How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Sold. :'-(

Fuel-related stalling issues?

Hi there! I think I've made the very difficult decision not to sell the car. After driving the wife's Audi for 2 weeks I broke down and drove the SVX to work again this week - I couldn't believe how much I missed driving this car. There just isn't anything for under $15K that could begin to replace it for me, so I'm going to throw a mountain of money at it if necessary to make it "perfect" over the next year.

--

I'm still having stalling issues with my car (when warm; it does fine the first time you drive it after it's been sitting a while). I've replaced the coolant temp sensors and cleaned the MAF and only use good gas.

I was wondering if anyone had a shop manual for this car I could buy, or knew where I could get one.

I was also wondering if someone could diagram the fuel system for me - I'm looking for the fuel pump(s), the fuel filter(s) and the fuel pressure regulators.

Oh, and after my wonderful Eastern Ohio trans swap, the car is now leaving trans fluid puddles in the garage...
...If you know the situation, you who to blame, and who to avoid doing business with.

Thanks for all your help!
Raxles front axles
Old 10-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blue View Post
Hi there! I think I've made the very difficult decision not to sell the car. After driving the wife's Audi for 2 weeks I broke down and drove the SVX to work again this week - I couldn't believe how much I missed driving this car. There just isn't anything for under $15K that could begin to replace it for me, so I'm going to throw a mountain of money at it if necessary to make it "perfect" over the next year.

--

I'm still having stalling issues with my car (when warm; it does fine the first time you drive it after it's been sitting a while). I've replaced the coolant temp sensors and cleaned the MAF and only use good gas.

I was wondering if anyone had a shop manual for this car I could buy, or knew where I could get one.

I was also wondering if someone could diagram the fuel system for me - I'm looking for the fuel pump(s), the fuel filter(s) and the fuel pressure regulators.

Oh, and after my wonderful Eastern Ohio trans swap, the car is now leaving trans fluid puddles in the garage...
...If you know the situation, you who to blame, and who to avoid doing business with.

Thanks for all your help!
why do you automatically jump to fuel stalling it? My brothers fuel pump went on his crappy nissan and once it did, there was not starting it. My mustang's transmisson is bad in it and when you shift into Reverse or Drive it would stall the engine. Not saying it is that, but you did say something about the transmisson leaving fluid. Not very qualified person here.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Did you replace the MAF with a known good one? Cleaning was a good step, but I'd want to test it by testing a known good one.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Did you replace the MAF with a known good one? Cleaning was a good step, but I'd want to test it by testing a known good one.
MAF seems to be a common stalling problem.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Registered SVX
Most factors involving idling are controlled by the By Pass Air Control Valve and the Auxiliary Air Control Valve. Several flexible tubes are involved which deteriorate and can cause air leaks.

You will be wise to get hold of a set of manuals. They will save you a lot of money in the long run. Try the wanted to buy feature here, as a first option.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:52 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
MAF seems to be a common stalling problem.
When my MAF failed on my Legacy, my car drove like utter crap. Eventually, it got so bad that the car would start and just shut right off again.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
When my MAF failed on my Legacy, my car drove like utter crap. Eventually, it got so bad that the car would start and just shut right off again.
I mean people have problem when stopping it will stall but start back up right?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Well if it was a fuel pump it would also be hard to start, not only stall.. So like the others said you might wanna do the MAF as well ( replace known good with possible bad to rule out scenarios )

If that doesn't work what Trevor said sounds like another great option...

If you wanna check fuel ( if it will run for a while ) drive it with a fuel gauge in it coming out the hood ( in a safe place ) and watch the fuel pressure to see if it drops / fluctuates too much.

Ps: If its hard to start; cycle the key a few times (without starting it) to build up fuel pressure, it might be a weak pump thats on its way to dying

You will figure this out
Old 10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Sold. :'-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
...By Pass Air Control Valve and the Auxiliary Air Control Valve.
Where are these located?

Quote:
Several flexible tubes are involved which deteriorate and can cause air leaks.
This is the stuff that scares me. Since the trans swap is recent, and the rest of the work was substandard, I have NO faith in how these would have been put back together.

Quote:
You will be wise to get hold of a set of manuals. They will save you a lot of money in the long run. Try the wanted to buy feature here, as a first option.
Will do, THANKS!!
Raxles front axles
Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Driving in Style

the Bypass Air Control Solenoid Valve is located on the bottom of the throttle body. The Auxiliary Air Control Valve is located under the drivers side of the intake manifold. All good info on these is found here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&highlight=iac

If you feel like taking the intake manifold off to check this stuff out, the how-to write up from ECUTUNE's Supercharger has some pics of the underside of the intake manifold. BTW, it's really not that much of an ordeal to take it off, at least not compared to other engines I've done:

http://www.ecutune.com/Supercharger-Instructions.pdf

This pic shows the vaccum lines better

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...&size=big&cat=

Good Luck!

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD

Last edited by sd2649; 10-11-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:40 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
OK Call me a Moron but can someone once in a while spell out what you are talking about? I am new to this car and I am reading alot of these technical questions and answers to learn but I don't know what you are talking about when you abreviate such as "MAF". What is a MAF??
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Driving in Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
OK Call me a Moron but can someone once in a while spell out what you are talking about? I am new to this car and I am reading alot of these technical questions and answers to learn but I don't know what you are talking about when you abreviate such as "MAF". What is a MAF??
the MAF is the mass air flow sensor, it is located right on top of your air filter box, where the intake tube connects to it. This device measures the amount of air passing into your intake. It does this by running a low voltage electrical current through an exposed wire inside the intake tube. As air passes over the wire, it cools it allowing a slightly higher voltage to pass through the wire. denser air will cool the wire more efficiently, so..... it counts for that as well. Based on the way the device works, you can see why any debris or film of oil/grease would destroy the accuracy of the sensor.

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Good choice to keep your car.....Hmm bad choice to have it worked on in Ohio....I think I can guess who as well.

Sorry for your misfortunes and hope you get it running good again.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
I am sorry you have had bad experiances, and hope you find out whats wrong with your car. I am sure someone here has had the same problem and can help.
I personally have had awesome experiances with Ohio mechanics. My teal wouldnt be on the road otherwise.
2009 Subaru Forester - Mileage Junky
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2017 Ford Mustang GT 6spd
Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 AM
95 SVX L - New owner

Send a message via AIM to min
nature of the beast

i am no mechanic, believe me. i had a svx. eastern ohio gave it new life with a 4.44. a standup job. doesn't surprise me you're still having problems. that's the nature of the svx beast. one major issue is resolved, and another one pops up. makes you want to scream at the top of your lungs. actually made my son do that. that's why i finally caved and got rid of it. they are very cool, but they are very expensive and waiting for parts can be a nightmare. but i stand behind my eastern ohio guy. he is honest, hardworking, and knows that svx beast. best of luck with your svx. it's a neverending journey.