How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Coolant leaking from front and back of oil pan

Guys, I've only had my SVX since November last year, I really love it, and it sucks that I found coolant dribbling fron under the engine today. Upon closer inspection I've noticed that it was leaking from the left and right (front ) and rear of the oil pan. It leaks when the engine is on. No overheating issues (yet), No green stuff in the oil, and vice versa in the reservoir. Could this be a head gasket failure? How much $$$(approx) am I going to fork over for this one? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Re: Coolant leaking from front and back of oil pan

No green in the oil is good.

Put some dye in the coolant and go from there. Should help you spot it. Then do an oil change and check it. Also you can pull your exhaust off near the manifold, if its a bad head gasket then odds are you'll have the oil/coolant mixture in the exhaust.

Make sure it's not dripping out of a normal hose/the coolant resivoir, and just running down and LOOKS like it coming from the oil pan.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 01-23-2009, 04:46 PM

If it's dribbling out and the car is running fine then I would very much doubt it will be a head gasket that is leaking the water. Not to say that loosing water couldn't cause the gaskets to go... if you are not careful.

Since it's a good sized leak it should be fairly easy to locate using a mechanics favourite tool... eyes. Might need a mirror and torch to make the looking a little easier.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

When the waterpump gasket leaks it likes to run down behind the timing belt covers and run around the lip of the oil pan. I've seen that happen on two of mine...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the info. The car runs/ drives ok. But I'm definitely dropping it off this weekend or monday to be repaired. Hopefully it's something minor.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1call View Post
If it's dribbling out and the car is running fine then I would very much doubt it will be a head gasket that is leaking the water. Not to say that loosing water couldn't cause the gaskets to go... if you are not careful.

Since it's a good sized leak it should be fairly easy to locate using a mechanics favourite tool... eyes. Might need a mirror and torch to make the looking a little easier.
I did go underneath it, I used 2 ramps to elevate the front wheels and used a creeper. With a flashlight, I've noticed that coolant was forming around the lip of the oil pan and was dripping from the front and rear. As much as I can- the first thing I checked were the hoses, inlet, outlet and from the reservoir. When I turn the engine off it stops leaking/ dripping.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 PM

Registered SVX

As always, diffacult to diagnose over the net. But water pump is my vote as well, especially if it's mainly on the drivers side front. That's how I got my SVX, my buddy had it parked for like a year or more because he thought it was the head gasket leaking externally. After filling it up with coolant (should have used water to diagnose), seeing the general area it was coming from, then looking at the subaru epc pictures of the cooling system, I negotiated the purchase. Replaced W/P and T-belt/pulleys, and life is good (at least with that issue). Hopefully this is all that is wrong with yours, as well.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I went underneath it again and I suspect the water pump as well. All the hoses are fine.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 AM

Update: I dropped it off this weekend, It's at the shop still, waiting on the water pump (on order) They confirmed it was the water pump. They told me it makes sense to do the timing belt as well, and I agreed. I was just glad it's not the head gasket.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 AM

Update: Got the car back last night, Working fine so far. They've replaced the timing belt, cam and crankshaft seals, T-stat,water pump & gasket. I'm out 1000 bucks. I'm just gald to have my car back
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Glad all is well. It was good advice to do the timing belt and seals while it was in for the water pump service.

Tom