Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-13-2005, 08:10 PM
The Molinator

Oil Leaking...........stillllllll!!!!!!!

After my $3000 (+) head gasket job, I just noticed I'm getting oil leaking (again) from my engine....onto the driver's side catalytic convertor (sometimes creating a minor smoke billowing situation!).......YIKES! I replaced every gasket and seal I could think of...evidently I overlooked at least ONE! Seems to be coming from rear driver side of engine...???? Is there anything in that area that could explain such a mild to moderate oil leak (which sometimes ends up dripping onto the top of the driver's side catalytic convertor...causing ANNOYING SMOKE!) [It's dripping enough so that in 2 weeks, I've accumulated a 5 to 6 inch diameter oil spot in my garage.]

Please speculate on the source of this leak.....

THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Are you sure it is oil and not trans fluid? Mine had a mild leak in that area which progressed into a severe leak. There are two lines for trans fluid to travel to the cooler and back. Between the engine and transmission there are hoses and if the clamps come loose they will leak ATF all over the drivers side cat.

These clamps can be a pain to get to, the one that was causing most of my problems couldn't be seen, I had to find and tighten it "blindly"

If it is oil though, my guess would be valve cover gaskets...
Old 09-14-2005, 08:01 PM
The Molinator

Leak!

I'LL CHECK!......Thanks!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 09-14-2005, 08:57 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Rear Cam Seal. My car did the same thing. I switched from 10-30 dino oil to 20-50 dino oil and the leak basically disappeared.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-15-2005, 06:59 AM
Jayahalasi

Is it really wise to put heavier oil like that into our cars?

ohh..... well he has a legacy.. but still.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:46 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
Rear Cam Seal. My car did the same thing. I switched from 10-30 dino oil to 20-50 dino oil and the leak basically disappeared.
Rear cam seal? Not likely. We don't have one.
Only source of oil leaks on the rear of the engine is the rear main seal (crank seal).

In any event it is better to fix the leaks than put in a heavier weight oil.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:54 AM

sorry do not mean to tread jack. i justreplaced my valve cover gaskets. and there is still something leaking from the back of the motor. i get smoke at stop lights from rear of the motor
Brembo Cross-Drilled/ Slotted Rotors. Front and Rear
4.44 gears

now in better hands of svxfiles
Old 09-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If it is oil it could be the rear main seal.
If it is tranny fluid it could be the power steering lines or the rack leaking.

Also - front main seals or cam seals can leak out the timing cover, then while driving the wind blows it back onto the exhaust and it appears to be coming from the back of the engine.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
If it is oil it could be the rear main seal.
If it is tranny fluid it could be the power steering lines or the rack leaking.

Also - front main seals or cam seals can leak out the timing cover, then while driving the wind blows it back onto the exhaust and it appears to be coming from the back of the engine.
i know it is not the rear main seal because i just got my transmisson replaced. by svxfiles. and he would have told me if there was anything wrong.

i think it is the rack or power steering lines. because even in traffic sitting in one spot it will will start smoking untill i turn the car off
4.44 gears

Old 09-16-2005, 02:05 AM
The Molinator

Leaky

Be sure to check the Power Steering fluid reservoir to verify the loss of fluid! My mechanic told me he was gonna replace the Rack & Pinion, convinced that it was the source of my "oil lleak". I decided to watch the power steering fluid level....only to find IT NEVER DID GO DOWN OR LOSE ANY power steering fluid level!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott
Be sure to check the Power Steering fluid reservoir to verify the loss of fluid! My mechanic told me he was gonna replace the Rack & Pinion, convinced that it was the source of my "oil lleak". I decided to watch the power steering fluid level....only to find IT NEVER DID GO DOWN OR LOSE ANY power steering fluid level!

sometimes it goes down then it will full again. both times the car sitting for 5-6 hours before being checked
4.44 gears

Old 10-20-2005, 08:02 PM
The Molinator

No Mas!

Thanks for the input guys...and the idea Dave! I decided to try tightening the clamps on the short connector tubes you mentioned for the ATF fluid going to and from the ATF cooler in the bottom of the radiator. NO MORE LEAK! THANKS!

I wanted to follow up with this question for your sakes....because I can't stand a thread that fizzles out in the end .....with no resolution...???

THANKS AGAIN!