Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-29-2007, 11:12 AM

real bad short

car died on highway had towed home. fuel pump wasnt working i thought. i changed fuel pump, resister, modulator, relay still nothing. then looked at schematics and saw the fuse sbf2 under hood had something to do with the fuel pump. fuse was blow and i replace it. started up ran good again. went to leave for test drive i got about 3 miles and car died on highway again. fuse sbf2 under hood blow replace blew and soon and turn ignition. had car towed home. started looking at wiring diagram again and unpluging things. i am down to it has something do with some connected to the furthest plug under hood on pass side of car. i cut wires unpluged evrything and repluged a million times. still blowing 30 amp everytime turn ignition on. need help asap car is sitting on street and will be towed soon. please help with what might cause that big a short. or i will have to get rid of cars.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 PM

Registered SVX
It is simply impossible to diagnose your problem without actually being on the spot and examining the car. It would seem that you know what you are doing in trying to trace the short circuit. Believe in your ability.

Connect a bulb (or a voltmeter), across the fuse which is blowing. It will light up as a result of the shorted circuit drawing current to ground. Then continue with your investigation. Do not randomly mess about with this and that, using the wiring diagram apply good sense and logic. You will get there.

Making the connection to the fuse holder requires a little ingenuity. You could try some thin stranded wire pushed in to make good contact, by using a blown fuse to hold the wires in place.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:08 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Stop replacing fuses by following Trevor's advise.
1) Use a test light across the fuse that is blowing. The test light will glow brightly.
2) Using the wire diagram, jiggle the wiring around connectors, light fittings, behind the dash connections, and places where wiring goes through sheet metal, while watching the test light.
3) When the test light dims, you've located the area of the short, it's usually a loose wire or a bare wire touching metal. Good luck!

Last edited by dannmarr; 05-30-2007 at 06:11 AM.