Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 08-28-2007, 05:50 PM

Thumbs up Awards weekend

Checked out motels at Ocean Shores and Long Beach last Saturday. All do give discount for ten or more rooms. All need to know a specific weekend. I suggest the third weekend of January. This way all can plan for it. We liked The Holliday Inn Express. Rates are $100-$150 for ten or more. Has a large meeting room. Will bring more information to Vancouver.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Ocean Shores would be a great location as far as being "interesting" and "scenic". I love the ocean in the winter, but not sure if everyone else shares that view and would be willing to make the trip/pay during that time of year.

The price quoted is a bit on the higher end, especially for a group discount, but again, maybe if the location is deemed "worth it" the extra cost will be okay with people. Based on the other thread, we don't even have 10 interested parties yet, which isn't enough for a discount, OR making a full weekend long event.

Is there any additional cost to use the meeting room? How long could we use it for? If we had enough rooms reserved, could we have it the whole weekend? (Wishful thinking, but at this time of year a dedicated 24/7 place for our group to hang out together indoors would be cool... er warm!) What about food options for the banquet? Would the hotel cater it through the meeting room, would we use a nearby restaurant? Alcohol?

See if you can track down these answers and post here or we can talk more in Vancouver. Either way, I want to build up a proposal for this location and a few others I am looking into. Once the next meet is over, I will reach out to the membership as a whole to guage interest and give a few options to choose from.

If anyone else has an idea of a good location for the Awards Weekened, research it and post it (or send me an email) within the next couple of weeks and we will add it to the choices.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 08-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
I would like to get a few "proposals" together for potential locations to hold this event. In a couple of weeks I will put together a list to choose from (if we decide to do an Awards Weekend that is).

So now is the time to throw your idea into the hat. If you know of an interesting NW location that would be good for a January/February event, do a little research and post it here or email me.

Some things to consider:

Host hotel - to submit your idea it would be best if you already have a host hotel in mind, even better if you have contacted them to determine if there is a discount for a block of rooms (how many?) and prices. Cost will be a factor folks consider when choosing from these I'm sure so we'll need to post that. Other things to look for are of course a nice parking lot for our cars (and possible activities like maintenance demos), a meeting room, restaurant, etc.

Banquet - this even centers around the Awards Banquet so it goes without saying that somewhere in your proposal a good banquet location is detailed. Either at the hotel, or within walking distance (preferably). Good food, alcohol served, and most importantly our own private room to hold the awards ceremony in. Like the hotel, as much detail as you can provide, price, capacity, etc, probably best to contact this facility before your proposal as well.

Central location
- probably somewhat central to the "active" NW members is best. Right now we have heavy concentrations of activity in the Puget Sound area and Portland area. All are welcome and encouraged to attend, but we want to make it easy for those we KNOW will show up to do so. It could be right in between Seattle and Portland to make a "fair" and equal distance between the two, or maybe close to Seattle with the thought that it is "close enough" to the die-hard Portland folks, and right there for the Seattle folks that want to go home each night to not pay for a hotel.

Interesting location - bonus points if the location is considered "interesting" or "scenic". If we are going to spend a whole weekend somewhere, it might be nice if there are some other things besides SVX to see or do in the area. The reality is most of our group would be happy to spend the whole weekend in a parking lot with the cars, but there may be some spouses/sig others who would appreciate it. The more interesting a place is, the farther away from being "central" it may be allowed to be. There's a balance there somewhere.

Deadline to have this information in by is September 14th. After that I will compile all the information together on a web page and ask everyone for input. Hopefully by the end of September we will know whether or not we will do this event at all, and if so, where it will be hosted and people can start making reservations.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...