Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
OK, look. I never said a word about my tranny adding crank HP as that is just ridiculous. It simply transfers more of the power to the wheels due to the gear ratios. I also never said a word about wheels adding crank HP, But they will improve your times with less rotational mass. But tell me, How many SVX's out there can run 15.2 stock?? I haven't seen one yet unless I missed something. Mine was running 15.7 with stock gears, ECU, exhaust and a few mods, But to say I have no more power than stock is absolutely ridiculous. I keep my engine sparkling clean in all aspects inside and out and tuned up at ALL times and use nothing but the best and I have seen dyno proven results from the TB coolant bypass and also from LW/underdrive pulleys. Together they should be worth 10 HP minimum, And until somebody proves me wrong with testing of their very own I stand by it. I'm also a firm believer in high flow air filters as I have seen the results on many different vehicles and the impact it makes on economy and power. So tell me, How did I make a 87 GTA go from 15's(stock recorded times) to 13's on a 80K mile motor in excellent shape with most of the same mods as on my SVX if they don't add power? Why was I running(and most commonly beating) LS1's and every Mustang out there at the time?? Why was I blowing trannies every 3 months in it if I was just putting out "restored" stock power???

Last edited by Budfreak; 05-17-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
OK... lets settle one thing for good. There is no point in you talking about your mods increasing power and you handing out #'s for their improvements until you get the car on a dyno and do baselines for everything you have done... I guarentee you that all your "mods" including your super secret "mods" will give you no more than 10hp to the wheels. Meaning that the 10 hp your 100k engine has lost in its extremely long life are restoring power. Don't believe me? dyno it and you will find out the hard way

Tom
Old 05-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
OK... lets settle one thing for good. There is no point in you talking about your mods increasing power and you handing out #'s for their improvements until you get the car on a dyno and do baselines for everything you have done... I guarentee you that all your "mods" including your super secret "mods" will give you no more than 10hp to the wheels. Meaning that the 10 hp your 100k engine has lost in its extremely long life are restoring power. Don't believe me? dyno it and you will find out the hard way

Tom
No thanks. I'll just let common sense, Math, Times, And the seat of pants bear witness to what I'm doing rather than spend money at the dyno. They seem to be working good for me so far according to my signature. Once I'm supercharged I'll go to the dyno and prove something once and for all.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
No thanks. I'll just let common sense, Math, Times, And the seat of pants bear witness to what I'm doing rather than spend money at the dyno. They seem to be working good for me so far according to my signature. Once I'm supercharged I'll go to the dyno and prove something once and for all.
This is the reason why all of these bolt-on "mods" are all illegedly making you more power. this is also the reason why your argument that you are making more than stock power is faulty... If and when you do hit the dyno... Take a baseline (highest # obtained on the dyno) and then compare to the lowest # with all of your mods. This is the only way to show proven power increases... I guarentee you will be majorly disapointed. Don't claim you are making over 165 wheel horse until you hit the dyno and prove it.

Tom
Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92svx95
Tom, you never answered my question? Your tellin me LAN's software does'nt increase "crank" HP?
No, the stage 1 software may give an extra couple ponies but its main function is to smoothen out the torque and power curves to create continuous power rather than spontanious

Quote:
rather it's not a mod but a way to loosen up a 15 year old motor? does that include regular maintenance and tune ups?
Maintenance is always good... but the fact remains that over time, a motor will loosen up and it will loose its spunk.

Quote:
Budfreak ran a 14.94 and you ran a 14.5! i am sure after your recent purchase it should blow them numbers away.... but if a "230" hp modified svx can run 14.9's, then what does a 100% totally stock/NA svx run? i am
Yes, budfreak ran a 14.94 but take this into account. What was the humidy that day? What was the ambient temp that day? How much stuff did he take out of the car before he made his run? What tire pressures was he running?

