Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-29-2006, 06:06 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
well if they took out the transmission then they prob. took out the CV shafts and if they did that then they definatly unbolted the lower ball joint... and that should be bolted back up if its going to be moved... you should go see the car they always crack me up when a car w/out a engine and/or tranny is rolling... they are like 3" higher
As the thread has become light hearted and rather OT, I will mention a time when I had by far the most frightening experience in my whole, now old, life.

I had removed the Ford V8 engine I had retrofitted to an AC sports car and a friend offered to tow me to his workshop to fit another upgraded engine. Under tow, at high speed behind a coupe used in competition, I soon realised what is mentioned above. My car simply would not steer. The battery was absent and I had no horn, in any event my friend is stone deaf. It became a ride to hell on the end of a rope, never to be forgotten.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:03 PM

I'm ashamed to admit it, but my SVX will remain at the transmission shop it was already at for the repair. I'm probably the most foolish member of this network. I was ready to yank it out of there this morning. A bigger, older, more intimidating, and hot-tempered friend of mine who previously believed that shop was trying to rip me off enthusiastically offered to come along in case I needed leverage. He stepped up as the spokesman, but the mechanic eventually convinced him that this rebuild was better than the swap. (Of his many points against the swap, the most convincing was about converting the differential to limited slip and the need to use parts from both the SVX and Outback diffs and that grinding the interior of the case and gear changing would be involved to make it work.) Since the last time I'd seen the car, they had removed the front wheels and disconnected the drive shaft from the differential, making it appear less mobile. This was a long discussion, but since I let my friend take the lead, once he became convinced, we were divided and conquered. Echoing what my dad had said days ago, my friend told me that I wouldn't be saving much money if I had [SVXfiles] do the swap for me once I factored in what I paid/owed this transmission shop and the gas for driving down to Cumberland twice. But then again, if it fails after just one year, then comparable prices are meaningless.

Rationalizations/self-delusions: the comparable (but slightly higher) price, avoiding hassles of taking it so far away for repairs, saving a AAA tow for later (I'll probably end up needing it! ), the measly 1-yr. warranty at least protects me from an instantaneous failure, a quick end to this ordeal - or at least this chapter of it, if he was able to convince even this fired-up friend, then maybe he really does believe this is a more durable solution.

The mechanic removed the flywheel for me, since I was going to take it to the junkyard to pick up one like it. (I didn't believe his claim that they had it for $60.) When his helper removed it, we could then see that there were wide cracks all around the circumference formed by the bolts, almost forming a cut-out. It would have completely failed very soon if not replaced! He called the junkyard, and their price was actually $20, delivered.

I forgot to press him for a written, broken-down estimate. I had mentioned it on the phone a couple days ago, and he said I'd get a break down at the end. I didn't press it then, because I was planning to pull the car.

Once we had established that the car was staying put and my friend was busy talking to the helper, the mechanic requested another $200 up front! Stalling, I said I'd have to go to the ATM. I told him that if I did and I paid cash for the whole job, I wanted him to work with me on the price. All he really offered was to drop the tax. This car offers me ample opportunities to prove my foolishness.