Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-16-2007, 09:17 PM

Exclamation engine runs like crap!!

ok, heres whats going on with my engine, when i drive my svx there is a hesitation but it repeadly hesitates a number of times under acceleration, give it more gas and it goes away, let off the gas and and it will do it again, lets say i turn it off, and drive it again for an hour, it will finaly stop, or the next day, it will be completly gone! its like everyother day... its hard to explain but man it sounds like its miss firing or sumthin, it just rides and sounds terrible when it is under acceleration... anyone got any ideas?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Throttle Position Sensor or maybe the MAF. Hard to nail down, but I'm willing to bet it's definitely electronic and probably one of those two sensors. I would clean the TPS and reset the ECU and see if it comes back.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Alcyone ... the brightest star

TPS cleaning and reset the ECU are good things to try.

Do you have a CEL?
The engine should detect a misfire and throw a code.

You could also try a fuel conditioner to clean out the injectors.
You may have a bad plug or injector.

Bob
Old 09-16-2007, 09:59 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
redsvx definitely got something I missed - pull the codes off the ECU. If your car is throwing a CEL, you need to check that before you go any further.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-16-2007, 10:07 PM

just had a brand new ecu intalled by a shop, what ever it is isnt hasnt thrown a code at all or the shop would have seen it cuzz they looked all that stuff up on the old ecu and the new one, when i picked it up from the shop the day they installed the new ecu (friday), it was like heaven, the engine ran so good it was like a dream, but then yesterday, first thing it does when i give it gas, hesitate....and did it today aswell... already cleaned the engine with seafoam, didnt help at all, infact made the engine start up weird like extremely soft start and low idle so i couldnt tell it turned over till i grinded the starter lol...
Old 09-16-2007, 10:53 PM

o and not only that but i have a hint its the tps, when shifting to 2nd gear it makes a click then like 8-10 sec. later it will finally shift..can someone give me a picture of the tps? im when it comes to working on cars...
Old 09-17-2007, 03:49 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisen_15 View Post
just had a brand new ecu intalled by a shop, what ever it is isnt hasnt thrown a code at all or the shop would have seen it cuzz they looked all that stuff up on the old ecu and the new one, when i picked it up from the shop the day they installed the new ecu (friday), it was like heaven, the engine ran so good it was like a dream, but then yesterday, first thing it does when i give it gas, hesitate....and did it today aswell... already cleaned the engine with seafoam, didnt help at all, infact made the engine start up weird like extremely soft start and low idle so i couldnt tell it turned over till i grinded the starter lol...
Cruisen

The advice so far is good. You have recently had a brand new ECU fitted. If your car ran well at the shop as you say, then it is extremely unlikely the technicians there would have seen a code at that time. You only get a code for a problem, there was no problem at that time.

Now there is a problem, there may be a code now and you need to check before pulling TPS and stuff.

Also, if you paid the shop to fit the TCU only last Friday, then I would return the car to the shop and ask them to check. If they are a fully geared up Subie outfit, they will probably have the Subie Select Monitor, and can check for much more in the electronics than you can.

In any event, if the problem is caused by a bad plug or something they left loose, it will be smart to go back to them and ask them to check what's the problem.

That's where I would start.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-17-2007, 05:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jedz123
Pull the Codes! I once had similar problems in my Impreza. The Check Engine light would pop on then go away. Random Hesitation, wouldn't accelerate smoothly... I Just kept running it... Well finally the problem went bad and I was left 30 miles away from help. I had the limp the car home @ 15 mph for it would go no faster... 2 hours later in my driveway the car died. I then puled the code found out my MAF was shot bought a junkyard MAF for 20 bucks and it ran as good as new. I just don't want to hear your car dieing on you far from help for you may not be able to limp it home like I did...

PULL THOSE CODES!!!!!!!

~jedz