A totally stock SVX has been known to run a 15.2 in the 1/4m at about 90 mph. Budfreak ran a 14.94 at 92.xx mph. The trap speed is an indicator of power/weight ratio. If he did indeed take a little off the car to make the run( I don't know if he did/didn't) it would increase his trap speeds by a small amount. A colder ambient air temp ( I believe he was racing in the 40*'s) will give the engine a denser charge and thus better combustion (power&torque)

The E.T. really means nothing to anyone who goes to the track for the right reasons, it is merely a number, whereas trap speeds and the #'s between the E.T.'s mean a lot more. Not saying he should not be proud of his car running a sub 15 second 1/4 mile, i am merely critizizing his claims of more pony power when that is not the case

Tom

P.S. if you are claiming that your "mods" add horsepower, you need to dyno it to show that. A track slip is only good to say that your "mods" are good for .3 seconds.

Last edited by TomsSVX; 05-17-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:54 PM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad
That`s very interesting ... Hey , Budfreak : Hope my engine is on the way ......
Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

I sure would like to see the stock SVX that runs 15.2's stock since the record holder is a 15.3. Give me a friggin' break and quit trying to downplay my record and my business all the time. I've seen quite a few SVX's drag race and I haven't seen a normal everyday stock one that I recall go over the high 80's in MPH and they generally can't get below 15.5 at the best. Why has nobody else hit the 14's N/A except me and Benebob if it can be done with stock HP? I'm starting to think that just nobody wants to give me any credit because I haven't been in this nearly as long as the others or something and I'm being treated like a friggin' noob and HIGHLY underestimated. You'll all eat crow someday when you see what Budfreak really knows.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 PM

Registered SVX
Does or does not, the car in question have non standard 4.44 final drive. If it does, how can short standing start runs be taken as a means of comparison, in respect of engine power?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Does or does not, the car in question have non standard 4.44 final drive. If it does, how can short standing start runs be taken as a means of comparison, in respect of engine power?
Yes, Mine is 4.44's and I'm trying to compare with other 4.44's that have run. I'm also comparing my times from when I was completely stock and ran 15.7 against other stock ones. Are 4.44's really worth .8 seconds?? They must be since I have stock HP. Boy, They really are a good bang for the buck I guess.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
Yes, Mine is 4.44's and I'm trying to compare with other 4.44's that have run. I'm also comparing my times from when I was completely stock and ran 15.7 against other stock ones. Are 4.44's really worth .8 seconds?? They must be since I have stock HP. Boy, They really are a good bang for the buck I guess.
Yes, lower gearing must be of substantial benefit in respect standing start times. That was my point. You confirm that your are taking this into account as should be the case.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Chike, w/ cams and NO engine management ran a 15.0x... on a stock MAF and was maxing it out... He ran on a cool day much as you have... your .06 of a second is not substantial horse power in my mind. Sorry

Tom
Old 05-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Chike, w/ cams and NO engine management ran a 15.0x... on a stock MAF and was maxing it out... He ran on a cool day much as you have... your .06 of a second is not substantial horse power in my mind. Sorry

Tom
Let's also look at the fact that Chike had RX7 wheels and I have stock, He had cams and I don't, And I had a maxing MAF too. What would I have run with cams and lighter wheels plus a MAF bypass??
Old 05-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Maniac modifier

The lighter wheels are really not an issue... Granted, less rotational mass is a good thing but in this case, you can look at his time slips and you will see they did not change substantially with the RX-7 wheels. The intake cams took .1 seconds off his time from his previous best run, which goes to show that until the MAF is replaced with one that can accurately read higher airflows, there is no real moving past a stock power level. Chike never ran an MAF bypass that I know of because he didn't want to hack up his only airbox.

