Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-25-2007, 03:45 PM
My kitten can woop your kitten

Send a message via AIM to Dengue Send a message via Yahoo to Dengue
life as usual

ok, so I paid my 1600 bucks, a good portion of that going towards a new egr, in an effort to quell a stalling issue at low rpm, got the car back saturday, and today (wednesday) it stalled twice on the way home from work. What else could it be, so I can suggest it at the shop.

thanks in advance

Skip
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengue
ok, so I paid my 1600 bucks, a good portion of that going towards a new egr, in an effort to quell a stalling issue at low rpm, got the car back saturday, and today (wednesday) it stalled twice on the way home from work. What else could it be, so I can suggest it at the shop.

thanks in advance

Skip
Sorry to hear your continuing problems.

In reality, the shop if they knew what they were about would be able to suggest to you what the problem was. Then chase it down and fix it.

I once had a stalling problem that was caused by the Mass Air Flow sensor [MAF for short] It used to cut out when pulling up at a junction after a hard drive. Heat was affecting it.

However, don't go and buy a new MAF without knowing for sure this is the problem. You could be throwing good money away if your own MAF is OK. Your best bet would be to swap one from a friend whose SVX is running well. If yours then runs sweet, and his stalls, then for sure you know the problem, replace it.

There are two [at least ] other things that can directly cause stalling at low tickover. The obvious one is the solenoid valve that controls the slow running jet. This is on the intake, and is controlled by the engine computer. It is the bit that causes your car to tick over at higher revs when the engine is cold, or when the aircon comes on.

If it is not working properly, the car could cut out under load when the aircon cuts in or you turn the steering hard over and so on.

The other obvious [but expensive!] thing that could be wrong is the computer itself, the ECU. If it is not doing its job correctly, the car will run rough and stall.

You really need to give the car to a technician that understands the car and can do troubleshooting, otherwise you could be wasting money replacing parts that are OK.

Best of luck with it Skip.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Sorry to hear your continuing problems.

In reality, the shop if they knew what they were about would be able to suggest to you what the problem was. Then chase it down and fix it.

Best of luck with it Skip.

Joe
Here, here, and here. Give them stick.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 PM

well, it is a pretty good, shop, but, the odds of finding a tech here that know anything about the svx aren't that good. They are being really cool about the whole thing, when I got my car back on saturday, the A/C suddenly wasn't working. I took it back and they traced it down to a bad seal, that couldn't possibly have been their fault, and they are only charging me for the recharge.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengue
well, it is a pretty good, shop, but, the odds of finding a tech here that know anything about the svx aren't that good. They are being really cool about the whole thing, when I got my car back on saturday, the A/C suddenly wasn't working. I took it back and they traced it down to a bad seal, that couldn't possibly have been their fault, and they are only charging me for the recharge.
Good news. If they are showing the right attitude and continue to do their very best for you, it is the correct thing to stay with them.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 PM

in fact, as I was driving home through the stalls, they called me just to ask if it was running ok. Of course I told them no, and the guy fell all over himself telling me that they would do everything they could to take care of the problem, and that they would make it as convienent for me as possible, as it is, I drop the car off at their shop and they took me to work, and then came and picked me up after work.

Skip