Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-01-2007, 01:18 PM

Have you tried swapping in the 05+ front STi hubs and brakes yet? Seems like it might be a good swap since it gives you your better brakes, larger front wheelbearings, and all that other lovely stuff.

Also what year 6mt did you use?

One might also warn the users to reaserch thier 6spd carefuly as they can be vastly different year to year or between models. The older 6spds from japan for example lack DCCD and other very nice things the USDM STi 6spd has.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have a v8 JDM 6mt with DCCD and a lsd front diff... I got all the options in mine. I am working a dccd controller to put it to good use but i was the 1st top have a dccd 6mt in an SVX. SInce then there have been 3 that I know of. The hubs are not an option as our suspension is ery different and the mounting points are not right for the sway bars and the mount for the strut is too thin on an STI hub... As far as I know the STI shares wheel bearings w/ the SVX in the rear but I am not sure about the fronts. The brakes will nto work on our hubs either so I am looking into modifying the Wilwood kit in order to make them fit onto our hubs (wilwood wants nothing to do w/ the SVX). In short, I am trying to fix all of the short commings of the SVX using several Sti/WRX parts and a little fabrication. It has been a long process for my car but in the end it makes it easier for others to do it down the road.

Tom
Old 06-01-2007, 01:34 PM

The 05 front hubs have a thicker mounting flange than the WRX for the strut. They did screw with the bolt spacing too, so that might be an issue.

If I get to building mine up, I'll be making myself a set of coilovers so... no worries. Axles were my main concern. The main reason I was thinking of the hub conversion was to make the OEM brembo brakes and STi brake kits just slap on. I should look back into it as the AutoX wrx/STi people were doing these hubswaps to thier car for a while after the 05 came out.

yah I dunno when the JDM 6spds got the DCCD but I thought I should toss it out that some are very different than others. Trying to recall when the JDM ones switched front LSD styles. It was 04 to 05 in america with the 05 having a much milder (and safer) front diff. And of course the 06 USDM gets the 1.1:1 final drive reduction box and different torque split. The 07 gets all new ratios. Lovely huh? I'd want the 07 box but dunno if people are finding trees with them yet in enough numbers to make the parts cheap.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
I've been reading a lot over at NASIOC about the DCCD. Comments on lots of wheel spin on hills and if one wheel hangs up when the controller is not hooked up. Kinda scary. If you just buy a controller can it be that hard to hook up?

Don't know how you do the dash display or if that's just eye candy.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 PM

yes, without the controler it has an open diff in the center. Which works fine as long as you keep wheels on the ground.

Tom, when you do your controler, would it be cheaper to do just a few fixed % of lock up settings? I don't know how the stock DCCD controler does manual mode, but so far that I've seen 50% -99% lockup range is useless since it starts to bind up like hell on anything sticky enough to prevent pure 100% lock on the center diff.

So If its cheaper to do it with fixed lockups, I would want 0%, 10%, 20%,30%,50% and 100% with 10% the first to be left out if needed. 0% is off, and worth a good bit of milage on the highway atleast on the STi as the auto controler would start locking the center diff in corners. 10% is very RWD like, and will even dump out into a burnout spin like a mustang/F-body do if too much throttle is used. 20% is still very RWD like but doesn't tend to do RWD burnouts if pushed. 30% is the most I found useful on pavement ever. 50% and 100% are for dirt n snow.

Anyway, when you get your controler done, I bet you can sell the hell out of it on the WRX/STi sites given the number of people with 5 and 6spd dccd transmissions in cars not origionaly equipped with such.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
P.S. I am working on a DCCD controller that costs A LOT less than others and should work well.... But more on that after I get it installed... Just finished putting it together today
So Tom, How does Spiider's controller stack up?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Maniac modifier

dunno yet... I got the Velleman kit and I put it together... Now it is just finding time to install it and take it for a test drive.... svxfiles pointed me to that post he made and it was an instant decision

Tom
Old 06-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
I've got to tell you, I'm a little leery of putting in a 6 speed if the DCCD doesn't work. May have to look at another option, like a 5 mt. Don't think I'd want the wife to drive a car with a squirrelly rear end.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
What is the difference between a USDM 06 STi transmission and a JDM ver 8 or ver 7? Is it just 3rd and 4th gears?

I have a chance to pick up a USDM 06 with DCCD switches and controllers
Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Maniac modifier

the 06 uses a different rear diff as far as I know... or maybe thats the 07's?? I haven't really been keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to the new trannies... How much for the 06 and all the partS?

Tom
Old 06-05-2007, 10:09 AM

06 should use a 3.545 rear diff (how handy eh?)

46/54 torque split on the center diff. This should be perfect if you spend some time taking wieght off the car forward of the front axle.

dredging up my memorys of it, I think it needs a steering angle sensor for its auto mode on the DCCD.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Maniac modifier

the only feasable way of using the dccd is to get an aftermarket controller

Tom
Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
How much for the 06 and all the partS?

Tom
Still under negotiation, but 4 axles, 4 STI hubs, 4 STi BBS wheels , DCCD controllers & sensors, front & rear diff, drive shaft, shifter, clutch, flywheel Master & Slave Cylinders, Starter etc

He's asking $6000. Could sell the extra stuff (Hubs wheels shaft), & I think it would be a fair deal if I can beat him down a little.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon
06 should use a 3.545 rear diff (how handy eh?)
Is there a place that confirms this? I looked on Joe Spitz and they say 3.90 final drive and 3.545 reverse gear.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:03 AM

Hmm... only certain source would be the subaru dealer or a STi service manual. What you want to find out is if the 06 has the 1.1:1 reduction gear in the transfercase. Used to reduce driveshaft speed cause americans ***** too much I guess.

The R180 is a better diff, and if you can talk him into the whole pile of parts the rear brakes are better too. Even better the parking brake drums are larger on the STi's as they are actualy designed to be used by the driver as a car control while at speed.

As for the front hubs, at some point I want to see how different the SVX ones are than the 05+ hubs, given that I have found other SVX bits showing up in later subarus than one might expect. If those could be made to work.... good times for all.