You forget that I was the one who did the work on his car for the cams. You forget that Tom was the one who did the 4.44 swap on his car... It seems that somewhere along the line that you have forgotten that Tom has shown you everything you know about an SVX and you show no appreciation. It also seems that you tend to diagnose a clogged exhaust as a bad engine AND transmission and charge someone to buy them and replace them only to find this is not the problem. If you really want me to go into more details of why I am doing all of this, just ask otherwise, there is nothing more to be said in this thread. Your claims of supernatural horsepower from a pulley and an intake are rediculous... by all means, congratulations on beating out the N/A automatic street legal title. Its an acheivement to be held up to the heavens, but don't push your "secrets" and your "mods" on people without some way besides a time slip to back them up. If I drag raced a car in 40* temps the times would be better too

Tom
Old 05-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
The lighter wheels are really not an issue... Granted, less rotational mass is a good thing but in this case, you can look at his time slips and you will see they did not change substantially with the RX-7 wheels. The intake cams took .1 seconds off his time from his previous best run, which goes to show that until the MAF is replaced with one that can accurately read higher airflows, there is no real moving past a stock power level. Chike never ran an MAF bypass that I know of because he didn't want to hack up his only airbox.

You forget that I was the one who did the work on his car for the cams. You forget that Tom was the one who did the 4.44 swap on his car... It seems that somewhere along the line that you have forgotten that Tom has shown you everything you know about an SVX and you show no appreciation. It also seems that you tend to diagnose a clogged exhaust as a bad engine AND transmission and charge someone to buy them and replace them only to find this is not the problem. If you really want me to go into more details of why I am doing all of this, just ask otherwise, there is nothing more to be said in this thread. Your claims of supernatural horsepower from a pulley and an intake are rediculous... by all means, congratulations on beating out the N/A automatic street legal title. Its an acheivement to be held up to the heavens, but don't push your "secrets" and your "mods" on people without some way besides a time slip to back them up. If I drag raced a car in 40* temps the times would be better too

Tom
I think you might want to get some of your facts straight son before going off on a rant with me. I wasn't asked to diagnose the car, I was asked to replace the engine and transmission. After that and the problem still existed I tried to troubleshoot everything. I've never known an exhaust to clog and not show SOME sign of it be it a noise or whatever and hers did. I fixed the exhaust and now she has a lower mileage engine with no leaks, A good 4.44, and a soon to be finished exhaust and a sound car once a few more typical SVX bugs are worked out. Tom taught me about 4.44 swaps and gave me some exhaust advice and some other tidbits and I never didn't give him credit for it and I respect him fully, But to say he taught me everything is bull****. I know and understand electronics and engines very well plus the overall dynamics of a car and how to make it fast. As I said, you seem to think you have something on me and you are SEVERELY underestimating me and my car. Do you completely forget Reading Vii where my car stuck to the bumper of your 2V6 6 spd. with no computer tuning and an auto(without me driving it mind you)?? Do you have an explanation for that?? Just give it a rest and get a life. All that your about is trying to steal away my customers because your jealous as hell that I'm making a go of it and your not. That's why you PM my customers and harass them and that's why your always riding my ass and doing all in your power to make me look bad. Pure jealousy. You can't stand the fact that I came on the scene and quickly learned my way around the ropes and started my own business plus took a speed record. Not to mention I'm a everyday working man that breaks his ass and works hard for his car, And you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and had everything handed to you(Like your POS supercharger and 6 spd.). Just give it time(as I can't just throw 7500 bucks at my cars like some 21 year old kids and won't need to anyway because I can do my own setup better and much cheaper) and I'll show you who knows what around here youngster. I'm just glad you finally irritated me enough to bring out the truth about how you are(as I've been holding my tongue to keep peace)and the dirty and underhanded things you do to get your business, And that's to steal it from others. It's gotten to the point where I can barely do business on here without hearing about Tomssvx contacting them to talk smack about me. Pretty damn sad if you ask me for someone with such "skills". BTW, I'll be making equal length headers soon and they won't cost 1,500 bucks because I'm not a schmuck.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 AM

Why such the hostility? I remember correctly Budfreak was asked to perform certain tasks including engine and a tranny swap. When the swap was finalized he ran into a few problems and asked the forum for help. You obvioulsy could not help in diagnosising the problem. Instead you continue to bash on him and his integrity. I recall in the state of PA you do have 40 degree temps,, sounds like an exuse! tom, what is the problem, i thought this forum was all about family, help, and a learning process. You live in Pa and Jason lives in Ohio. No need for negligence and i feel this thread is off topic and off course.... congratulation Jason on the motor swap and good luck with your future plans. im done!!