Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Registered Loser

JDM steering wheel controls on Aus spec?

Hey guys, on it's way over is a JDM steering wheel with on/off, vol control and all the rest of the steering wheel buttons. The main reason I'm getting it is because mine is in bad shape.

1 - Does anyone know if there is already wiring from the headunit/stereo over to the steering column so that I can hook up the controls? Please say YES!!

2 - I can also get my hands on the JDM 12 stacker and same goes, does anyone know if there is wiring from the headunit that runs all the way to the boot of the car for the stacker? I've seen some wiring I just can't tell whether it's for the tail lights or what not. Please say YES!!

Maybe I'm wrong but from memory the JDM spec doesn't have a cd player up front and uses only the boot player. Using the Aussie stereo headunit, I'm not sure if there are even "disc changing" buttons I can't remember.

Anybody have any ideas or answers???
Old 07-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Phil & Belha

Re: JDM steering wheel controls on Aus spec?

I don't know if the wire(s) from the steering column are there.

The wires from the radio cage to the boot for the 12-disc should be there, but the plugs at the end may be wrong.

If your Aussie stereo is like the UK one then it will have disc changing buttons, if it is like the JDM one then it needs an extra unit underneath.

The steering wheel controls are meant to be used with a Panasonic P411 radio cassette. The JDM car has a P611 CD controller in the slot underneath the P411 and it links back to the CD changer in the boot.

The JDM changer DOES work with the UK type radio cassette (can't remember the model number) because that has a built in CD controller. But the plugs are different so you have to be a bit creative with the wiring. I don't know if the steering controls work with the UK type radio cassette.

I'm fairly sure the Subaru units are compatible with all the panasonic stuff of that era, if you can figure out the wiring. If you get stuck I have some pinouts somewhere from when I looked at it before.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 07-01-2008, 01:08 PM

Cool Re: JDM steering wheel controls on Aus spec?

There is a guy called Peter here in Auckland - who has 3 SVXs "in pieces" - he has 2 JDM models & 1 NZ spec model, I happen to know that he has JDM steering wheel with stereo controls in the middle area - + he will have head unit & CD stacker with wiring - on www.trademe.co.nz his user name is RACERX4 - flick him an email, very helpful person.

See following link to get his details - look for "side mirror"

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ess#post448090

Steve in Auckland, NZ
Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I've installed one in my Yellow USDM SVX, and the good news is the wiring from the base of the column to the Stereo is there....but you will need the clock spring (wiring in the colume) from the car the steering wheel came off of, as it is completely different than the airbag equiped one....as a matter of fact the BEST thing you could do, is get the whole steering column...as it would be easier...
But you can retro fit the clock spring into airbag one (I did) but the next problem is the USDM stereo does not work with the buttons.....so I had to get a JDM head unit....which works...but in Japan they run different frequencies than everywhere else in the world...so I then had to get a Freq. convertor to make the radio pick up local stations.....all in all I messed with it for about 3 years before I got it all to working.....but now I have something that very few US owners have....

Now your SVXs radio may work with the buttone, no way for me to know...
But you will HAVE to have the original clock Spring wiring harness section....

Hope this has been helpful info...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-02-2008, 03:35 AM
Registered Loser

It's actually not the newer steering wheel with the airbag, it's the exact same steering wheel (92 model) that I have just with steering wheels controls along the bottom. Maybe I'll just have to wait n see, thanks a lot for the info though

Jordan.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled8.bmp (791.1 KB, 105 views)
Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSVX View Post
It's actually not the newer steering wheel with the airbag, it's the exact same steering wheel (92 model) that I have just with steering wheels controls along the bottom. Maybe I'll just have to wait n see, thanks a lot for the info though

Jordan.

If you have a non-airbag steering wheel it might be as simple as bolting it on....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"