Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-23-2006, 12:06 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
At least that's a positive thing, it's only a $30 part and easy to replace since the transmission is already out!

Dan
Old 05-23-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
As for the mount I'm betting the driver's side mount has torn. If you can see it it will probably be oily due to the fluid having leaked out.
With the car up on a lift and the transmission out, would it be easy/cheap to replace that mount, or does the engine need to be lifted? Which fluid do you mean, the transmission fluid?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The engine mounts are liquid dampened.

It's easier to change the mounts with the tranny attached for balance.

Without the tranny the engine is only balancing on the 2 mounts. The engine must be lifted, exhaust removed at the manifolds for clearance.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:13 PM

I was afraid you were going to say something like that! So, if the mechanic working on my transmission replaces it, I'd have a whole big additional chunk of labor billed to me, right? After installing the transmission, he'd have to lower it to the ground, hoist the engine, install the mount, lift the car again, and reinstall the exhaust. The only shared labor is that the exhaust is already removed. I've looked up one of those mounts on SubaruParts.com, and see that it runs $163 there. I'm guess that that's not the kind of part I can expext to last if I get it from a junk yard. What's the consequence of not replacing it?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I'm guess that that's not the kind of part I can expext to last if I get it from a junk yard. What's the consequence of not replacing it?
Your engine will not be fully supported and will be able to flex. If you feel adventurous you can get some 1/4" plates made and use the STi mounts for cheaper than SVX mounts.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:44 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Your engine will not be fully supported and will be able to flex. If you feel adventurous you can get some 1/4" plates made and use the STi mounts for cheaper than SVX mounts.
More info please. I'm assuming this would be a bit firmer than stock SVX parts?

Dan
Old 05-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
More info please. I'm assuming this would be a bit firmer than stock SVX parts?
This is the same mod that TomsSVX and several others (including myself) have done on ours. I think he has a writeup somewhere.

They are firmer mounts but not harsh.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Your engine will not be fully supported and will be able to flex.
And will this "flexing" damage the engine or nearby parts/systems? Will it cause performance problems or generate annoying sounds? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with that term in relation to engines.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Meow!

It probably won't cause any damage as mine were bad for years. You will probably experience "thumps" when hitting larger bumps at speeds causing the engine to hop.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:12 PM

Luckily, it turns out that he meant a transmission mount, not an engine mount. But that's small consolation. He gave me an estimate to rebuild the transmission at about $1650 + the price of a new flywheel. When I once again brought up the idea of putting in a 4.44 transmission & differential from an Outback. He said it would probably cost about the same, but didn't come up with an estimate. He was hedging to do the rebuild.

Stalling, I told him I'd come in and bring my paperwork about the transmission swap. When I got there, he said he'd take it home and read it tonight, but he was still down-playing a swap, and pushing for the rebuild. He repeated that with the rebuild I'd have a 1-year warranty, but with a used transmission I'd have no warranty. (As if lasting for one single year is really a great deal!)

He showed me the crack in the flywheel. I told him that one of the reasons why I preferred the swap was that the SVX transmission is notoriously weak; he told me that all Subaru transmissions are. He said that the Outback and other similar Subaru transmissions are equally fragile, that my ~118 k mileage is typical for when they all fail, and that these transmissions are actually the same except for the gear ratios. That goes against what I've read here so often about even the SVX's transmission being marginally improved throughout its production run.

Then I told him that the other reason I preferred the swap is that I only had my car back for a little over a week after having a used (SVX) rear diff. installed when my transmission failed. So, maybe it was incorrectly installed or is faulty, and caused the transmission to fail. This was more of an excuse I used than my actual belief, but I've come to think it may actually be the case. He showed me my open transmission, the broken shaft, and showed me other parts that were bad, not that I could tell they were. He said it is very likely that a bad differential could have caused the problem. He said that the junkyard might have sold me a non-SVX Subaru differential. He said that they look the same from the outside.

He asked if the shop that installed the "new" diff. had opened it up before installing it. I knew they hadn't. He also asked if they still had it, but I knew they had already gotten rid of it. (Otherwise, I would have kept it.) In order for him to remove the current rear diff. (so he could open it up and see if it is an SVX diff.), he'd have to remove a bunch of stuff in the way, which he apparently doesn't want to do, and the implication is that it would be a bunch more labor billed to me. (His reaction to this indicated to me that he must have pretty much already had his mind set against doing a swap.) He offered to call the junk yard to see if he could find out from them if this diff. actually came from an SVX or not. I asked him if there were numbers on the diff. that would help identify it, and he said there were.

Ironically, the junkyard where I found it (the only one that had an SVX diff. in my immediate area.) is also the one I was planning to get an Outback diff. from.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Why cant I delete this post? I guess can one of the mods just delete my post.

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 05-26-2006 at 07:25 PM.