Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Loyal Subie-ist

Send a message via MSN to SubyLuver
Safe Tranny Temps

I am looking at my temp gauge after some serious driving and it seems to get up to about 220F... I believe I am supposed to be at 170-190 Max right? I have a External cooler in front of my radiator with a external tranny filter behind my drivers side tie down hook... I am wondering what else I could do? Switch to a 6 speed? heheh
And Ideas?
(To-do list Koni Struts & Springs lacking funds)
Old 04-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I would get similar temps 220F if I drove hard on a hot day up hills or stop-N-go and in the other range for normal driving 190F. There is a range of temps depending on the car, driver and location of the temperature pick-up, insulated or not. I would like to see temperature numbers for a pick-up in the sump, AT pan.

The hottest temperatures are when the TC is not locked-up.
The temperature will get lower when the TC is locked-up and then
when the TC unlocks the temps go right back up again.
This happens because the flow thru the TC is completely blocked off when the TC is locked-up and does not go to the cooler. So the high temperature stays in the TC until it unlocks the next time. The temperature you are reading will go down a lot if the TC is locked-up long enough.

So the HIGH temperature you are reading is not the actual fluid temperature that goes to the bearings and clutch packs. It is the temperature after the TC when it is unlocked or the temperature of the sump when the TC is locked-up.
The actual temperature of the fluid going to the cluctches and bearings is the temperature of the sump.

The flow arrangement is set-up so that the cooler is removing the heat from the TC. The un-locked TC is the major source of heat in the transmission.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Loyal Subie-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
I would get similar temps 220F if I drove hard on a hot day up hills or stop-N-go and in the other range for normal driving 190F. There is a range of temps depending on the car, driver and location of the temperature pick-up, insulated or not. I would like to see temperature numbers for a pick-up in the sump, AT pan.

The hottest temperatures are when the TC is not locked-up.
The temperature will get lower when the TC is locked-up and then
when the TC unlocks the temps go right back up again.
This happens because the flow thru the TC is completely blocked off when the TC is locked-up and does not go to the cooler. So the high temperature stays in the TC until it unlocks the next time. The temperature you are reading will go down a lot if the TC is locked-up long enough.

So the HIGH temperature you are reading is not the actual fluid temperature that goes to the bearings and clutch packs. It is the temperature after the TC when it is unlocked or the temperature of the sump when the TC is locked-up.
The actual temperature of the fluid going to the cluctches and bearings is the temperature of the sump.

The flow arrangement is set-up so that the cooler is removing the heat from the TC. The un-locked TC is the major source of heat in the transmission.

Lamens terms... The actual fluid temp hitting my clutches and bearings is going to be lower that the temp coming out of my tranny and into my external filter/gauge?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyLuver
Lamens terms... The actual fluid temp hitting my clutches and bearings is going to be lower that the temp coming out of my tranny and into my external filter/gauge?
Yes, but 220F is still pretty high. I'd recommend switching to a synthetic ATF such as Redline or Amsoil. The synthetics can handle higher temperatures without breaking down.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Loyal Subie-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Yes, but 220F is still pretty high. I'd recommend switching to a synthetic ATF such as Redline or Amsoil. The synthetics can handle higher temperatures without breaking down.
Sorry I forgot to mention, I am using Mobile One Full-Syn... I plan on taking this car to the track so I want to be sure that it is safe on the tranny... I also need to get new struts when I get the funds (soon)... Hopefully someone has a good deal on them (you)...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
My normal trany temps are 150 on the high way. I've gotin the temp up to 200 once. But most of the time when it gets over 160 it with drop right back down in like 5 minutes.
I got a PWR radator, perma cool filter, and my temp sensor is in the filter base.