SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
metallic clunk/exhaust noise

when I hit bumps i hear this metallic clunk comming from the front of the car. Where should I be looking for an issue.

Also, you know that buzz that it seems like all svxes have that comes from the exhaust? yeah mine does that too...so what needs fixed or welded or ????

I am trying to fine tune a few things here...any help would be most appreciated.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: metallic clunk/exhaust noise

Matt,

The exhaust noise could be a rattling heat shield or a bad resonator (probably not as bad as Dave's ). Try tapping on the exhaust to see if you can find the noise. The heat shields usually come loose on the precat pipes and the center resonator is usually the one that goes bad (behind the 2to 1 cat).

As for the clunk, does it not clunk when you are on the brakes?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

dave's=

I don't think it is a heat shield..been there and done that years ago on other subarus. So you think it is not the 2 into 1 thing but the 1 in and 1 out that is back from it but before the muffler? Can i eliminate that thing?

the metallic sound isn't during braking it is when i hit pot holes, expansion strips and things like that. sway bar bushings? I was under the passinger side on saturday but i failed to look at the driverside (I'm an idiot)
Old 04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Matt, the resonator (that box right before the muffler) was deleted on my car and it definitely makes the car sound a little different. According to OT, the resonator does serve a slight purpose in that in slows down the exhaust that goes into the muffler. So, if you're going to delete it, don't just put a pipe there - replace it with another resonator.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Matt, the resonator (that box right before the muffler) was deleted on my car and it definitely makes the car sound a little different. According to OT, the resonator does serve a slight purpose in that in slows down the exhaust that goes into the muffler. So, if you're going to delete it, don't just put a pipe there - replace it with another resonator.
There is a magnaflow resonator which can be swapped in the place of the OEM unit, and is a quality economical replacement.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:54 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
There is a magnaflow resonator which can be swapped in the place of the OEM unit, and is a quality economical replacement.
OT had suggested such a replacement, but we decided that putting it on there would be a pretty big hassle due to the pipe that was already there.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 PM

My car makes the same clunking sound and I've narrowed it down to my caliper slides being worn, and possibly something loose in the steering linkage somewhere. I'm pretty sure the caliper slides are most of the problem though, and I've heard its not an uncommon problem with the SVX.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

well I talked to my garage man today and he said the resonator can be deleted and it will still pass inspection so I have the choice to either get a clean piece of pipe put in or get another one put in its place. I have a local exhaust shop that does good work so I guess I have to go see them next.

The metallic clunk is comming from the driver side of the car. The reason I said sway bar is b/c if I hit an expansion joint with just the right side of the car I can still hear whatever clang on the left side of the car. Tomorrow I am going to pull it in to the garage and look a little more. I can say that it is not brake dependant. It happens if they are on or off.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Mine made that same clanking on expansion joints when I first bought it. It was the drivers side swaybar end link. The ball had popped right out of the socket and was clanging around.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

Mine makes this same noise, so I'll be watching this with great interest!

It's sort of a rattling clunk when you hit a big enough bump. I've had mine apart, for the trans last year, I never saw anything loose. BTW it did it before I took things apart. Just in case, I "nut & bolted" everything before I put the wheels back on.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.