. Mine were worn out when I got my car.

the part I'm referring to is #14 on the following page:

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=200-A
Old 07-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
If you press on the brakes does it go away? The lack of shims in careless brake jobs can result in a knock on every bump.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Ticallion

Thanks for the replys, guys. (no rhyming intentional)
I'll check out the bar sometime tomorrow. With regards to the brakes, no, I don't think it goes away when i press the brakes, however, i was never on the lookout for that, so it might be.

Another thing about the brakes. One of the rear rotors, i believe, is warped. When braking, once i hit the speed of about 70-65km/h, the rear end vibrates, but only during that time. As well, a tapping noise is sometimes heard when braking at slow speeds... like the sound a twig would make if inserted into a bicycle wheel as it is slowing down, however less loud, and less frequent.
All these are just noises... i don't know if they're something to worry about... suggestions?
Thanks for putting up with me!
Have a good night!
Old 07-29-2002, 04:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
One possible thing to check is the sway/stabilizer bar link. Mine were worn out when I got my car.

How can you tell if these are 'worn out?'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-29-2002, 07:12 PM

<<My front end makes a knocking sound every time i go over a bump. any ideas as to what it might be? >>

My guess its the strut mount.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:44 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Ditto

Driverside strut on low speed bumps (I'm sure I just can hear it at speed). Just had my Konis put in and didn't change a thing however, the shop said my mount looks fine. Maybe I'll try the brake thing since I haven't had shims since I got her.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:07 AM
red95svx

My front end makes noises over bumps too. The dealer said that I had some worn bushings, but that they are not worn enough to need replacing.........so I just live with it. I also have a tapping sound coming from the wheels that you can hear when driving slow. I have not figured that one out yet.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 08-08-2002 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:59 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

How can you tell if these are 'worn out?'
I didn't do the diagnosis but I assume with the tire off you can grab it and see if you can get it to make any sort of noise. You can do the same with the tire when it's off the ground (shake it side to side and top to bottom to try to cause noise in the suspension).
Old 08-07-2002, 01:43 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

How bad is the knock? If it is there just over the small bumps it is okay. Or it may be okay. The rubber bushings pinch the heck out the sway bar. They pinch it so much that they stick to the bar. When the car moves up or down it resists sliding and then snaps loose. Then you can hear and feel and see the top of the strut snap.

If this is the problem you are having take the bushings out to check and see if the noise goes away. Push down on the car to check, don't drive it. If it does go away it is you problem. If not it will make it easier to find a bad ball joint.

A bad ball joint is found by raising the tire off the ground and then with a small pry bar, push the knuckle away from the lower control arm. If it moves then the BJ is bad. The gap bewteen the lower arm and knuckle will increase when pried. Too much play in the joint.

Take off the link to the sway bar and check it for play. If it ain't got play it is okay.

At least then you will know all the parts are safe.

Then lubricate the rubber bushings and put them back in. It will last about a day before the noise comes back

The rubber bushing is a very strong friction damper. It is part of the ride. Don't drive under 60 mph and you won't notice it.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Lowered SVX

i really think it is bad brake hardware.

i ordered new front pads from 1stsubaruparts.com and they came with new hardware kits. i will let you guys know if it works for me.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-07-2002, 10:33 PM

front end knock

yea mine does it also. I am going to check it out soon (whenever I get done working on all the other teachers cars). If I had to guess what it was based on the sound only I would say that it is a ball joint. I will reply back if I remember to!
Old 08-08-2002, 06:50 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
I also have a tapping sound coming from the wheels that you can here when driving slow. I have not figured that one out yet.

Dave
That's the center caps moving around as the wheels spin. Scared me too at first.

-Mike
Old 08-08-2002, 07:41 AM
red95svx

center caps moving

That's what the noise is?? Thanks Mike. It's been annoying me for a while now, and I always forget to ask the dealer when I bring it in!

Dave
Old 08-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm

Another area you might want to check is the bolts #19 and #20, for tightness. I have found that in a '94 FWD and a '97, these bolts become loose due to the compression of the rubber gromlets (sic). With an impact wrench I have tightened them as many as two complete turns. BTW, it makes one heck of a difference in the way the car feels / handles - much more of a solid feel.

CAUTION: You have the same kind of set up in the rear (except with nuts, not bolts), however, be careful you don't "overtighten" front or rear, because you can wring off the bolt when it will not tighten any more due to running out of threads.

Check the tightness of all suspension parts.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx