Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM

Rearend noises...

Taking sharp turns going around full lock on the steering wheel...Like backing out of a parking spot,or taking a sharp slow corner...Feels like a clunking thumping sound/feeling....Just put in along with the matching Legasy trans.Limited slip rearend is what I was told by the previouse owner....Drives perfect, straight....He keeps telling me it`s a solinoid or code in the trans. making it do that.....
Old 01-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Re: Rearend noises...

Hi there Stewertracing... not your week I see.
Did you get the other problems sorted?
This sounds like the clutch that applies the AWD is being kept on all the time, when it should be releasing every few milliseconds to allow a bit of slip in sharp turns.
There are two things to do to diagnose it.
First get the trouble codes out of the transmission. It is a simple process using the key and gearshift. Get old and current codes. Then clear the codes,(another simple process), then go for a test drive trying to get all driving conditions included and recheck for trouble codes. That is all the first step.
Second step is to put a fuse in under the bonnet and see if the problem goes away. The fuse is near the brake booster, well it is in New Zealand anyway. It is described in the owners manual as a "two wheel drive switch".
Put the fuse in and go to the parking lot and see if the problem is "cured".
Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 PM

Hello,
Yes I did take care of some of the other probs....Just went out and did the test and got a #32, and #21, 32 speed sensor #1 and 21 is ATF sensor.....What you describe sounds right....Is the fuse your talking about turn on the 4wd light on the dash???? Dark out right now, but I`m looking through this manual the guy made up for me That I bought this car from....I`ll see if it`ll tell me anything about THESE codes now,lol....
On the other problem, I DID find a big pin connector not pushed all the way together....It straightened it out a lot, but sometimes the trans seems like it can`t make up it`s mind what gear she wants to be it....
Thanks ,any help is greatly appreciated....
Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

The light that turns on is FWD, front wheel drive, when the fuse is inserted.
This disables the rear drive to diagnose if the rear part of the AWD system is the problem.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
The light that turns on is FWD, front wheel drive, when the fuse is inserted.
This disables the rear drive to diagnose if the rear part of the AWD system is the problem.
AAAH, ok....So that will tell me if the rearend itself if messed up or the drieline...I meant AWD light....
AND I just found the part about the temp sensor, and is doing the things that it says it`s supposed to do when that is not working right....
Getting there slowly,LOL....
Paul...

The book says do not drive with this AWD is activated...Or damage will happen...
Old 01-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartracing View Post
AAAH, ok....So that will tell me if the rearend itself if messed up or the drieline...I meant AWD light....
AND I just found the part about the temp sensor, and is doing the things that it says it`s supposed to do when that is not working right....
Getting there slowly,LOL....
Paul...

The book says do not drive with this AWD is activated...Or damage will happen...
Don't go spinning the front wheels, and you will be OK.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Don't go spinning the front wheels, and you will be OK.

Harvey.
So basically just go out and take a corner and listen to see if it makes the noise then change it back.....Cool..That will trouble shoot that one....
Then the ATF coolant sensor....Just ohm check it???
Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Yes, put the fuse in when you get to the parking lot if you are worried about it. It's quite safe though.
If the fuse cures your thump then we know it is the AWD thumping and can beguin diagnosing that as the problem.
If the fuse does not cure the thump then we need to try and discover whether the thump is something other than the trans, or, a trans related fault, such as the electrical controls to the trans.

Are you sure all these problems aren't cause by that plug that was loose? Have you checked that there are no bent pins or pins slipping backwards out of contact? That all pins have continuity from one plug to the other?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1call View Post
Yes, put the fuse in when you get to the parking lot if you are worried about it. It's quite safe though.
If the fuse cures your thump then we know it is the AWD thumping and can beguin diagnosing that as the problem.
If the fuse does not cure the thump then we need to try and discover whether the thump is something other than the trans, or, a trans related fault, such as the electrical controls to the trans.

Are you sure all these problems aren't cause by that plug that was loose? Have you checked that there are no bent pins or pins slipping backwards out of contact? That all pins have continuity from one plug to the other?
Yes ,Because the connection wasn`t even close to being in contact with anything,Just kinda sitting there lookin like it was together....No more shift solinoid#3 code...Just the codes I have noted here....#21 an #32... ABS test is just showing a left rear sensor problem...Engine codes are still EGR and o2 sensor #2 left side...Trying to catch up to them little by little...
Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM

Well I put the fuse in the AWD spot to dis-engage the sys.... That was it, the rearend wasn`t making the noise that way....
Checked for codes again and came up with #21 ATF SENSOR & #32 VEH. SPEED SENS.....Does either one of these codes seem like they would cause the symptons I`m having with the rearend....
I am having problems with it wanting to shift at different rpm`s at times and not locking up too....Soo time to replace those 2 sensors at the least...
Let me know what ya think...
P....
Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM

You need to clear your trouble codes after every repair.
Have you cleared them since finding the connector loose?

The thump that has gone away now... we might need to diagose more yet. Check and change if faulty those other two things, then seel if the thump goes away.
The test we did proves that all the mechanical parts are ok. The trouble could all be caused by that speed sensor... or wiring.

Check the sensors as per the book if you can, do a ohms test at minimum before replacing them. I'd do the speed sensor first too, It's easier to get at and could cause excessive heat. The heat will not cause a speed sensor code though.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
You need to clear your trouble codes after every repair.
Have you cleared them since finding the connector loose?

The thump that has gone away now... we might need to diagose more yet. Check and change if faulty those other two things, then seel if the thump goes away.
The test we did proves that all the mechanical parts are ok. The trouble could all be caused by that speed sensor... or wiring.

Check the sensors as per the book if you can, do a ohms test at minimum before replacing them. I'd do the speed sensor first too, It's easier to get at and could cause excessive heat. The heat will not cause a speed sensor code though.
The way my book says to clear codes it to put the 2 wires into the connection down by the kick panel left side....Or does that just clear ECU codes....My manual doesn`t tell me about the TCU code clearing procedure....
I`m glad that the rearend is ok mechanically, it was just installed a couple mnths ago...No pic. of where the speed sensor is in my book, just what it looks like....THanks for your patience,
P....
Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM

There are some manuals here... http://cid-4ca3c3459aaa7f7f.skydrive...e.aspx/.Public Have a look in the first of the two
"4EAT-II" manuals. Right near the end it describes several ways of cleaing the codes for various models. If all else fails you could pull a battery lead... You know the radio code right?

Those other manuals will show you where the speed sensor is. Book 7 is for a 97 Impreza.

Last edited by log1call; 01-27-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
There are some manuals here... http://cid-4ca3c3459aaa7f7f.skydrive...e.aspx/.Public Have a look in the first of the two
"4EAT-II" manuals. Right near the end it describes several ways of cleaing the codes for various models. If all else fails you could pull a battery lead... You know the radio code right?

Those other manuals will show you where the speed sensor is. Book 7 is for a 97 Impreza.
Thanks.....
Radio code huh????Never heard of such a thing...
Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

You can.clear the TCU codes by pulling fuse No.14, in the fuse box under the dash, for 1 minute.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.