Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-21-2006, 08:36 PM

Angry trans slipping....

hey guys got a tranny issue. i have a 92 svx with 87k. ive had the tranny once and replaced brake band, and revese clutch pack/drum. result of 2 much fun in the snow. everything else looked like new ive put 7k on since then. last night i was on a road trip and it stared to flare shift. i also noticed highway speeds my rpms were high.....as the trip went on they got higher. i checked the tranny fluid......good. i tried switching from drive to 3rd with the same result, but in 2nd there was no slipping......i finished my trip in 2nd gear. any ideas of whats wrong?!?!? and also how do i tell if my car has a legacy tranny swap in it? when ordering a trans fiter advance auto they first gave me a svx filter...didnt fit but a legacy one did
Old 07-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotchrocketony
hey guys got a tranny issue. i have a 92 svx with 87k. ive had the tranny once and replaced brake band, and revese clutch pack/drum. result of 2 much fun in the snow. everything else looked like new ive put 7k on since then. last night i was on a road trip and it stared to flare shift. i also noticed highway speeds my rpms were high.....as the trip went on they got higher. i checked the tranny fluid......good. i tried switching from drive to 3rd with the same result, but in 2nd there was no slipping......i finished my trip in 2nd gear. any ideas of whats wrong?!?!? and also how do i tell if my car has a legacy tranny swap in it? when ordering a trans fiter advance auto they first gave me a svx filter...didnt fit but a legacy one did
Well the clutch that you didn't replace last time, has gone. The High clutch is used for 3rd and 4th.
Have you ever checked the cooler in the bottom of the radiator for a blockage? The early models suffered from lining particles blocking the cooler. This starved the gear set of cool lubricating oil, so heat caused damage to the clutch and gear set.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:25 PM

we checked all the clutches and they all mesured good and there was no heat spots or anything on the plates. (when we rebuilt it) if the trans was over heating shouldnt the "trans over heating" light come on? do you know how the check on what trans my car has? im hopeng I have the legasy trans so I can buy a cheep replacment with out a diff swap. Im not splitting the case again....it would have bee cheper to do a swap.... the parts added up quickly...$800 later I got 7k more...not worth it
Old 07-23-2006, 09:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I wouldn't assume you have a Legacy transmission just because an aftermarket Legacy transmission filter fit it. I tried to get a transmission filter for my old '90 Legacy, back when I had it, and I went through a few different types before I found one that fit. And even then I still had to modify it a little to clear the pan.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-03-2006, 03:35 PM

the filtwer for the svx wouldnt fit only the legacy one, it looked the same and all but the svx wouldnt fit or look like the old one...how do I find out if I have the swap already?? anyone know>?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotchrocketony
the filtwer for the svx wouldnt fit only the legacy one, it looked the same and all but the svx wouldnt fit or look like the old one...how do I find out if I have the swap already?? anyone know>?
There are two different filter screens that are supplied for this 4EAT. Have a look here to read about it.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/24632.pdf

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.