How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Doctornick
Please help school an old school subaru guy on SVX mods.

Hey guys. I've been on NASIOC since it was iclub & impreza-rs.com so I am not a big noob to subarus. I can admit that I know little to nothing about the SVX. While I have always wanted it, I could never find the money when a mint one went on sale around here. Anyways, before I start to rant...

I have an 11 sec daily driver 1994 station wagon. Its a mass hybrid of USDM/JDM STi, WRX and RS parts. Well the car is going down for the next year or so while I strip it to the shell for a major overhaul (EZ-R turbo conversion). So while its down, I wanna buy a SVX as a new daily driver. The mods will stay minimal as I wanna keep the car as GT as possible. I would like to do the following and am looking to tap into some of the SVX guru's here for details on my "goals"

1). I wanna do a MT conversion to the SVX. I would like to swap in my JDM 4.44 6MT into it. Anyone done a 6mt conversion? Any issues that differ from 6mt in compairson to the 5mt conversion?

2). Has anyone done an AEM ecu conversion to the car? I would imagine there isn't a wireing harness out. Are there other aftermarket complete ECU's that people have used? Is it even worthwhile?

Well those are the questions I am gonna load you guys with off the start. If you don't mind, I will keep adding them as I read thru your forums. I already read about people wanting to do an STi hub conversion and it not working out well. That is a disapointment as I kinda wanted to do a suspension conversion (stock STi suspension including difs, axles, hubs, struts, swaybars). I guess I will keep looking.

Thanks for your time. Sorry about the long message.
-DoctorNick
Old 05-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Welcome.
A few 6mt conversions have been done. Tom and Mike spring to mind. It requires a different rear diff if memory serves me right. R180 I believe.

AEM I don't know, but a couple people have used Megasquirt and a few others. I personally don't feel it's worthwhile unless you are building a FI car from the ground up as ECUTune is practically spearheading the SVX FI/tuning movement and LAN's software is top notch.

You won't need an STI suspension as there are SVX parts available from Koni and a particular member here. Koni has struts and Mychailo can be contacted for springs and swaybars.
We also have a custom bushing group buy going on atm if you want in.
---
I'm sure everyone with their individual, masterful input will chime in soon. (:

At any rate you can search specific keywords and find all the info you need, as most of the threads are recent and not buried in crap. (;

---

Oh here, I just looked at your first thread from 2003, and you inquired about cams. That info is way outdated and a few members have aggressive cams installed with great success.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 05-03-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Neal

I don't believe we've met but I'm a Detroit area SVX owner who knows Ben and the Hodges staff as well as number of Detroit area guys (Clayton, Joe, Mykr, Fred (RIP #92), Seth). That said, figgered I'd jump in.

Six speed conversions -CHECK. Four (?) running now, though I don't believe any are using the JDM trans and 4.44:1 diffs

AEM-No one that I'm aware of here is using any standalone management. Lots o'talk though.

Best of luck in your searches.

Todd (aka wawazat on NABISCO MWSOC)
Old 05-03-2006, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Doctornick
Thanks for the quick answers.
Todd, I am pretty sure we met a year or so back. I was up there for a meet a few months before fred died too

Idealy, my SVX would be setup like this for a daily driver:

Slighty more agressive cam, quiet headerback exhaust and a quiet intake(had a cobb on the RS, that dam thing was as loud as hell). Tuned on an AEM ecu (friend works for AEM). The drivetrain would be finished with a stock STi clutch and my rear 4.44 STi 6mt (I have 3 r160 4.44 rear ends out of a FXT, so I am not too consirned about the rear dif situation, unless you NEED r180s on this car. Will read into that though). I would also like to transfer over my 4 pot brakes and throw on a set of STi wheels. Besides that stuff, maybe a little more sound deadening and maybe re-leather the seats.

Long list, but I am nuts. What can I say. lol.

I would like to ask, what points to this car do you hate? bad blind spot? Normal subaru creeks and cracks? bad paint (duh its a subaru!). Are there anything I should be looking out for when looking to buy one of these cars?

Again, thanks for the responces. I appologise if this is cloggin your forums and the mods can delete if needed.

-Neal
Old 05-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctornick
I would like to ask, what points to this car do you hate? bad blind spot? Normal subaru creeks and cracks? bad paint (duh its a subaru!). Are there anything I should be looking out for when looking to buy one of these cars?

-Neal
There are no blind spots. No weird noises (on my car, though others complain a lot ). Paint is awesome. After 14 years mine isn't even faded.

Considering what you are going to do, I wouldn't worry too much. The biggest headache is the transmission, but you are relpacing that. Some say the bearings go bad, but mine are original. A bad installation will make them fail prematurely.
Look for body damage. It's a sure sign of a beat car that probably wasn't taken care of.
Really if you have a bit of disposable income you can't go wrong with the SVX.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:27 PM

hmmm mostly watch out for power steering leaks mainly in the high pressure line, also leaks on the valve covers makes you look like batman with smoke trails! alternator woes for some of the members usually a rebuild will fix it also do a search for the alt mod that seems to be popular,i would say tranny but your going to covert so thats outta the list other than that the car is pretty solid!

Welcome and enjoy the car and the network.
p.s get the clear lens kit with the grill from smallcar.com
give the car a new look!
Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Again, thanks for the responces. I appologise if this is cloggin your forums and the mods can delete if needed.

-Neal
Clogging teh forums! Heh - post all you want we have some wh0res here that think it's their job.

Check this out for common problem areas on used svx's
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/19523.doc
Since you are looking to replace most of the driveline I think the main thing to look for is a southern (rust free) car. The rest is replaceable. Maybe listen for bad wheel bearings and check the steering rack.

There are some other good links on reading vin #s, fixes, etc. in the how to documents (upper right) that might help you out in your search.

Welcome again to the site.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 05-03-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
the only noise i get is the dreded mufler 1900 RPM buzz but that is a very easy fix... i would talk to Dayle for all... MOST of your SVX needs @ www.motorsportwarehouse.com... its hard to find a quiet exaust for these engines... its kind of like finding quiet strate pipes for a pick up... the cold air you can buy from Dayle is quiet untill you stomp on it of course! i would recomend one of the many he has
Old 05-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctornick
Hey guys. I've been on NASIOC since it was iclub & impreza-rs.com so I am not a big noob to subarus. I can admit that I know little to nothing about the SVX. While I have always wanted it, I could never find the money when a mint one went on sale around here. Anyways, before I start to rant...

I have an 11 sec daily driver 1994 station wagon. Its a mass hybrid of USDM/JDM STi, WRX and RS parts. Well the car is going down for the next year or so while I strip it to the shell for a major overhaul (EZ-R turbo conversion). So while its down, I wanna buy a SVX as a new daily driver. The mods will stay minimal as I wanna keep the car as GT as possible. I would like to do the following and am looking to tap into some of the SVX guru's here for details on my "goals"

1). I wanna do a MT conversion to the SVX. I would like to swap in my JDM 4.44 6MT into it. Anyone done a 6mt conversion? Any issues that differ from 6mt in compairson to the 5mt conversion?

2). Has anyone done an AEM ecu conversion to the car? I would imagine there isn't a wireing harness out. Are there other aftermarket complete ECU's that people have used? Is it even worthwhile?

Well those are the questions I am gonna load you guys with off the start. If you don't mind, I will keep adding them as I read thru your forums. I already read about people wanting to do an STi hub conversion and it not working out well. That is a disapointment as I kinda wanted to do a suspension conversion (stock STi suspension including difs, axles, hubs, struts, swaybars). I guess I will keep looking.

Thanks for your time. Sorry about the long message.
-DoctorNick

I thought you said old school? Subaru has been around a lot longer than 11 year. Suspension wise you can make OBS/WRX crap work but you need to do some work and it'll jack that rear up like a 60s funny car. Front end will be dragging on the ground but they can be made to fit w/ a grinder. I wouldn't advise it for a street car though (as one who has a car with Impreza rear struts and springs and Impreza springs up front).
Old 05-04-2006, 09:35 AM
SVXist Pig

Hmmm...

If you haven't sourced your SVX yet, I have a 1992 LS with 93k miles already swapped to a 4.44 Outback automatic / rear end. All you would have to go MT is the tranny. Search my name for my FS thread(s). I'll bump.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Ecu

Remember that the 96 and 97 are OBDII systems. Of course there are several of us on here that would like to see some ECU improvements for these years-----so go ahead and get a 96 or 97 and have your friend do the work. He might even make some money.

The SVX will never be an 11 second car--not even close--, but I think you will enjoy it.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-04-2006, 05:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
The SVX will never be an 11 second car--not even close--, but I think you will enjoy it.

Lee

NEVER say never i hope to bring mine to 10 sec car... some time with in the next 10 years... hey if they can do it to a civic running 32 psi boost then I can to it to a car thats actually worth it!
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-04-2006, 06:13 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:

Lee
http://ecutune.com/svx-stage3.htm
Old 05-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:

Lee
So the challenge is on then huh? Phil, think u wanna race me to the prize?? I think I can handle another 85hp shot as an initial stage and then the full 165+85 for the second stage? AH crap.... big boom

But to get back on topic, here is what the 4 of us have running along the lines of 6mt's
1. Alexumn- JDM close ratio open center and open front diff
2. Subafreak- JDM close ratio open center and LSD front diff
3. TomsSVX- JDM close ratio DCCD center and Suretrac front diff
4. Mikecg- JDM close ratio open center and LSD front diff

No problems with any of the cars and come next week, Mikecg and I should have the fastest svxes out there. Just a lil tid bit

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 05-05-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the site and good luck with your project.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872