Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2006, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
reprograming a remote keyless

hey i just got my remote for my 92 LS-L and i can't seem to get it to program... i was hiting the secruity button for like 2 min. and no horn... is there a trick? how many times/how long should i be pressing it? if it is broken how would i be able to tell? is it possilbe that i don't have remote keyless entry?
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-14-2006, 08:44 AM
<<<Alcyone

Do you have a security button on your dashboard to the left of the steering column? When you press it does the little red light in the switch come on? If you answered yes to both of these questions I think you have a working security system.

If the red light doesn't come on it could corroded switch contacts or a blown fuse. If it's the contacts, just keep cycling the switch on and off for a while. I don't know where to look for the fuse if it's not the one in the fuse box. I've heard that Subaru likes to hide fuses and the radio/cd has five (?) different ones.

When I got my first SVX, the previous owner hadn't used his security system "for years" because his remotes were broken. I had to play with the switch quite a bit before I could get it to work consistantly enough to go into program mode.

I had the same issue with the cruise control switch, with my heavy right foot that was a greater concern . . .

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 05-14-2006, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
Do you have a security button on your dashboard to the left of the steering column? When you press it does the little red light in the switch come on? If you answered yes to both of these questions I think you have a working security system.

If the red light doesn't come on it could corroded switch contacts or a blown fuse. If it's the contacts, just keep cycling the switch on and off for a while. I don't know where to look for the fuse if it's not the one in the fuse box. I've heard that Subaru likes to hide fuses and the radio/cd has five (?) different ones.

When I got my first SVX, the previous owner hadn't used his security system "for years" because his remotes were broken. I had to play with the switch quite a bit before I could get it to work consistantly enough to go into program mode.

I had the same issue with the cruise control switch, with my heavy right foot that was a greater concern . . .

Good Luck,
Dan

ok so every one says it takes alot of time to get it in programing mode... how much is alot of time? 5 mins? or 2 hours? the red light comes on right away i just cant seem to get it to activate
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-14-2006, 06:29 PM
<<<Alcyone

Since your red light is coming on correctly, let's confirm you're going through the correct steps:

This procedure is used if you need to program a new transmitter or additional transmitters. Programming is done by pressing the button on the transmitter after entering the programming mode. To enter the programming mode, use the following procedure:

1-Turn the security system off by pushing the security switch (red light off).

2-Turn the ignition switch on, then off.

3-Immediately push the security switch on and off rapidly until the horn starts to beep; then stop pushing. If the horn doesn't start to beep within 15 seconds, stop, wait a few seconds and return to step 1.

The system is now in the programming mode and you are ready to program the transmitter.

The programming mode is indicated by the parking lights flashing and a clicking noise emanating from the glove box.

4-To program two transmitters slowly press the button three times on one remote, twice on the other one.

To program one transmitter slowly push the remote button five times. (Some instructions say four times total, others say five. When I got my new remotes, I had to press five times total.)

Note: The parking lights will turn on when the button is pushed and turn off when the button is released.

5-To exit programming mode, turn the ignition switch on, then off. The parking lights will stop flashing and the system can be used normally.

For me, the trickiest part was the getting the correct rate of on and off cycles with the security switch, not too fast but not too slow.

Dan
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 AM
It's pronounced &quot;Bee Rad.&quot;

A bit more specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil View Post

3-Immediately push the security switch on and off rapidly until the horn starts to beep; then stop pushing. If the horn doesn't start to beep within 15 seconds, stop, wait a few seconds and return to step 1.

The system is now in the programming mode and you are ready to program the transmitter.

The programming mode is indicated by the parking lights flashing and a clicking noise emanating from the glove box.

Dan
I'm an idiot when it comes to some things, so could you please break that down, Barney Style? By ON, you mean the second Key position before you turn the key to ignition, and by OFF, you mean the key all they way back and ready to be pulled out? I'm still having trouble getting into Programming Mode.

My keyless entry system used to work back in the day, but when I replaced my car battery, it stopped working (happened twice, but I don't remember how I fixed the keyless entry the first time).
Old 03-06-2008, 08:50 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
By ON, you mean the second Key position before you turn the key to ignition, and by OFF, you mean the key all they way back and ready to be pulled out?
If I remember correctly, you are right. All the way on just before the starter kicks in and all the way off so you can pull the key out. Give it a try.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 03-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil View Post
...4-To program two transmitters slowly press the button three times on one remote, twice on the other one.

To program one transmitter slowly push the remote button five times. (Some instructions say four times total, others say five. When I got my new remotes, I had to press five times total.)...
To clarify and further explain this step. Each transmitter has a separate code. The alarm module can store 5 different codes, and will use the most recent 5 codes that have been programmed.

So if you would take the the module from my car, install it into yours and then program by pressing your remote twice, the other three spots will still be programmed with my remote code. That is the reason that they tell you to press your remotes a total of five times. That way it will eliminate any other codes that have been stored.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 PM

Re: reprograming a remote keyless

I see this is an older thread, but, i have no security lamp on my dash and have an aftermarket keyless remote (Pursuit) for the locks, unhooked my battery , now remote wont operate locks.Who's instructions do i follow. Subaru or Pursuit?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by simboglide View Post
i have no security lamp on my dash and have an aftermarket keyless remote (Pursuit) for the locks, unhooked my battery , now remote wont operate locks. Who's instructions do i follow. Subaru or Pursuit?
Your car does not have the OEM module. You'll need to use the instructions for the "Pursuit" unit. But you will need to locate your aftermarket alarm "brain" (likely under the driver's side of the dash, but might be farther away), and get the brand and model number off it it. It may be something different than "Pursuit" (frequently, the same remote is used by many different "brain" models, and even different brands).

Once you have that, you'll need to get the programming instructions for that particular brand and model. Post what you find and I may be able to look them up for you.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
The alarm module can store 5 different codes, and will use the most recent 5 codes that have been programmed.

So if you would take the the module from my car, install it into yours and then program by pressing your remote twice, the other three spots will still be programmed with my remote code. ...
Have you actually tried that? For quite awhile I've asked people to test that, to see whether entering program mode clears all of the old codes first, or just replaces "spots" as you wrote. Are you sure it's a rotating list (always updates the oldest ones), or could it always be storing new codes starting with slot #1?

Also, some instructions say to program 4 times. Have you confirmed that the module really has 5 slots?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 PM

"Brain" is located inside the console, I've had it out but don't remember seeing a brand name on it. I'll double check tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Audiovox ELVAR5A , I've found some info on a 5C, but no 5A.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Have you actually tried that? For quite awhile I've asked people to test that, to see whether entering program mode clears all of the old codes first, or just replaces "spots" as you wrote. Are you sure it's a rotating list (always updates the oldest ones), or could it always be storing new codes starting with slot #1?

Also, some instructions say to program 4 times. Have you confirmed that the module really has 5 slots?
I haven't tested the 4 -v- 5 slot theory.

But I did take a module out of my car, move it into Melis's car and then programmed two slots with her remote. My remote still opened her car, untill I reprogrammed her module with 5 presses of her remote.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi

4-To program two transmitters slowly press the button three times on one remote, twice on the other one.

To program one transmitter slowly push the remote button five times. (Some instructions say four times total, others say five. When I got my new remotes, I had to press five times total.)

Note: The parking lights will turn on when the button is pushed and turn off when the button is released.

5-To exit programming mode, turn the ignition switch on, then off. The parking lights will stop flashing and the system can be used normally.

Worked perfectly!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Step 0: Make sure both doors and trunk are completely closed.