Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 06-13-2006, 10:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Roof window - does not lift from time to time

Hi guys, does anybody had the same problem? Mine roof window does not lift from time to time, to open it, I have to push it little bit. I have tried to align it, use a lot of lubricants but it seems it has some mechanical problem, maybe easy to solve. Thanx for any hint.
Petr
Old 06-13-2006, 11:01 AM

yeah i gots that problem as well . It happens more often then not. Have to give it helping hand to open it, just a little push up. Yeah its been bugging me as well. I read some stuff about adjusting the clutch, but i don't know where it is. Any suggestions??
Old 06-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Some people have success with tightening that nut ever so slightly. The nut is under the round plastic cover in the roof liner.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Maineman1963
Yup we have the same problem with our sunroof ( or moon roof as our Japanese friends might describe it, well they did in a Toyota manual ! ). Just have to give it a gentle push.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:22 PM

My mechanic tried to do it but no result. It moves OK the only problem is to lift it up...
Old 06-15-2006, 06:33 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Petr

I'm presuming your mechanic took away the plastic disc in the roof lining, and adjusted the clutch?

It is commonly accepted that the motor gets "tired" with age, and the toughest part of its job is lifting the roof up from its fairly tight fit. If this is the case, then the cure would be either replacing the motor, or taking it apart and refurbishing it, lubrication, new brushes and so on. It strikes me that this would require taking the sunroof apart, and the roof lining, maybe more trouble than it is worth, to get at the motor.

Recently I have read a thread in the USA. Beav, who knows his stuff, says that the packing material around the roof swells with wet weather, making the roof a tight fit, making it stick. His cure is to clean it thoroughly, and to use plenty of lubricant to make it easy to shift upwards. This seems to work for him.

If it works for you, it is a solution. Otherwise, I would keep it lubricated and give it a nudge to kick up at the start. Unless you really really want to take it all apart?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I know it's not the gasket that prevents my sunroof from opening as I removed it completely and it still won't open on its own.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:46 PM

Yes Joe, this is exactly my case and all you are saying I was told by my mechanic as well. I was thinking that my mechanic is no willing to do this very complicated job so I am just asking. If it is really motor it is no reason to take risk and remove window and all stuff around. For me it is always risky to touch roof window, especially in old cars. It takes a lot of time and money and result is without using proper parts questionable - it will leak.
On my spare car I have it, roof is touched by tree but sunroof or at least all its parts except cover is useable. I will wait for motor to die and than will do this job. Strange think is that it seems it is better working on battery power or going in higher revs. I let alternator to repas for prevent reasons (just change bearings and other stuff around) and we will see.
Petr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: