How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-29-2006, 07:00 PM

New JDM engine

Hi everybody,
I just driopped a 40K JDM engine in my 92 and am having trouble. It will crank till the cows come home but won't fire. I swapped out the coils and plugs from a running car and if I spray starter fluid into the intake it will fire for a second. Is it fuel possibly? I was very meticulous and put everything back in it's place. I am thinking injectors or something...Anyone got any ideas? Thanks Guys..
Old 08-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
crank or cam angle sensors?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Is your fuel pressure and return line switched? After we did my 6MT swap Tom couldn't turn over my Pearl and we found out that the lines were switched.

Does the engine sound like it's not getting fuel, spark or air? Turning and not firing most likely fuel related.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-29-2006, 08:41 PM

Firing

I am not thinking it is a cam or crank sensor, because it fired with starting fluid and almost ran for a second. The fuel lines I believe are set correctly because one tore when being twisted off and had to be replaced. I am so frustrated...is there any fuel cut off switch or anything that anyone can think of? Thanks for the aswers guys I will double check all the stuff mentioned. Steve
Old 08-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If it cranks and won't start usually the ECU will trip an error code. May want to look into that and if there's a code it will get you headed in the right direction.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:59 PM

gas

injectors or lines are clogged due to the crap gas they use there. swap out the old known good injectors.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:05 PM

Registered SVX
Crap gas? You're kidding aren't you? Japs get some of the best fuel around.

If it's running on starter fluid, then it's fuel related (spark is fine).

I'm with gest24...swapped fuel lines. It's easy to do, and it definitely won't run with them on the wrong way.

Check the codes...then check the fuel lines again.

I've seen heaps of JDM engines, some having sat for many years, fire up almost first time.

All you might need is a bit of injector cleaner.

Matt
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 PM

Gas

One of my co-workers who has worked in the auto industry said I might need to bleed the fuel rails. Both to eliminate any possible air and verify fuel is reaching that far. He said there is a schraeder valve to be removed on the fuel rail and to crank it over. Anyone ever heard of this? I want to get as many ideas as possible before heading back to my old house where I have no net access. Thanks for your help guys. Steve

Last edited by Hohopirates; 08-30-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 PM

Registered SVX
No...he's confusing your AC system, which has a schraeder valve.

The fuel system can be bled by turning the ignition on, leaving the pump running until it stops, then turn it off, then turning it on again etc. You can hear the pump buzz for a few seconds. Cycle through that and it's bled a few times.

Check your fuel lines.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:23 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Fuel Fuel Fuel... lol If my crank pulley wasn't on the way out I'd offer to drive up to Hemet and help you out.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-31-2006, 07:23 AM

Crappy fuel,now japan has something like 95 or 98 octane,I think your fuel lines are reversed,or did you put fresh plugs in that new engine,remove your fuel lines to make sure fuel is coming thru,I have my stock 94 pump so your pump should be ok.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 AM

Fuel pump

Yeah the pump was fine when my other engine went up in smoke. I am going to pull the fuel lines and verify fuel is reaching that point. There are two lines of the same size and one smaller one. I don't have my car nearby so I can't take a picture, which one is the incoming fuel and which one is the return? I hope it's as easy as this, my fingers are crossed. Thanks guys!
Old 08-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
From the front of the engine the three lines are Supply, Return and Vent.

Supply is a high pressure clamped line and is fed from the cannnister fuel filter on the strut tower

Return is a high pressure clamped line and goes to a connector and then through the firewall

Vent is a low pressure Spring clamped line and also leads back through the firewall.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:19 PM

Fuel!!!

Ok Guys,
I made sure the lines were correct for fuel and yet still nothing. I pulled the lines and cranked and still nothing. I am getting frustrated and am wondering if there is a fuse for the fuel pump somewhere besides under the hood or kickpanel. My RX7 had a fuel cut off that would need to be reset to resume fuel flow. No check engine codes come up and everything is fine except the fuel issue...???? Thanks guys, Steve

P.S. when you guys turn your key to on does your check engine light stay lit?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:32 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohopirates
Ok Guys,
I made sure the lines were correct for fuel and yet still nothing. I pulled the lines and cranked and still nothing. I am getting frustrated and am wondering if there is a fuse for the fuel pump somewhere besides under the hood or kickpanel. My RX7 had a fuel cut off that would need to be reset to resume fuel flow. No check engine codes come up and everything is fine except the fuel issue...???? Thanks guys, Steve

P.S. when you guys turn your key to on does your check engine light stay lit?
So there's no fuel coming out of the lines? Thats not good. Can you tell if your pump is running at all?

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..