How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-17-2002, 10:42 AM
Lowered SVX

my list is weak.

1990 Chevrolet Corsica and a 1989 Toyota Tercel.

Current cars in my stable include my SVX, 2000 GTI 1.8L Turbo, and a 1988 Conquest TSI (will receive a Top End Performance Street Engine in September).
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-17-2002, 08:54 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
My last car was a '91 Legacy sedan, FWD. Nice little car but the SVX is SOOOOO much better.

Back to the origin of this thread, we (hubby & I) have a simple but yet unmentioned idea of the origination of the "black goo". Could it just be that regular (green) antifreeze was mixed with extended service (red) antifreeze? When the two are mixed, they coagulate into a black goo. If that's the case, you just need to flush all of it out of the radiator & engine.

Just a thought.
~~ Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 06-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'd just like to add that the red 'extended life' coolant is no better than the green. We're getting so many cars in the shop that have excessive build-up in the cooling systems from that cra...uh, red stuff. Not just the cars that have had the red and green mixed together, they have their own problems. For those of you that have cars with the red installed I wouldn't go much past two years on it, just the same as the green.

Almost reminiscent of R-134 being 'ozone friendly' - bull puckey! Somebody was about to lose their patent and the spin doctors/marketing department (aka the 'we're running out of fossil fuel' guys of the 70's) needed a replacement, with a brand new patent and equipment to sell, yadda, yadda, yadda. Wait a couple more years when the extremely high pressure CO2 a/c systems start coming out.... retrofitting will probably be impossible without installing a complete new system (which, for all intents and purposes, will never happen) and R-134 will shoot up to $150/lb. or higher. People gotta have their A/C, so there will be a whole new round of human bicycle racks spending big money having old systems repaired, and a lot of ecstatic OEMs having banner years as the three year old Neons/Corollas/*insert favorite model name here* get replaced because the a/c doesn't work anymore.

*This concludes this evening's soapbox*
Old 06-18-2002, 01:02 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

sucks...

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
The SVX overheated last summer at which time I flushed the radiator, replaced the hoses, t-stat, and cap. After the job was done, everything was A-OK for the rest of the summer.

Today, the first HOT day in MI (88-90), I saw the temp needle climbing after getting off the freeway. Made my appointment and then checked the car over. No fluid loss, no leaks, both fans operational . Called my local dealer and cautiously drove the 25 miles with the windows down and the heat turned up. Even while moving at 70+ speeds the temp needle rose and fell repeatedly. Got to the dealer and opened the reservoir to find black goo on top of the fluid. Quick inspection leads me to conclude its a head gasket, though these guys have seen a block catastrophically fail down cylinder #1 after an overheat.

I'm unsure what to do next. She's got a 143K on her and has served us well. My wife is her pilot on a daily basis (for the last 7 years) and would like to get something else. I have a garage FULL of performance parts and stock parts (including the smashed white SVX pictured in my locker). Fix her, dump her (at which point I'll have the mother-of-all SVX garage sales), take the SVXTypeR route and build the **** out of her. I don't know and I'm seriously disheartened right now.

Just wanted to get it off my chest.

Todd
You say its "hot" there...?? This was the temp at about 11am Sunday......and it only got worse. Been that way for a few weeks now. You might need a new radiator too. I havent had any o/h problems with any of my Svxs in 3 yrs like that........dg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp-gauge.jpg (57.5 KB, 134 views)

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 06-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
reviving an old thread - aside from the head gaskets - what else should I replace when changing the head gaskets?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
reviving an old thread
No kidding!!! I saw the dates on the posts and somehow missed the year for a few of them. I'm thinking, 'how did I miss this thread for like 10 days?!?!?!'

You practically gave me a heart attack...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
I got a sad feeling when reading this thread. Most of the people in it do not post here anymore.

As far as changing the head gaskets go, valve cover gaskets and plugs while you have the heads off? This would surely be easy access.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-23-2004, 05:13 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

I should have done a write-up w/pics

on this job, eh?

Valve cover gaskets
Valve cover bolt rubber washers
Intake manifold gaskets (there are two sets, I split the manifold from the head, keeping the injectors in place)
Head gaskets
Timing belt (mileage dependent)
T-stat (mileage dependent)
Water pump (mileage dependent)
Radiator hoses (mileage dependent)
Spark plugs (mileage dependent)

Pull and clean the head gasket surface and block surface. Check the entire surface area for flatness very carefully. I found no distortion on the block or heads when I pulled mine apart.

Tools needed-
Cherry picker
Engine stand
Torque wrench (3/8" for camshaft specs, 1/2" drive for head bolts)
Strap wrench (for pulley removal)
Factory service manual

Keep track of which every lifter goes Matt. Replace them in the same hole they came out of. I numbered a buch of plastic cups and placed a lifter in each according to my numbering scheme. Some lifters will virtually drop out of the hole, others were held in place. I used a small magnet to pull them out.

This thread brought back a bunch of memories Matt. Bad from the incident itself as well as the reminder of the people we've lost, and good from the support I got and getting the job done so that I could attend the 10th anniversary meet and actually get to make some great new friends, yourself included

Todd

(I guess this means you won't be needing the engine?)
Old 06-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Anyone ever thought of decking the heads? This would be a prime time to do it. I've always wondered what an increase in compression would do forthe eg33.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 06-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
Anyone ever thought of decking the heads? This would be a prime time to do it. I've always wondered what an increase in compression would do forthe eg33.
Cause piston slap?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Cause piston slap?
Didn't realize there was no room for it...nevemind

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 06-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
Decking the block of milling the heads on a Subaru engine produces a number of unwanted side effects. Harvey (oab_au) mentioned this a while back and friends with heavily-tweaked WRX motors have experienced problems first hand due to changing the the deck height. These changes result in one cam being slightly advanced and one slightly retarded. This also throws off the sensors (cam and crank position ) which causes odd stumbles and misfires as the ECU attempts to determine what is occuring down below. In both cases, the cure was to go with a MoTEC standalone ($4K plus custom built harness) after spending $2K on an AEM standalone which could not be modified to work with their engines due to hardcoding of some parameters within the AEM controller. Both of these guys have spent well in excess of $20K on their WRX mods.

CR can also be increased via custom pistons.

Todd
Old 06-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: I should have done a write-up w/pics

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

(I guess this means you won't be needing the engine?)
Thanks for the great information, Todd - I'm sure this will be helpful.

I do need the engine - I am going to rebuild this engine though in the meantime to keep me on the road until I get another or just rebuild and sell it if I can get one here soon enough.

I want your engine - the shipping cost will really be the deciding factor if it is worth it though.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 06-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
reviving an old thread - aside from the head gaskets - what else should I replace when changing the head gaskets?
DAMN YOU MATT

I was getting all worried for nothing.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak

DAMN YOU MATT

I was getting all worried for nothing.
Sure - worry for Todd's headgaskets - but when mine are shot no one gives a damn!